Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gotta fix for horse who digs in trough?  (Read 789 times)

kckc

Re: Gotta fix for horse who digs in trough?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 09:49:40 am »

my water playing horse will play in the easier one and not the harder one... I think if you get her a big playing tub she might leave the other alone?   I am grateful my boy has stopped trying to get into the tubs now and just plays all the water out with his nose/head  :-)
NC

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 05:59:02 pm »

How about setting up an oscillating lawn sprinkler attached to a hose? Your horse can play in the spray and cool down also. Cheap & easy.
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 10:35:40 pm »

How about setting up an oscillating lawn sprinkler attached to a hose? Your horse can play in the spray and cool down also. Cheap & easy.
Marilyn, I wish I could but I live in California. Leaving a hose running isn't something I can do. Our well is already working hard, and our drought isn't really over. Even if it were, I couldn't leave a hose on for any length of time.

However, a lower, secondary 30 gallon trough seems to have taken her mind off the 70 gal. trough. Trouble is she's drinking the dirty water she paws in. She seems satisfied for now, and it's gotten hot.

kckc

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 10:11:11 am »

For my boy I don't think it's as much as being cool as it is splashing  :-)
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »

For my boy I don't think it's as much as being cool as it is splashing  :-)
That's okay, and you're lucky. My mare can't sweat, so it's definitely about cooling off. I already body clipped her once this spring, and I really need to clip her again. It ain't fun.

kckc

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

oh no  - poor baby... my new colt doesn't sweat as much as the others but then he's lazy and doesn't expend much either  :-)
NC

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:17:35 am »

Don't know if this will work since she dumped tub when you raised it.

Our big problem was goats pooping in 33 gal troughs since troughs were lower than their rear ends. Could not keep troughs clean for even a couple hours. Hubby built a very heavy sturdy wood farm that completely covers bottom and raised it up where goats can o.ly get their heads and neck over. What a difference and relief. Yes be careful trying to balance troughs on top of concrete blocks. Our main breeding buck broke his leg severely pulling that down on top of himself. A horse could probably do the same as that is a lot of weight. Your structure would have to be really sturdy and foolproof.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up