Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with Anhidrosis?  (Read 492 times)

OldnOrnery

Re: Any experience with Anhidrosis?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:52 am »

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes...I thought the point of electrolytes was to replace what they lose through sweat. If they don't sweat, or don't sweat much, wouldn't they need less electrolytes? Or does it work just because it makes them drink more?
Anhidrosis can be life-threatening, and you really want to get a handle on it. Just sweating a little doesn't mean the horse is sweating normally. In fact, my anhidrotic mare only sweats between the hind legs, and that isn't enough.

Two things should be addressed ASAP. First, your horse has a daily need for sodium and chloride that should be met  24/7, not just when you ride. And you don't need electrolytes to do that, just plain white salt fed with a supplement like hay pellets. The amount you need is roughly 2-3 tablespoons, 56-60 grams by weight. That data point makes people crazy, talking about force feeding salt. But it has nothing to do with force feeding. It's the amount excreted in daily sweat and urine for a 1000 lb horse just standing around.  When it's super hot and they sweat just standing around or walking across the paddock, it's wise to feed even more, say another tablespoon on wet hay at the afternoon feeding. Some horses love salt and will eat supplements with salt with relish and also destroy a plain white salt block regularly. Others just don't love salt as much and really need to get the salt down in their supplement and one hay.

Remember that like you, your horse can sweat without the sweat always being visible because it is evaporating. Also remember that electrolytes are absolutely essential to life in that they control the most central operations in our body by keeping our bodily fluids within a narrow range that our bodies require. So don't assume just because your horse isn't sweating normally, it doesn't need electrolytes. We all do, and we use them all the time, 24/7/365. The way it works is that we adjust our thirst and our excretion to keep them in balance. Balance is the key. For that to occur, the building blocks must be present.

The second supplement is OneAC. This is designed specifically for anhidrosis, and it works, over time. Please read about it  http://www.nonsweater.com This stuff does work, but it takes time and it may take more than the suggested dose. My 25 yo non-sweater has gradually improved over about 3 years. She used to get so hot she'd go super-aggressive, veins bulging everywhere, before I knew what was going on. I feed it twice a day, every day, and have for several years. She copes with the heat much better. She's not sound, so I don't ride her, but I doubt she's improved enough to ride safely.

The reason you don't need electrolytes is that, in general, they supply sodium, chloride plus potassium. Sodium and chloride are supplied by salt. But unless you're riding endurance, your horse's forage and hay supplies many, many times the amount of potassium needed (like 4-5 times?). There is a time and place for electrolytes with potassium, but most of us don't need them, just salt and lots of water.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 10:06:46 am »

Another thing I should add is that horses need to have their basic mineral requirements met, including trace minerals. Sweating is a complex physiological process, and it's probably affected by a whole host of nutrients, from zinc to calcium. Bodily reserves last a while, but life-long deficiencies are not joke. It's takes a while to build up sufficient reserves.

kckc

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »

this is very interesting subject.... thinking back on my own colt I wonder if suddenly getting the horse tech minerals as well as additional salt has helped level him out - he drinks well but not excessively which it seemed like before and he does seem to sweat more - he doesn't use enough energy to lather  :-)
NC

meely3

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 05:16:46 am »

I'm starting to think it might not even be an issue. I might have been comparing apples to oranges. We are having the hottest most disgusting weather ever, and my horse is showing signs of distress. I was cold hosing him and sponging him off all day yesterday. Chief is just fine. And sweating, just not dripping buckets like my guy. But he is used to living outside and my boy is used to coming in at 11 and staying in the cool barn. I'm going to have to try to get them fans today.

donato

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:49 am »

I used One AC for my anhydrotic horse.  Worked great.  I was out there every afternoon with fans and towels soaked in ice water, changing them out every few minutes to draw the heat from his body.

I want to say it took a couple of weeks before I saw evidence of him sweating again.  I firmly believe that Tri-Hist caused this condition in him.  He was fine prior to that point in time.   It's been a few years - I also want to say I didn't go thru a full jar of it?  Maybe I did and went thru a jar and a partial?  never had another problem with him sweating after that summer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up