Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with Anhidrosis?  (Read 493 times)

meely3

Any experience with Anhidrosis?
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:58:50 am »

Our new boy, Chief is working out great. But.....I don't think he sweats. I mean, maybe, just a tiny little bit behind his ears under the bridle. I thought there might be an issue so I tested it out on a day hot enough that my horse was sweating just standing there, and after a fairly decent rice Chief was still dry under his saddle pad.
 So Google tells me that it's rare in a young horse, and it's even rarer up north, but it also seems to think that it is fairly easily managed. For the kind of work I expect out of my horses I tend to think it's not a real big deal but I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with it and thinks it is a big deal. Also, Are there maybe just different levels of sweating on horses? I have seen some that sweat more than others, but never one soaked standing and another dry after a pretty long ride. But then again, my husband was dripping just standing there and I was dry after that pretty long ride, so I'm not too sure.

oncidium

Re: Any experience with Anhidrosis?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 05:57:24 am »

Seriously.  Very.  I have read that a horse who drinks/consumes a Guinness Stout each day helps.  Dark dark dark beer for some reason gets them to sweat.  I know the qty is 1 beer or more.  Maybe one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.

Also you can try to use the supplements from SmartPack to get them to sweat.

Dangerous if a horse doesn't sweat.  Stores lots of heat.  I have seen horses who do not sweat and it is very odd to see.  Horse HAS to be hosed alot and in fans.  Lots of caution when exercising the horse.

O

edited to add:

http://www.horsenation.com/2014/05/30/beer-for-my-non-sweating-horse-you-bet/¬http://www.midsouthhorsereview.com/news.php?id=4266

Check out what smart pack or valley vet has to offer for supplements.

Non sweating is life threatening issue for horses.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:48:29 am by Oncidium »

GloriousJourney

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:25:26 am »

In the tropics where I live, it is positively deadly. Very hard to deal with. Horse needs to be moved to a cooler climate, or kept in under fans.
Lesley in Jupiter

kckc

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:28:24 am »

my newest boy did not seem to sweat much even after a day long ride (at a walk) he had just saddle marks.   I was worried.  Now that he has bulked up a little, has decent nutrition and loose salt he is sweating more.   Not like one other who looks like he is covered in salt because he sweats so easily but at least the new boy is showing me some sweat.   I don't have any personal experience with one that doesn't sweat (until this scare) but I'm wondering if you need to add something to his diet?   salt or some other nutrient.   
NC

meely3

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:40:34 am »

Well, as for moving him to a cooler climate, NE PA is a cooler climate.  :) So that is a plus. Kckc, that is a very possible. He still looks like a baby, and was on a hay only diet. I did get him a salt block, and he gets a handful of grain once a day now just so they get their basic vitamins (I use it to mix with a supplement) Maybe once he gets some regular work and finishes growing he will be more normal. That's what I'm hoping.
 Oncidium, I did read about the Guinness, and I figured that would be the first thing to try, but I guess first I will try seeing if he just grows out of it a little. I don't ride hard and I can count on one hand the number of times I have worked any other horse to a sweat except under the pad.
 I did call his previous owner and left a message. If he gets back to me and says he is a light sweater but after hard work he does I won't worry as much as I will if he says no he sweats just fine.

meely3

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:55:46 am »

Oh wait, I think I have a picture .

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:20 am »

Ooooo, strawberry roan, very pretty!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:13:14 am »

There is so much variability in how much my horses sweat. It actually takes quite a bit of heat, humidity and exertion for most of mine to be more than damp under the saddle. We've had a lot of heat and humidity the last couple weeks.  A couple of my mares have sweated a lot, others, none that was noticeable. I would think you would need to observe lack of sweat plus evidence of overheating before you need to worry.

meely3

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:45:08 am »

Definitely no evidence of overheating. He blows in time with his gait, but although I tried pretty hard I couldn't get him to the point where he was blowing once he stopped.

PAWalker

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:40 am »

Watch his water consumption------and that is why I have zero use for automatic waters.

This from a 2009 AAEP article.  http://www.aaep.org/info/horse-health?publication=867

. The actual daily amount of water that most horses need to consume (at a minimum) to maintain body functions and remain properly hydrated is from a half gallon to a gallon per hundred pounds of body weight. This works out to be a minimum of five to ten gallons for a 1,000-pound horse that is not presently doing any work and is living in a temperate climate. If you increase the horse’s workload or the environmental temperatures are elevated, then this will increase the demand for water. Lactating mares, horses with diarrhea, and horses with certain medical conditions will also require more water each day.

