Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kysa, more info on Your Turmeric Please  (Read 587 times)

fargos handmaiden

Kysa, more info on Your Turmeric Please
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »

How do you mix the pastw and what do you use it on or in fo make it more palatable or do you just brave it and swallow it as is.

How is the experimwnt going on your arthritic horse? If you have seen a change for better, how much do you give him andhow do you get him to take it?

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Kysa, more info on Your Turmeric Please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:53 pm »

Turmeric paste for People....you can give the same stuff to animals, but I make it more tasty for me

1/2 cup turmeric
1 cup water.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until you have a thick paste.  7-10 minutes
remove from heat and add:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp FRESH ground pepper from your pepper grinder, not already ground from the store
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon.
I put  this in 2 jelly jars.  I refrigerate one and freeze one.

Favorite way to take it is 1 cup hot milk
1 tsp Turmeric paste
2 tsp maple syrup--honey or sugar works too.
Mix and drink like it was hot cocoa.  Really pretty good, but yes, some days I just swallow it down.  It is not bad.

My experiment with horses.
right now I have 3 horses getting 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon ground flax (for the oil) and a couple grinds of fresh pepper.  I mix this with their wet alfalfa pellets and they lick it down.
I think it is too soon to tell.  Belle is doing great, but she also had her knee injected with cortisone and hyaluronic acid.  I am hoping the turmeric keeps that pain free and flexible farther into the future.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:01:29 pm »

Kysa--could you pin this, please.  I'm really thinking about trying turmeric for my back/knee/hand pain. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:22:45 am »

Little update on this.  I have a horse on turmeric and I was running low over Christmas.  I used it on the horse, and not me for a week.  On my.  The arthritis pain in my thumbs returned with a vengeance!!!  I am now back on the turmeric, every single day, and the pain is slowly subsiding.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:54 am »

Kysa, have you considered Curcumin? That is the active ingredient in turmeric. I get Curcumin + MCT capsules from my naturopath doc. It is a highly concentrated form of turmeric.

I wonder if this would work as well as the paste you are making? I don't know if you could find this either. You'd need to search around. My doctor is also an acupuncturist. So, you'd need to find someone in a holistic-based field. Just a thought.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:02:21 am »

Yes, and I have some for traveling.

However, as a biochemist, I can tell you that while we identify the MAIN active ingredient, I am still preferring to use the entire substance....this goes for nearly everything.  I suspect there are minor substances that act both synergistically or agonistically with he main component.  I spent 30 years trying to undstand just this in animals.  Sometimes just changing the carrier of a medication will vastly change its effects.  Although I also note that in your pills, as well as mine, it is turmeric, and not just refined curcuminoids.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:03:15 am »

Thanks, Kysa. I may give the paste a try. I have found the capsules to be very good at treating inflammation of many types.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Iceangel

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:34:47 am »

I must have missed something but why the paste and not the pills/vitamin?

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:48:42 am »

Cooked turmeric seems to work a little better than just the powder.  But I do use the powder pills when I travel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up