Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I RODE! Bruised, bloodied & Battered, but I RODE!!!!  (Read 1027 times)

melissah

I RODE! Bruised, bloodied & Battered, but I RODE!!!!
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:36:52 pm »

Quick timeline.

Bought and brought Jex home January 23, 2016. I still had Mercy at home and only 3 stalls and 4 horses. I played a lot of horse rotation. I also felt very bad/guilty about doing anything with him while Mercy looked on.  :( :( But now that it was starting to stay light longer, I would race outside after 5 and had an hour to do groundwork and seeing what he knew. Very nice mannered horse.

On February 6, A place finally opened up at Hope's so I took Mercy that Saturday. Saturday afternoon when we got home we decided to just let the geldings out. No drama. After that I feed in their stalls AM & PM and they spend all afternoon out together. Jex is another Mercy....no interest in the other two but loves "chasing butterflies" kind of off on his own. A loner. But he can't or won't be pushed around by any of the two.

Last week I finally jumped on him. Only Wednesday and Thursday. I didn't bother changing my bit and rode in my Myler I had Mercy on. A HBT Shank with a copper roller. He did fine around the turn out.  I had very little time to do any riding before a planned ride on Sunday (Valentine's Day). Saturday we went to a convention but got home early enough to ride. This time from home. So I put the Wonder bit on, saddled up and away we went.  He was a mess. He was unresponsive, gaping, stargazing....EEK! To the point where the family thought I got the wrong horse for me. I assured them......no...this is the right horse. You know how you just "know." Plus woman's intuition and the complete honesty of the woman who I bought him from who text me the night before to tell me to have a great time on my first ride. I said let's go back home and put on the Robart bit that they ride with. I rode around the turn out and he did well in it. So I threw my hands in the air and said I'm taking the Robart Sunday since Hannah is not riding.

Sunday we loaded up and took off. New horse, new place he's never ridden at, 5 horses riding etc. My first time on a trail ride on him. Next Sunday is one of our big group rides and the trail boss always does a pre-ride before the actual ride to make sure trails are safe and how to get from point A to point B. Plus we explore any new trails. We went to Hansen Dam which is one of the best places to ride during the summer time due to the heat. Next Sunday we are riding from the start to the golf course for lunch, where they have a huge corral for horses to tie while people eat lunch with a security camera. So here was the big test on Jex my new TWH.

I tacked up....and had him in the Robart walking horse bit. He seems to like it. We had an AMAZING ride.

First big test (right at the beginning of the video) was the loose horse that came running up behind us. And you can hear David say if that had been Mercy she would have dumped me and been gone.

Then we had a blast trail blazing (another word for ending up at dead ends) LOL but a blast. We got onto some trails that clearly had not been maintained. This video shows some of that crazy stuff we ran into. And when I said bruised, bloodied and battered I was not kidding. I have scrapes, bruises all over. Even got a branch pierced through my levi's and into my leg. There was one part on the video we had to pass this awful broken off branch that stood out far enough to puncture a jugular if not paying attention. David is trying to get Storm past it but Storm see's the potential of, "Hey! This is horse killing material" But David is a good rider and can get him through it. We had a lot of "DUCK" moments. Then one poor women behind David who was riding one of the first few times since both knee's were replaced slammed one into a stump when her horse would not move over. I was up ahead a distance but I could hear David back there asking if she was alright and what's wrong wondering if he should call 911. He stayed back there with her long enough to help her. Her knee's she teased were bionic so only the tendons and ligaments were hurt and would be fine. OUCH! Lots of water crossings. Only at one point did all the horses decide to feed off each other (not on video) but we stopped while the boys had to take care of personal things and we all let our horses eat some grass. That was special as we don't have grass.  :D Then we started off but it was deep sand and they all had to work a little harder to ride through it. So the faster one went, they all wanted to. Fun! But it was a controlled "feed off" lol. The trail boss had to get off a couple of times to move things. By the time we were done he had decided there were lots of ways we were NOT going. But we had a blast.