One of my horses had an anhidrosis attack, a few years back, in the heat of summer.  He has never been a big sweater.  He wasn't sweating that day but he was standing in the pasture, head down, mouth wide open, flanks heaving in/out.

I brought him up to the barn, hosed him down, put him in his stall with salt, water and a fan. 

Before sunset, I had a tub of electrolytes.  As soon as the temps in my area hit 85F  and above, and stay there, I start adding electrolytes to his feedpan so he will drink more water.

I can't remember for sure but that attack was 7-8 years ago and he's been fine ever since because I add the electrolytes

There's a bazillion brands out there, I use Farnum's "Apple Elite".  Rusty is 16.1H and one of their enclosed scoops daily is all he needs - maybe a teaspoon?  Any more than that gives him the runny bums but each horse is different.

Take the no-sweating seriously, as others have said.  Electrolytes are a cheap and effective safety measure, and then make sure the horse has plenty of fresh clean water to quench it's thirst:)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:14:05 am by PAWalker »

meely3

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 11:25:12 am »

That is going to be tough. I know he is drinking. I have seen him do it on occasion. But mostly he likes to just swish his mouth out in the tub and drool everywhere. And usually once or twice a day he decides I look bored and dumps the water tub. I'm not sure how he does it since I keep it close to full, but he is a horse of many talents.
 So he is out with another horse during the day and I can't tell who is drinking what, and I can't tell at night how much he is spilling and how much he is drinking. I am doing the pinch test to check for dehydration, and using my little monster as a comparison.
 That is a little scary though. I will have to stock up on electrolytes. I did talk to his previous owner and he said he never noticed an issue at all with him. But when he rode him he worked a lot harder than I work him.  Luckily we have some shade in all the fields all day. It moves around but they can always get out of the sun.

PAWalker

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »

I've had Rusty since he was 2-1/2.  He never has been a big sweater.

I'm guessing 7-8 years ago was the attack, making him 14-15 at the time.

He's never had another attack but I haven't given him the chance, either, lol

Maybe these low-to-no sweating horses are more prone to anhidrosis and the prudent thing is to just put them on electrolytes during the hot/humid months.

Even if you can't monitor his drinking, the electrolytes will make him drink more water.  If he gets the runny bums cut them back.

I'm not one to throw supplements at a horse "just in case".  Where a non-sweater is concerned, I break that rule. Especially after the day I saw Rusty with his mouth open, flanks heaving trying to breath.  While I can't "un-see" that awful moment, I don't ever want to see it in real life again.

kckc

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »

could you mix loose salt into this food and make it sloppy wet too?  Maybe buy some quench to add to his water?  Or give him special water with Gatorade or some flavor in it to drink more?   My colt used to drink water like a crazy horse - I was worried.  If you walked by a water tub he had to drink.  If you tried to get him to leave it he wanted just one more drink.  He drank out of every creek, he drank water at the trailer...  But it seems now he is eating more (all freaking day & night) and getting soaked timothy pellets the water obsession has eased. 
 I love my auto waterer but it is an issue wondering who is drinking enough.... so I add loose salt to their food hoping to make them drink.    I don't feed electrolytes, did for awhile when was riding more, but maybe I should also... hmmmm
NC

meely3

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 04:02:06 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes...I thought the point of electrolytes was to replace what they lose through sweat. If they don't sweat, or don't sweat much, wouldn't they need less electrolytes? Or does it work just because it makes them drink more?
 And thanks KysaSD....but I swear in person he is about the ugliest horse I have ever seen. He just looks great in pictures. Like certain celebrities that I won't call out by name.

PAWalker

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 04:29:03 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes...I thought the point of electrolytes was to replace what they lose through sweat. If they don't sweat, or don't sweat much, wouldn't they need less electrolytes? Or does it work just because it makes them drink more?

It's a good question - I've wondered the same thing.  They work on Rusty because they make him drink more and also sweat just a bit more and that means near zero where he's concerned.  If he comes in "tacky" at night with the band on his face mask damp from sweat,  I'm happy.  With the electrolytes in his feed pan, he goes right to his water tub to drink, after he eats.

I also add water to their Timothy pellets and supplements so they don't blow stuff out of the feedpan but to also get a little more moisture in them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up