Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elkins creek- Jeanne ?  (Read 596 times)

Walkin45

Elkins creek- Jeanne ?
« on: May 19, 2016, 05:39:09 pm »

Did you say it was a good place! Or did anyone ?

ahmenti

Re: Elkins creek- Jeanne ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:51:04 am »

I have been there once.  We liked it pretty well-we went on a holiday and probably won't do that again.  It was very crowded and they just put you everywhere.  We had a pedestal beside the barn.  Wonderful people that run it and loved the trails.  They have hookups everywhere. In the back it's just a big area in a circle with hookups here and there.  That's the only thing I didn't like-it wasn't like designated spots.  Nice bathhouse, riding ring, and they had added a lot of different stalls with covers they just weren't in an actual barn.  I would go again just haven't made it there yet.

We went Labor Day weekend and like I said very crowded.  Also it was horsefly season and they were terrible!!!  We couldn't hardly ride the trails for all of the flies.

Kim

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »

Yes, Elkins creek is one of our favorite places to camp.  It does get filled up on holiday weekends and when there are events.  The sites I feel give you plenty of room, much like other big camping areas do.  They all tend to put the trailers with enough room for your awning to be out and room for you to tie your horses on the back side of the camper.  I think where we park down next to the rental cabin and the creek behind us is the perfect spot.  We can put our horses in the row of stalls along that end of the drive way and be able to see them out our camper window. Those stalls are covered and just one long row.  It is more of a pole barn style there.   The barns over by the house are more like a regular barn style.  But I prefered these stalls becuase of the air circulation is wonerful for the horses rather than being closed into a barn with side by side stalls, where the heat is held in more also.  I have only camped up at the other end once when it was very crowded.  It was OK, but I prefer out back down by the creek and up next to the cabin.  Rick always trys to save that spot for us.  Yes, they are wonderful people who try to do everything to make people feel comfortable. 

We will be back there in Oct. with plans to stop on our way to Mammoth Cave, KY and then on our way home from Big South Fork.   If anyone wanted to join us at that time frame, just drop me a message and I will pass on my dates to you.  But be ready to ride the better part of a day unless you are willing to go back to camp on your own.

Also, going in May and June is a bad fly season, but I have found other areas in KY and OH that are all bad with flies at that time.  We always try to be there early May before the flies get bad and later in the fall. 

Jeanne
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:42:32 pm by JMR - Scout and Cisco »

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:17:44 am »

I go to Elkins a lot. It's like a second home for me lol. Yes it does get packed on holidays or for big events, and there are no defined sites per se. There are hookups laid out in a site pattern, but when it gets busy Rick will just stick people in wherever there's a space that will fit. I would much prefer designated spots as well, but it's not my camp. Rick and Jill are hosts that are second to none, wonderful people. The trails are great, and Rick and Jill and the volunteers put in a ton of time keeping them clear and maintained. I'll be there several times more this year.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

ahmenti

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:44:00 am »

I had mine in the barn and it was not my favorite barn.  It was our first time there and we didn't know but it did not have a lot of air.  We walked up the section that Jeanne was talking about and if we go again, I would try to get that area also.  Seems like it had more room.  I would like to go again but so far can't talk the group I ride with into going there.  It is right at 3 hours from me, which is our travelling distance (other riders, not me) and I can't just talk them into going.  I think they think it is farther than that.

Kim

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 04:46:32 am »

Kim, you need to come when we are going to be there again.  We will be there Oct. 1 for several days and again Oct. probably 18, 19, 20, 21.   Let me know if you would like to ride with us.  We know the trails pretty darn well by now.  But be prepared to ride all day.  We do not ride what I would call fast, but we ride gaited horses, so we move along at a nice fast walk. 

Jeanne

ahmenti

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:12:44 am »

Jeanne:

I will put that down and may take you up on that.  Hubby doesn't ride-he stays at camp and does all the cooking for me!  That way I would have someone to ride with-that would be wonderful.  As we get closer, I will def let you know if I can go.

Kim

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 04:29:10 am »

Hope you can make it.   You would love riding there and fun for us to all get together.

Jeanne

ahmenti

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:44 am »

Jeanne, 

How far in advance do you make your reservations?  I probably can't do the Oct 1, but the later one I can I believe. 

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 04:33:26 am »

Kim, Horse Trails and Camping Across America (Facebook group) is having a group ride at Elkins that later weekend (Oct 20-23), so I'd suggest getting reservations sooner rather than later. I plan on being there as well.
Karen

ahmenti

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 06:30:21 am »

Thanks, I probably should do that.  Have you camped there during that month before?  Were the horse flies gone by then?  Weather pretty good?

Kim

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 06:31:41 am »

Yes, I made our reservations for that week before the big Oct ride at Elkins Creek.  One of my good local friends is meeting us there on Monday and she is leaving on Friday.  We will leave that Saturday early.  If you plan to come that time frame, I would say coming during the week before the big ride starts would be a good time to come.  But I don't want to be there any later than Sat. morning.  I know some are coming in starting on Thursday and Friday, but I do have my reservations in for that week Monday - Saturday.  I also have reservations for Oct. 1 till Oct. 4.  That weekend should not be too busy and good for camping.  We will be there with our traveling friends on a camping trip together. 

Jeanne

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 08:37:51 am »

Yes, the weather is generally pretty good later in October, but you know, it's the weather lol. I'll probably be there that Thursday evening.

Jeanne, who's coming to meet you there?
Karen

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 04:43:33 am »

Linda and Charlie as well as Ellen and Bob will be at Elkins the first stop in the beginning of Oct.   And it will be us and my friend Beth from PA on the stop back from vacation.

Jeanne

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:11 am »

We will be going back to Elkins Creek again this year.  The first of May for sure and then a few other dates where we are on vacation.  Not sure of all those times yet, but our local club is putting our group plans together, which most of them I will want to go locally and ride too.  Elkins Creek is a vacation trip.  We will go in the spring probably the first part of May, 2018 and then again in the fall at the beginning of Oct.  I can update this as we go along.  Now that I am back on with time to chat again with everyone here and maybe get to meet more of you also.

Anyone wants to send me a personal e-mail to discuss getting together or want to have some of our local area some rides that I can give to ride with our 2 local riding clubs we ride with.  Our local one is in the PA/NY border in the area of Elmira, NY and a second group closer to Binghamton, N.Y.  Both are fun groups to ride with and just want to enjoy meeting and riding with new friends.

My e-mail is jroot@npacc.net
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up