Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The story of Rose  (Read 2339 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
The story of Rose
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:17:09 pm »

Putting this here as it is a better place for a long term conversation/journal.

This is my side of the story, Barb and April can give theirs.

I am looking for a new guest horse, Barb knows this.  A few weeks ago she sent me a Craigslist ad for a 4 year old Paso Fino/QH mare for $500.  It was on Barb's way to work, so she volunteered to check it out for me...you never know?  So, she did stop, and called me to say, this horse is NOT what you need.  The owner could not catch the horse, and refused to ride it if he could.  The next day the ad was changed to list the price at $200.  Barb had seen a scared but willing horse, and now she was afraid of kill buyers.  She went back and bought the horse with the intention of giving it to a local rescue that puts 90 days of quality training on their horses, then finds them a good home.

When she had called to say the horse was not for me, I was out riding with Jane and April.  As I described what the horse was, apparently April was intrigued.  April is currently a dental tech at my dentist, but has worked as a horse trainer for a rental string of horses in the past.  Somehow, she and Barb started talking, and April decided this would be a good project.  April has a yearling Peruvian Paso she boards with me, but Lila will not be ready for an adult rider until at least age 3....2 more years.  So, here is a more immediate saddle training project.

Barb was already planning to meet me in the Black Hills to exchange Lola, her mini.  So now she would just bring the extra horse.

Rose....Rose is very very scary, of a lot of things people do.  But she actually has a big desire to please people.  You can see hear fear and desire to please waring with each other in her eyes.

She is very difficult to catch, she likes to stay just out of arms reach.  But once caught, she is easy to work with as long as you move quietly. 

Here are some photos, and they Barb and April can continue her story.  She boards at my house, but I will try to handle her as little as possible until she has a good bond with April.

Rose in the Black Hills

With Barb in the Black Hills

Unloaded at my house

April working with her today
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Barb CO

Re: The story of Rose
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:00 pm »

Did Kysa mention that I just love this horse even though she was only at my place for 2 weeks? When I looked at her I just saw a very scared horse but sweet, sweet, sweet. When I picked her up it took us 45 minutes to an hour to catch her - by cornering her with a rope in her pasture. When I finally approached her and touched her, she was terrified and wanted to explode - but didn't run over me or try to go over the fence. When I got her home she had to wait in the trailer while I made her pen smaller and fed the other horses. She made one little whinny and then stood quietly the whole time with no pawing or fussing. That impressed me. While she was here I only caught her and worked with her a couple of times but every time she was definitely better. She started to nicker when I came out to feed, she has a heart shaped wiggly upper lip and I found out she likes to play in water and play with the water hose as well as bob for hay cubes in her tank. She's scared of anything involving humans and objects they are holding but not scared of things themselves. I can rub her tummy all the way back to and including her udder but I can't touch her legs without her being scared. She's scared of me moving the fly spray bottle around but not of being sprayed. It is very interesting but you can always see in her eyes that she wants to be friendly. I believe that once April gains her trust, the rest of her training will be easy. She's a solid mare, maybe 14.2?. And I'm betting that she will be gaited. There is something in her movement that is very paso like.

Mamafourboys

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »

:D I will say Barb sent me a beautiful horse! I spent about 2 hours with Rose this afternoon. Kysa and I worked on catching her in the round pen for well over 30 mins without any luck... she's extremely nervous, but will stop and watch you, then slowly walk backwards and avoid you!
Kysa left and I spent another 30 mins just hanging out and fed her grass. Using a lunge line to make the round pen smaller and I was able to walk up to her.
You can feel her tension and uneasiness, but she is so curious and wants to trust me!
I rubbed her all over and managed very slowly and quietly to spray flyspray on her.
I turned her loose in the round pen and caught her 3 more times with less work than before. Tossed her part of a bale and said goodbye.
As I got in my car she was standing there with her head over the panel's watching me go.
We've got a long road ahead of us Miss Rose...you are beautiful and smart and willing to trust again...so am I!
Tomorrow pretty girl I'll be back, tomorrow!   :-*

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 05:22:21 am »

I REALLY like the looks of this mare.  Good luck to you and this project.  I bet in the end you will have a really nice little horse.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:51:56 am »

As a owner of a paso , they are different then most breeds, when she finally trust you, you will have a friend for life. But on the second note, she will have that nervousness about her always. Like me, if you like the horse you learn to work with it, smooth,quite, movements. They give big rewards. Wishing you the best with her.

