Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally rode under the infamous tunnel!  (Read 387 times)

melissah

Finally rode under the infamous tunnel!
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »

Another great ride on Jex! It just keeps getting better and better!

David and I were invited to ride with a friend who lives across the street (literally) from Vasquez Rocks. He has a Rocky Mountain gelding (the one we picked up for him when we took Mercy to Hopes) He was there for a tune up. Great horse!

I've been to Vasquez to ride many many times and had always heard stories about the tunnel that runs directly under the 14 freeway (8 lanes) but never rode out that way. In dry weather it's great but during any rain it can be slippery for the horses unless you stay right in the middle as it's pitted and the sides are smooth cement. I know a few riders/horses who have went down in that tunnel so I was never in a hurry to go myself. So we decided to just ride and went through the tunnel. No hesitation going in but coming out was a whole other story. Friend went down first. You had to squeeze over to the left and get onto a narrow path of dirt...or jump straight down from the cement, or down the rocks that formed natural stairs. Figured I would follow the Rocky but when it came to it Jex was a bit leery about that side or jumping straight down. Mercy would have Super manned right over it. She was a jumper. So I decided to get off and walk him down. Better safe....it was our 2nd trail ride and I had not pushed him and was unsure especially new to being barefoot. Then David and Storm went. Of course Storm picked the easiest access. They always say let the horse choose, they know best.

I'll tell you...so far he is a dream. Not a mean bone in his body! He's the one!

Then after we trailered the horses back up to our friends home where he made us homemade kimchi fried rice with curry. Very nice day!

Here's the video. I swear....every time I go there's a trail that's new. At the beginning we were on a ledge...pretty but high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyJYPF7PiiE

and some pictures.

This step down don't look like much in the picture but it is! lol

Had to get Jex's ears

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

kckc

Re: Finally rode under the infamous tunnel!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »

beautiful !  so glad you are enjoying your new boy.   Is david missing his bicycle at all?  :-)
NC

melissah

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »

beautiful !  so glad you are enjoying your new boy.   Is david missing his bicycle at all?  :-)

He is awesome! Nope....not one bit but still keeps talking about Quads! Never!
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

Suzanna

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

Looks great Melissa. So glad he is working out for you. That is beautiful country, (nothing like that here in Fl. flat, flat, flat.) I don't know if I could have done the tunnel, too claustrophobic.  :-\

riding the sun

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »

Looks like a fun ride.  Very pretty landscape.

Judy
My favorite trail is the next one

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:40 pm »

There is a place in the Black Hills where the Centennial Trail goes underneath I-90.  Bigger tunnel than that one, but definitely a tunnel with Interstate traffic doing 70 mph over top.  I was very proud that al the horses that tried it did very well.  It definitely echoed their hoofbeats.
Yeah, doing a tunnel shows what a horse is made of.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

cruisinlight

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:51:22 am »

Wow, gorgeous and challenging ride. Thanks for sharing with us!

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:11:41 am »

AWESOME "trails"!  What a wonderful place to ride! :D
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

ponymare

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:07:59 pm »

Loving seeing your landscape!  It's so different than Mississippi!  Very cool!
Pages: [1]   Go Up