The other thing I loved....when we headed back to the trailer, David and his friend were way way up front and riding into the parking lot from another direction. I was next to the woman with bionic knees and her TWH. He was a real lot of horse and would throw some tantrums and Jex just kind of stood there and watched. She told me she was turning around to go "lope" her Walker.  ??? Her other horse is an Arab that always wants to be up front. Everyone else was pretty far back. So I decided to just ride Jex by myself towards the parking area. He just mosey'd along by ourselves, no big deal. If it had been Mercy and I, we would have been on a training mission to keep her from wanting to get to Storm. No fun. So Jex and I just cruised along until we got 10 feet from the trailer and I jumped off. He was Awesome. He did great in the Robart. David even comments on the video how he loves his head set and not hollowed out. And being barefoot for the first time, no ouchiness.

So here is a short (okay 8 min clip) but so fun to watch the craziness of it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlRw_VIKuE

And Jex After

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: I RODE! Bruised, bloodied & Battered, but I RODE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »

FYI..on bits.  Because I do a lot of bit fitting.

A bit is a tool of communication between horse and rider.  Even the same bit may feel different to the horse in a different headstall, different weight of reins, not to mention different people.  This is why I do the Myler bit rental program, and tell people they must take the bit home, and ride with it in their conditions.  Just trying it in my round pen by the store is not good enough.

So...you tried something and it worked well for both of you.  Ride in it at least two more times, then go buy the same thing for you.  I presume Hannah will want it back for her horse!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

2gaits

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »

That's great! Sounds like he is a good one and you are off for some great trail rides. I've found most horses will tell me which bit they prefer.

Kellie in OR

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »

Sounds like  an awesome start!  :D

Karen A

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »

Horses are picky about  bits.  My horse goes best in the Imus bit.  I had one break on me so I bought a Robards bit .  It looked exactly the same but was cheaper.  My horse hated it.  His head was up against his chest and he wouldn't do anything  right.  I bought a new I mus bit and he was fine.  Once you find one that works well stick with it.

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:56 am »

Sounds like this one might work out really well for you.  The only bad thing is that as horses get over the new home symdrum, they can buddy up with the other horse and down the road may turn out to again be buddy sour.  This is what seems to happen to my horses.  They are really good if I trailer one away from home and ride with friends, but when they are with their barn buddies, they want to cling together.  We keep working on this issue with our horses, but unless we are riding in a group, you can't really split them apart and not have them be buddy sour.  So, if you can ride in a group and keep your 2 horses apart, you want to work on that splitting off to different positions in the group.  It is just natural for them to feel most confident with their barn buddies.

Good luck with the new one.  Sounds like so far it is a great match.

Jeanne

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:43:03 am »

That was great! I love how he just walks into the water with no hesitation, even the running water. Looks like you have a great horse there Melissa.

melissah

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 04:45:39 pm »

A bit is a tool of communication between horse and rider.  Even the same bit may feel different to the horse in a different headstall, different weight of reins, not to mention different people.  This is why I do the Myler bit rental program, and tell people they must take the bit home, and ride with it in their conditions.  Just trying it in my round pen by the store is not good enough.

So...you tried something and it worked well for both of you.  Ride in it at least two more times, then go buy the same thing for you.  I presume Hannah will want it back for her horse!

Yes, I was pretty impressed with it and seeing how well their horses did. Plus I am very soft. I still have my Myler so I can go back in forth if need be.

That's great! Sounds like he is a good one and you are off for some great trail rides. I've found most horses will tell me which bit they prefer.

He is just wonderful. He has spunk but not the kind Mercy had.

Sounds like  an awesome start!  :D

Yes indeed. And we plan to do a lot of riding. I am on cloud 9!

Horses are picky about  bits.  My horse goes best in the Imus bit.  I had one break on me so I bought a Robards bit .  It looked exactly the same but was cheaper.  My horse hated it.  His head was up against his chest and he wouldn't do anything  right.  I bought a new I mus bit and he was fine.  Once you find one that works well stick with it.

One thing I noticed with the Robart was he had nice collection and not hollowed out at all. He actually went better with it than the Myler for some reason. Next ride will tell or when it's just the 3 of us.