Kalli

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:33:44 am »

What a wonderful story!  Can't wait to read more as this progresses!

I'm always sad when I think that I started riding too late to ever be able to raise and train my own horse.  But it's nice to read of the adventures of others who are going through this process. 

Barb, bless you for seeing the potential in this horse and going back for her!  And same goes for Kysa and April, for being willing to help Rose become all she can be. 

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »

Interesting, Cowgirl Up.

We have another Paso Fino, but I am pretty sure she was always handled gently.  She has never been fearful.  I honestly think Rose was just handled roughly.  Not abused as we usually think, just cowboyed, and she is reluctant to tolerate that. 

I predict a year from now she will have normal reactions and will not jump out of her skin all the time.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »

I hope so, they are very nice horses.🙂

Mamafourboys

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »

Beautiful afternoon today, I decided to spend some quiet time with Miss Rose and ate my lunch sitting next to her round pen. At first she came close and stood and watched me. Then she blew a few times and shook her head. I  reached my hand through the panel and she gobbled up a slice of my apple and continued to watched me eat.
I stood and reached through with another apple slice. She didn't flinch or shy away. I made her touch my hand with her nose first then offered another slice.  She caught on fast and touched my hand wanting more! So I gave my apple up to Rose! She allowed me to scratch her nose, side of her jaw, and her crazy star on her pretty little head!
This may be my new daily lunch date...but I'll bring my own apple!!!

riding the sun

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 03:24:12 pm »

I love reading this. 
My favorite trail is the next one

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:14 am »

I've never owned a Paso Fino, but several of my friends have them. Like any breed, there are different personality types. Some are fairly laid back and others...the best word I can think of to describe them is "jittery". It's not fear or spookiness but like a wind-up toy that's been overwound. A friend of mine has one like this. She mounts up and the mare wiggles, jiggles, hops and stamps until they get under motion. My friend loves the feeling of this energy, which is what they call brio. The mare is completely trustworthy, just a bundle of energy. I've had opportunities to ride her and have opted out, preferring to ride her other Paso Fino, who's got plenty of energy, but a calmer demeanor. (more like our MPH)

Another Paso in our area is a young mare that's a kid-safe 4H horse, calm enough to give beginner lessons.

I do think many of them learn distrust easily, unlike our MPH who tend to be very forgiving. Another friend of ours bought a young mare that was terrified of a man wearing a hat. If a guy walks into the barn with a hat on, this mare literally bounced off the walls in terror. She was like this for years - don't know if she ever got over it. She tends to be highly reactive and not very safe to ride. They recently bought another Paso gelding that they have done lots of ground work with, but still haven't gotten him calmed down enough to ride.

Keep us posted!

Barb CO

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:36:32 pm »

April is already making nice progress with Rose and it's fun to hear about. I don't think nervous or jittery or anything like that is part of this mare's basic personality. But I would anticipate that she will be a sensitive, responsive but sensible horse making her great fun to ride. She is a great fan of being touched and rubbed. When I was doing a little body work on her in the BH and then rubbing liniment on her back, she was carefully positioning herself to that I would work on the spots she wanted. Pretty smart girl to figure out that people are useful and trainable.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:24 am »

I think so too, Barb. She sounds like a fun project.

Kalli

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 02:55:25 pm »

April is already making nice progress with Rose and it's fun to hear about. I don't think nervous or jittery or anything like that is part of this mare's basic personality. But I would anticipate that she will be a sensitive, responsive but sensible horse making her great fun to ride. She is a great fan of being touched and rubbed. When I was doing a little body work on her in the BH and then rubbing liniment on her back, she was carefully positioning herself to that I would work on the spots she wanted. Pretty smart girl to figure out that people are useful and trainable.

hahah!  Loved reading this!  Go, Rose!  :) 

Pamela N.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 03:11:51 pm »

What a great story!  The mare is beautiful.  Please keep us posted.
Pamela N.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up