Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best mane detangler?  (Read 1882 times)

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Best mane detangler?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:22 am »

I'd totally forgotten about this until Dawn posted on FB about the benefits of Coconut Oil.  When I used it on G's mane and tail regularly as a conditioner, it really did keep the wind knots and burrs out.  I think if I can find it in a large quantity I may use it again.  Love the smell of it too.

What a great idea! I use coconut oil a lot in cooking and just in general in my diet. But, I hadn't thought of this use. Thanks!

BTW, here is the source I use. Compare this to what you have found and see if it is economical:  Wilderness Family
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:56 am »

I buy LouAna coconut oil at our local WalMart.  Reasonably inexpensive.  It's food grade, and I use it for cooking and as hair/skin conditioner for me and "the boys". 
I know that not everyone shops at WM, but for us, it's one of only two local choices for groceries and for household goods, etc.  Otherwise we have to drive a 160 mile round trip to nearest big city that offers more shopping choices.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »

I bought a gallon from somewhere online and use it for everything.  It's not a long lasting moisturizer (at least not for me) - I originally bought it when I was told it could help build my gelding topline...but he won't eat it at all.  if even the smallest bit is on his grain he will turn up his nose.   
NC

dawn_a

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:18 am »

Yep, it's good stuff!  I LOVE using it for my hair when it starts to get a little dry.  I just put a little, tiny bit in and leave it in till I wash the next day.  It makes it a little greasy feeling for a day or two, but after that it's SO soft and shiny for a long time afterwards!

I do use coconut oil as a moisturizer sometimes.  But I've found that plain ol' grapeseed oil lasts longer and makes my face especially really soft.  I've been using it for about a year now and it's wonderful stuff!  I do still use coconut oil on occasion, but not as often because of how dry it is most of the year around here (most notably in the winter).  I love using these oils as beauty products because then you don't have to worry about toxicity from nasty chemicals.  This is so important to me especially now that I'm pregnant!  Side note - I do plan to use coconut oil as diaper rash cream and grapeseed oil as moisturizer for the baby as well.  I just like keeping everything simple & non-toxic....

Dawn

kckc

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 04:10:59 pm »

dawn,
I've started using a vitamin e oil as a moisturizer and I like emu oil too.   the grapeseed, for me, and the almond seem to just be on my skin for a minute and not really do anything.   I've started mixing some and like the results.  I use some of it in my horse fly sprays too just for the cling factor.   
NC

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 06:31:03 pm »

Wow, I haven't ever heard of using coconut oil on horses. I will give it a try, bet it cheaper than tail and maine conditioner. And I can use it too. Great

Iceangel

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:19 am »

I use coconut oil on my face and hair. It might get expensive to use on your horse, at least the product I buy the organic.

countryclips

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »

I am really hooked on Coconut oil.  It is great for your dogs too .  I have 2 terriers with dry skin during this cold winter and I rub them down with it.  Also have an old dog with itchy skin and it has worked great on him to relieve the itching.  The great thing is Wilderness Family is only 30 minutes from me so I just purchased a gallon and have been making small jars for the barn my bathroom and one for the dogs. 
What a wonderful life I've had!  I only wish I had realized it sooner!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up