Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The story of Rose  (Read 2380 times)

Barb CO

Re: The story of Rose
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »

Wednesday there was a storm moving in and Rose was quite wound up by the weather and pacing the fenceline. Nonetheless she came up to me and allowed me to halter her with only a tiny flinch. I thought that was quite good especially since I had never put her halter back on since I took it off. Never hurts to check and be sure you can. :-)
Today was rain and then snow. I blanketed all the horses except Rose when it started to rain. She wasn't quite ready to wear a blanket yet but was amazingly willing to try. She stayed with me quietly even when Sage and Sunshine went galloping around their pen. And I had Josie in with her all day and observed them periodically. Rose showed no aggressiveness towards her whether I was there or not beyond the normal refusing to share her pile of hay. But Josie still managed to steal a few bites. :-)
So really no issues at all are showing up beyond what I expected in the very beginning. And she's making progress every time I work with her which is very fun to see.

Barb CO

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 09:02:42 am »

I need to remember to update here, not just on FB. I put Sage and Rose back together and they are getting along just fine. This is easier since neither of them are IR and I can leave hay out all the time for them.
About 10 days ago I did some Masterson Method bodywork on both of them. Both were incredibly responsive to it. I'm pretty sure Rose got in her afternoon nap with her chin resting in my elbow with the entire weight of her head on my arm, my hand massaging her poll , her eyes closed and resting a hind leg. Sage was almost as bad with that technique. I knew both would have a lot of tension in their polls but was surprised at how reactive Sage was at her stifle points. Rose also really enjoyed the thumb on the roof of her mouth technique. I ended up kneeling down to do it because she stretched her neck down and was doing all kinds of yawning and releasing tension in her TMJ and poll.
It is really encouraging that even though it's winter and I haven't spent all that much time with her, I can see improvements in Rose every time I do work with her. And the improvements are visible in just the daily interactions with her. She has definitely turned into "my" girl. Soon I want to start taking her places and have other people handle her. She needs to have her teeth done and I want her to be comfortable being handled by other people before I have the vet out.

Barb CO

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:39 am »

The storms that have been moving thru this area were first snow but now have turned to mixed snow/rain or even just rain. Rose and Sage haven't been a fan of using their run-in shed so I put together some pipe panels in the pole barn and brought them in to dry them off Monday. Since then I've been bringing them in every evening and turning them out in the morning. This has been really good for Rose. What is rather funny is that Rose is more settled and relaxed about all this then Sage. I've come to the conclusion that Sage must be part paso fino - she's a little pistol sometimes. Not hard to handle but definitely full of it. :-) Rose on the other hand is acting like a nice mellow QH. LOL! Rose has even gotten just a touch pushy with me a couple times. It's actually nice to see her comfortable enough to be checking out where the boundaries are. Last night Rose was the first to meet me at the gate and was quite sure that she should be haltered first and taken into the barn. Not pushy or anything but just standing right beside me with a definite purpose in mind. :-) Regardless of whether I take her in or out first or second, she stays quite calm and leads quietly.
It is quite fun to see the personality and disposition that I knew was there show up more and more. I don't consider Sage a spooky horse although she has some claustrophobia issues with tight spaces like the trailer that we are working thru right now. She's good about things like a chicken trying to fly across the yard and landing right behind her! But I do think Sage will be the hotter, more sensitive horse of the two in the long run. It really wouldn't surprise me if Sage were part paso fino like Rose. Regardless, both horses are going to be fun rides and good trail horses. I do think that growing up in the mountains in most likely rough terrain has contributed to making them sure footed and tough which should make trail riding easier.

Barb CO

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »

Jan 11 - I would like to introduce you to Miss I Love The Barn and Won't You Catch Me First Please Rose. LOL!

Barb CO

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:52 pm »

Jan 12- And this is Miss "Did Somebody Call Me A Scaredy Cat Horse" Rose. :-)

Barb CO

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:51 pm »

Jan 13 - What was fun about Rose last night was her attitude. I just walked into her pen with the towel and raised it up to her neck and she was like "whatever". I could flip it over her neck, over her back, etc with no problem. Then I grabbed the saddle pad. Same thing - just no big deal. I didn't have to go thru a process to put the towel on her head and let it hang down her face. I just did it. And there was a tie rope from a highline hanging down in this stall that she hadn't seen before. At first her eyes got big but then her natural curiosity got the better of her and she was touching it with her nose trying to figure it out.This is the horse that I knew Rose really was. She still has a ways to go but IMO we're over the hardest part. I'm so happy for her because her world is a much better place now that she's not so scared than it was last August or even November when I brought her back home. :-)

Barb CO

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 11:05:43 pm »

Jan 14 - No need to worry about dehydration with Rose. She drinks water anywhere. I fill up a bucket and she has to take a sip. I put in a new bucket and she has to take a drink. I was leading her out of the barn today and she wanted to go see some tubs sitting on the ground - with melted snow and rainwater in them - and take a drink. Having had horses that are picky you just gotta love one that will drink anywhere, anytime and out of anything!

Barb CO

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2017, 11:06:46 pm »

Jan 16 - LOL! Rose is starting to really express her personality and opinions - and so far it's a bit donkey like! She swished her tail at me when she thought I was walking away from her - that is just classic Josie behavior. And this morning when I took her out of the barn, she didn't want to go in to her pen. She was a bit like Molly then looking at me with this "but, but, but we should just stay out here and do something fun!" expression. She is emotionally very much like a foal learning to interact with people. She's learning self control as we work thru these things and she will learn appropriate ways to express her opinions when interacting with people. Rose - the horse that took her owner 4 hours to catch last spring and 45 minutes in the dead of summer and only by being cornered - doesn't want her person to leave her now. :-)

Barb CO

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:24 pm »

Jan 19 - I got the large bale moved out of the way and it's snowing so I brought Sage and Rose in again this evening. Rose and I had a discussion on whether she would prefer to be a wild mustang or a domesticated horse that could wear a blanket. She was willing to give the blanket a try and was good even with the belly straps. She wasn't quite sure she could actually move while wearing it though so I took it back off. We'll leave that part of the lesson for when she's outside and can just wear it around all day.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »

Barb...this needs an update
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up