Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lameness  (Read 276 times)

2gaits

Lameness
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:40:15 am »

Well I am taking my mare to the vet today. She has has indeterminate lameness for awhile. Thought maybe an abscess at first but it really never acted like one. I think my husband wanted it to be that because she would get better. I've put off taking her because I really don't think I want to know what it is. She is such a great little horse and this is pretty upsetting.

2gaits

Re: Lameness
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:00:17 pm »

Diagnosis of ringbone. This is devastating news. Really broken hearted as I love this mare and she has been an amazing animal. My husband is so upset. He initially trained this mare and said she is the smartest horse he has ever worked with. His health issues won't be helped by this.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

I'm very sorry to hear this. Did the vet recommend any treatment?

2gaits

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »

She could be on pain meds. Might make a difference for a year or so by masking the pain. I don't think we are going to go that route. Ring bone is degenerative and we do not want to watch her slowly deteriorate and be in more pain.  We are planning on putting her down.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »

oh gosh, I'm so sorry.   
NC

G84me

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:57:36 pm »

Oh that is so SAD!  I'm so sorry that it is ringbone.  :'(  Can you manage the $ for X-rays to see exactly what/how much ringbone you are are dealing with?  Previcox is some great stuff if you aren't planning on sending her off immediately.  Heartfelt sympathies to you and your hubby.

So sorry,
Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:53:42 am »

So sorry.

Found article on horsechanel.com, "The Truth About Ringbone" that offered some treatments toward end of article depending on how advanced. One, they said was especially promising, some kind of shock therapy treatment. Since iringbone is a form of arthritis, read reviews on Amazon on Recovery EQ or Extra Strength Recovery EQ with HA, Smartpak products. I  may order
Extra Strength one for Fargo but his arthritis is.not ringbone. Another I am looking into for horse arthritis is Cheval International Shark Legs but cannot find reviews...this one VERY pricey. 

I have not tried any of these yet so use your own discression. Hope you find help for your baby.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:13:28 am by fargos handmaiden »

Ozhorse

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 03:42:07 am »

Did your vet do high quality x-rays of your horse? Are you very certain of that diagnosis ? You should be able to see signs of bad ringbone yourself.

Just asking because I had a gelding that had been getting slightly "off" for over a year, then got bad, then got really bad.  My vet who does not like fiddly horse stuff diagnosed him with ringbone in about 2 minutes, then gave him low quality x-rays (he said they were low quality because of lack of equipment so I knew that ) and thought he could see ring bone.  Then said I should get a new horse.

I got a second opinion (at great expense) from a vet who does like fiddly horse stuff and has lots of equipment and it was obvious it was NOT ringbone.  I didnt ever get a definite diagnosis other than pain in the navicular area, that was not able to be seen on x-ray so probably ligament and soft tissue problems around the navicular.  It took special shoeing and most of a year off to get him better.  I have to manage him with monthly shoeing to keep him sound.

Anyway, sorry to hear your horse is not right.  Just wanted to say that you would be able to see if the symptoms over time stacked up against ringbone or not.  I have seen a horse give itself ringbone banging its leg on a wall for 6 hours, get lame for a year, then get over it.  Other horses I have known with ringbone were lame but not bad and could be lightly ridden. 

Just thought there might be hope.
Also try a new farrier or shoeing and foot care regime, just in case.

If you do need to put the horse down you will know when the time comes. 

G84me

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:07 am »

I just wanted to throw this in about shockwave treatment.  If you can swing the $$ it may help. The treatments were about $200 each, which included the farm call.  Your vet may not cost as much.

Three years ago my STB gelding got a bad stifle tear.  Had a monthly treatment for four or five months (don't remember exactly now) then waited another month for an ultrasound.  The tear was 99% healed.  He was stalled for the entire sequence of treatments and until the ultrasound was completed.  (During that time I put him on one dose of Keep Cool by Silver Linings herbs)  It worked VERY well for him, and he didn't develop any bad habits from his confinement.

Then he got walked daily in weekly increments for 3, 5, 10, 20, then 30 minutes.  After that he was turned out alone for a few days, but able to talk over a fence with other horses. Finally he was able to go back out with his mare herd. 

This was SO worth the $$ though.  He was happy and so were the mares...they all came running up to him when we finally were able to put him back out with them.

Best wishes!

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

oncidium

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:45 am »

2Gaits, Gosh, I am so sorry to read this. 

You know your horse best.  You and only you can decide what choices to be made. 

So sorry.  I have also been through a devastating diagnosis on an animal.  Brings tears to my eyes to think of it.  The pain still is there for me although it has been almost 10 years.   Due to my past experiences in my personal life - I don't take loss well.  My heart sincerely goes out to you.  (((HUGS)))

O

I know where you stand silent in the trees, & that is where I am.  21 Pilots

There is no distraction to mask what is real.  21 Pilots

"I measured the skies, now the shadows I measure.

Skybound was the mind, earthbound the body rests."  Johannes Kepler, 1571-1630 Kepler's self-authored poetic epitaph

riding the sun

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:41 pm »

I agree, you know your horse and your vet the best.  It is a hard place to be in.  You have my sympathies.  Good decisions should b made from the horses view.
My favorite trail is the next one

2gaits

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:45:31 pm »

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I think I am still in shock even though I knew something was really wrong. We have decided to see how she will respond to the previcox. If she is able to be ridden like I normally ride, we will do that until she becomes uncomfortable and shows lameness. Vet thinks maybe she will be rideable for a year or so. Not sure if his idea of trail riding is really the type of riding I want to do though. Anyway, time will tell. Really awful to think my 11 year old mare is done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up