Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gotta fix for horse who digs in trough?  (Read 791 times)

OldnOrnery

Gotta fix for horse who digs in trough?
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:52:13 am »

Suggestions for how to deal with a 24 yo horse who digs in her 70 gal. water trough? Right now the trough is in her pipe corral. She digs in it frequently, fouling the water, requiring frequent water changes, not to mention the risk of getting hung up in the trough or pipe behind it and doing major damage to herself. She's already broken the float.

The only cost-effective idea I have is getting a lower, smaller 50 gal. trough and backing it with plywood strapped to the pipe, so she can't get hung up. At least she won't foul as much water, and she can easily get her hoof out. The water won't stay as cool in the summer, but that's minor. I disconnected the automatic waterers in the stalls. I find the water in them foul because the piping heats up in the summer, supplying hot water. In the winter, the piping freezes.

My 24 yo mare has PPID, which means she already has a higher baseline temperature (weird, right?) than a normal horse, plus she is anhidrotic. So she gets hot faster and stays hot longer. She asks to be hosed off 2-3X/day as temperatures head to 80 and above. Yes, she has shade in both the shelter and the barn, but she still gets hot. So she digs.

Other ideas?

kckc

Re: Gotta fix for horse who digs in trough?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »

why not get her a pool to play in and maybe she won't mess with her trough.   I bought my boys an 8' round cattle trough for the summer to play in.   I found my used so maybe you can?   Other option I can think of is to put the trough on the other side of a fence or gate where she can reach through and get her water... or change to an automatic waterer that won't freeze (like the dpwaterer)...work to install but super nice. 
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »

How deep is the cattle round? 8 x 2'? Is she gonna climb in and bust it up first day? That's 250 smackers.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:16:30 pm by OldnOrnery »

zipeddodah

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:54 pm »

When my percheron was suffering from the heat here in Texas I rigged up a sprinkler in a tree so that the water would spray down on him as he stood under the tree. I could turn it on in the afternoon when it started getting hot and he'd stand under that tree till the sun went down. Of course it helps to have well water so you're not spending a fortune on city water. And the water faucet was close to the tree so I could hook it up so that he couldn't get tangled up in the hose. Added benefits  were the tree enjoyed the water as did the horse's hooves.
Tachie in east Texas
 Sam Houston forest is my back yard!

kckc

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:54:14 pm »

the cattle trough seems pretty tough - I plan to put sand in the bottom to stop slipping ..yes, I think it is 2' tall  - my boys love love love to splash and play so I'm hoping they'll enjoy.  My Eli gelding will use his head/nose and splash out almost all of a 75 gallon trough just playing.   He's so funny with his water fetish.   take him to the lake and he doesn't want to get out.   and if he's splashing he makes sure everyone gets wet, he'll actually move over to everyone to get them wet.   so much fun watching him play.
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »

When my percheron was suffering from the heat here in Texas I rigged up a sprinkler in a tree so that the water would spray down on him as he stood under the tree.

My problem is that I'm not always around to notice that she wants to be hosed. It was only 78 today, humidity moderate at 63%. I have misting hose along the top of the stall walls for days that hit the high 80's by lunchtime. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ocean-breeze-evaporative-mist-cooling-kit  But that wouldn't have made the slightest difference in springtime. She wants to be outside scrounging, so she's trying to train me.

I need a garden hose shower with some kind of actuator that she can learn to use herself. Probably a bad idea. Or, that failing, put it on a timer. She knows what time is what. http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-52508-Portable-Poolside-Shower/dp/B0001HKC6E
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:12:41 pm by OldnOrnery »

kckc

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

my boy wants to play.   if he had a hose he would play with it but in reality he wants to splash with his hooves and nose... sounds like your girl is the same way
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:15 pm »

my boy wants to play... in reality he wants to splash with his hooves and nose... sounds like your girl is the same way
Maybe. I see her with her head in the trough up to her eyeballs, making tsunamis. I was told she loves the water, but chalked that up to a seller who didn't want to tell me she doesn't sweat and needs to be cooled off regularly. It's probably in between.

oncidium

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »

Water bucket on the side of the fence, or stall.  That is my suggestion. 

O

OldnOrnery

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

Water bucket on the side of the fence, or stall.  That is my suggestion. 

Thanks!

Walkin45

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:18:33 am »

Rae the trough, so she can't get in.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 11:31:03 am »

Raise the trough, so she can't get in.
Yeah, I've thought about that. It solves the problem of keeping the water clean without buying a new trough. I need to raise it so much that she wouldn't even think about trying to step in, so that might be almost a foot. Probably need to build a frame and fill it with gravel. I see horses watered using garbage cans and food-safe 56 gal drums, so that seems about the right height.  Since this girl has no problem standing on her hind legs and does it for laughs, it spooks me a bit.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:01:03 am »

I need to raise it so much that she wouldn't even think about trying to step in, so that might be almost a foot. Probably need to build a frame and fill it with gravel.

You wouldn't need to build a frame around it and fill it with rocks.  Just make a "platform" using some heavy lumber. (2" x 10" or 12" would be perfect) Lay upright on their 2" sides and then lay the same on the top of it, but with them laying flat. It makes a very heavy duty platform for the trough. 
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

OldnOrnery

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:35:11 am »

You wouldn't need to build a frame around it and fill it with rocks.  Just make a "platform" using some heavy lumber. (2" x 10" or 12" would be perfect) Lay upright on their 2" sides and then lay the same on the top of it, but with them laying flat. It makes a very heavy duty platform for the trough.

Thanks, Mona. Off to the hardware store later today.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 09:46:19 am »

I raised the water trough a good six inches. Didn't work. She not only dug in that but actually knocked over the whole thing (70 gallons of water weight almost 500 lbs). Back to the drawing board.

Someone I know said a BO covered the troughs with plywood with a hole cut out for the horse to drink. All I could think of is this mare with her leg stuck in the trough for hours.

For now, I'm going with a shorter trough - less wasted water, more digging. I could try a secondary pool for play, but I think she'd only foul both.

Also going to body clip her for the second time this spring.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up