Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ace The Journey Back  (Read 926 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Ace The Journey Back
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:44:14 am »

As you all know I got Ace back in June of this year in horrible condition.  STARVED doesn't begin to tell it.
Now it is mid November and I am happy to say he is doing very well and you would never know he ever missed a meal.

I have had a saddle on him and will be riding him at some point soon. 
I like the mew site, I hope we have as much fun here as we have had on theold site.

Judi
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Ace The Journey Back
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:13 am »

Yesterday and today (so far) have been spent removing 9 years of stuff from the barn where Duncan has lived.
I have to sort through it all, the truck is FULL, and decide what goes to the new barn, what stays here or in the trailer and what I will want to sell.
Believe me there is lots of STUFF.  LOL.

I will be moving Duncan at the end of this week to the barn where Ace is so they will both be in the same spot and I will have more time with both of them.  Duncan is sound at the moment but that can change fast.
Ace is doing well and I am doing ground work with him and getting ready to ride him myself.  That ought to be a hoot.  I'll make sure Lorna takes pictures so you all can get a good giggle.

Weather is cold and very windy here in RI today.  I know there is wild weather throughout the country and hope you all stay safe.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

I moved Duncan today and now my boys are standing, munching hay side by side in their paddocks.  Duncan has a large turnout with a run in AND a box stall!!!  He settled in like he had lived there all his life.  I LOVE off the track horses  LOL  When they are as good as Duncan and Ace that is.

So, I am in for the night, the horses are where they should be together and life is good.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »

Duncan settled in well.  We have had nasty weather here all day, so I am very glad I was able to move him yesterday.  Hauling in the kind of weather we have had here all day would not have been fun.

Ace is in the paddock next to him and it's all good.
Now I have to get the extra stall set up so it's all mine. A great area for tack and hay stuff like that.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:29 pm »

Ace continues to do well.  This morning I went out and scrubbed all the mud off of him.  Seems to me being a walking pile of dried mud is a Standardbred thing.  After we got him scrubbed clean and did his feet, I combed out, washed and conditioned his tail.  It's cold here so he was not real thrilled with me.  I used MTG on him and braided up his tail and bagged it.  I am hoping we get some nice growth on his tail this winter.

We had to put the rear shoes back on Duncan yesterday as he was lame.
But, he is walking sound today.  We did up his tail also.  But I die his up because it is long and full and I hate having to pick and comb it out, so this is just the easy way to keep it looking pretty good.  They both have full, thick winter coats so the do not look like show horses at all.

We are waiting for a snow and ice storm that will start later on tonight.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 10:22:12 am »

Ace continues to do well and is enjoying his private paddock and all the hay one little horse can eat.

Duncan has had his rear shoes replaced and is sound again.  Go figure.
We have an appointment with the Vet for Jan 9th to take a look at his right front as my farrier is sure the coffin bone is rotating.  He has not foundered and both the vet and fattier believe it's from all the abcesses from this summer that have done damage.

It's a good thing I got Ace back because I am not sure how much riding Duncan is going to be able to tolerate.

Other than that it's a big 14 here this am and snowing.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14:05 am »

I went out to the barn already this morning.
Both Ace and Duncan are very fuzzy and seem very content in the new barn.  Well, new to Duncan.  Ace has been there since I went to get him in late June.

We are getting ready for our awards banquet tomorrow afternoon.
Duncan will be receiving 2 championships and a res.  He has been retired so these are his last awards from the show ring.

Ace will go to the trainer in mid Feb if the weather says we can do this.  He will have to be body clipped and have shoes on his fronts so he doesn't get footsore.

So far it has been a nice quiet holiday season and I really hope it stays that way.

The vet is coming out Jan 9th to do a set of pictures of Duncan's right front foot as it appears the Coffin Bone has started to rotate.  My farrier will be there also so they can figure out what we need to do with the big guy.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:23 am »

I went to the barn this morning to pay the boys rent for January.  They were both just covered in mud.  So, in the 17 degree weather, I hauled them into the barn and groomed them both.  Everything is all frozen up again so maybe they will stay clean for at least a few minutes.

They both look great and seem happy.  Ace will be headed to the trainer in Mid Feb, weather permitting. 
So from our barn to you all Happy New Year to you all.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:49:28 pm »

The vet came out today (yes he works on Sunday).
He examined Duncan and took x rays of the front feet.  Two of each one.  He will have the results back on Tuesday and will call me.  However, I have to start soaking and wrapping the right front as we think there is something brewing in it.  He cleaned Ace's sheath, and all in all it was not a bad day.
The bill was not as much as I thought it would be and the boys were perfect!  Love it when you do not have to sedate to do stuff to them.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »

Tomorrow I am going to ride Duncan.  The farrier says it's ok to give it a go.  He has shoes on all 4.  Not really my choice but as I said before, at this point, I show up at the barn with my checkbook!!  I have to put my trust in the Vet and Farrier.  Both are very good at what they do.

Ace was not a really good boy for the farrier this am, so I will start heavy duty ground work with him.  He is going to the trainer next month so I am sure his attitude will change a lot.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 09:03:08 am »

This morning I took advantage of the nice mild weather we are having here in RI and headed out to the barn with my clippers in hand.
I brought Ace in and groomed him and trimmed up his head.  He was not thrilled but didn't give me any trouble. 
He will be going to the trainer at some point this month.  I am looking forward to getting him going so I can ride him.

He is looking really good and feeling even better.  I am really looking forward to this show season.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:20 am »

Spent some time at the barn this am.  groomed them both and then put the cutback on Ace, it looks good.  Thanks Raylin.
He will be headed to the trainer next month, weather permitting, sooner rather than later.  I really want to start riding him myself but will not until he has a few miles on him.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:43 am »

I talked to the Barn Owner at the farm where Ace will be going for training and it's looking like at least mid March because of the ICE here in RI.
We are back in the deep freeze again and it is white cement time.  I swear I could drive my truck across my yard and would not make a dent in it.  YUCK.

Ace continues to do very well, I am doing ground work with him, it's difficult due to the ice but we are doing something at least.  I am excited to, hopefully be on him, by mid April and then it's just work hours.  Our first show is mid June and our first barrel run can be anytime after mid May.  Time will tell.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »

I will post this on Ace's Journal.
My Barn Owner called a bit ago to tell me her 33 yr old QH mare, Dolly was not "right"  Nothing she could put her finger so she had the vet on the way.  We talked a bit and I reminded her that Dolly was 33 and up until today had been in great shape for a horse of any age.
WELL, she just called me back and Dolly was euthanized.  The Vet said there was something going on with her heart and he could not treat her and Lorna said I will let her go.

She has had this horse since the horse was 12 years old and let me tell you that mare could flat out run barrels last year just for fun one of the girls took her to a run and spanked everybody in the 1D time slot.  She ran a 15 something at the age of 32.  She will be missed.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:30 am »

I will be very happy when April 1st gets here and Ace goes to the trainer.
He is so full of himself, bucking and running and KICKING in the stall at food time.  I am going to fix his little wagon on that bad habit this week.  I think he won't be doing that anymore.

I have been sick for about 4 days, some kind of virus that's going around so I am hoping it's about done with me.

So, in about 2 weeks he'll be going to Ben and then the fun begins.  I really think he'll be pretty easy to get going well because he has that wonderful STB work ethic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up