Sounds like this one might work out really well for you.  The only bad thing is that as horses get over the new home symdrum, they can buddy up with the other horse and down the road may turn out to again be buddy sour.  This is what seems to happen to my horses.  They are really good if I trailer one away from home and ride with friends, but when they are with their barn buddies, they want to cling together.  We keep working on this issue with our horses, but unless we are riding in a group, you can't really split them apart and not have them be buddy sour.  So, if you can ride in a group and keep your 2 horses apart, you want to work on that splitting off to different positions in the group.  It is just natural for them to feel most confident with their barn buddies.

Good luck with the new one.  Sounds like so far it is a great match.

Jeanne

Thanks. Oh yeah, we plan to ride away from each other and even in group rides be in different spots here and there. So far he's a winner. And so far when in the turn out he really doesn't buddy up with any horse. Mercy was always glued to Storms butt. The three geldings just kind of go off on their own right now.

That was great! I love how he just walks into the water with no hesitation, even the running water. Looks like you have a great horse there Melissa.

Yes, he is a winner I think. We're riding out from home Saturday and then trailering out for the group ride. I love the time changing too. I've been getting out there doing groundwork.

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

RackinRocky

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »

YAY! Gotta hand it to you for going on a group ride, even though it was a small group when you'd only been on him a few times. He looked good, and pretty relaxed. So did you. And yes, there were some pretty hairy obstacles on that ride! It'll take a few more rides with the Robart bit to see if he truly likes it, as they can act drastically different about a bit from ride to ride. Take it from me! But I saw a great beginning though. He's cute as a button! Congrats!

melissah

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:45:56 am »

YAY! Gotta hand it to you for going on a group ride, even though it was a small group when you'd only been on him a few times. He looked good, and pretty relaxed. So did you. And yes, there were some pretty hairy obstacles on that ride! It'll take a few more rides with the Robart bit to see if he truly likes it, as they can act drastically different about a bit from ride to ride. Take it from me! But I saw a great beginning though. He's cute as a button! Congrats!

Thanks Randi! After we run all our errands today we will ride around here. Tomorrow is the big group ride. We are going back to Hansen Dam and having lunch at the golf course. I was reading an article by Bob Avila in my latest Horse and Rider magazine and he was talking about bit transitions. He said he can sometimes go through   10 bits before he finds the right one.

AND....I can't believe the peace out there in gelding land. Looks like Jex might becoming the boss. Weird.

RackinRocky

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:36:18 pm »

Yep, I'll always be a gelding gal. I've known a few awesome mares, but overall I think most geldings are less complicated.  Are you nervous about tomorrow's ride?

So true about bits too. My Saber will go in virtually ANYTHING from snaffles to curbs, Wonder bits, to bosals, hacks, etc., and never misses a beat. I keep him in a french link only now that I know more. But back in the day, he really was experimented on! That horse is so tolerant! As for River, I did use, I think, 5 or 6 bits before I found the right one for him.  So I can easily imagine a person going through ten bits. I was just worried Jex might over react to a bit he wasn't used to and act up. I'm so glad he didn't. Good luck tomorrow!

melissah

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 07:27:55 am »

Yeah, I'll admit I'll always be a gelding gal too!

Nah...not nervous. He is such a good boy. Very laid back. I been ground working him any chance I can. Teaching him to flex now. Plus he seems to really go well in the Robart. He just didn't seem to like the gag bit so it seems he has some relief in the Robart. I ride with very soft hands. Last night we cleaned out our trailer/tack room and sheesh...we have about 10 bits. lol So I have plenty to try from here on out. But I always love the idea of bitless. Someday. I got a side pull and a Little S Hackamore.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:47 pm »

Do you think Jex might be uncomfortable or in pain of some sort while being ridden?  I noticed throughout the entire video, his tail was over to his right side.  I know I have ready many times that that can be a sign of pain.

He seems like a very nice, willing boy for you.  Hope it all works out well for you two!
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

2gaits

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »

I have read that about tail carriage but I don't believe it. I had one that flipped his tail to one side. Vet checked out fine and never exhibited any pain or discomfort. He was always equal to either direction as well.  I wouldn't worry about it unless something else comes up that makes you question it.

Walkin45

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »

Have lost out in some big time horse sales because the horse carried tail to one side and they thought there was something wrong.  One even took to vet for prepurchse and ended up not buying, crooked tail.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up