Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standlee alfalfa pellets  (Read 822 times)

Ladyluck

Re: Standlee alfalfa pellets
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »

I would be careful. we had our old gelding choke on equine senior pellets.  about lost him.  Vet was really good and says horses can choke on anything especially pellets.  he gets everything soaked to mush now.  takes alittle bit of time to do that.  we use hot water preboil off the stove top and let cool.

kckc

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 04:05:03 pm »

would never feed my dry - yes, I know others do... had a horse open a bag when I was offloading and take a mouthful and choked... vet bill but all was fine.... one mouthful and she is not a gulper...  vet says anything pelleted that will swell can cause terrible choke because as it sits in their throat it gets bigger !   
NC

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 04:55:02 am »

kckc, It's been a long while since I fed the Standlee pellets (TSC brand was cheaper and in stock more), but I don't remember any problems with them, and my gelding gulps his food if I let him. I can't say I ever made it a point to feel them and see if they were 100% mush though. I haven't fed alfalfa pellets since this summer, but now I'm almost curious enough to get another bag and see lol.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

ahmenti

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:00 am »

We have fed alfalfa pellets here and there and we fed them dry.  We just mix them in with their regular grain and have never had a problem.  I just bought some this weekend to start giving to my mare that is due to foal end of March. 

Kim

Kellie in OR

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:03 pm »

Both Bill and radar have choked on dry alfalfa pellets. But if I soak them radar thinks they are poison. Luckily we have a mill in Oregon that makes small soft pellets that are easily chewed. The are the size of rabbit pellets and made with beet pulp, alfalfa, timothy, rice bran and flax. No molasses or additives, top dress with vitamins and supplements as needed. It is the feed stores best seller, unfortunately they don't ship. You guys should talk to your local mills and see if something like this could be made for your area.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »

I also use Standlee alfalfa pellets for both of my 20+ y.o. geldings. They both need a special mineral mix to complement the hay I grow & feed them. I wet the pellets by topping them with soaked,rinsed,wetted beet pulp pellets(also Standlee). I add warm water to the wetted beet pulp in the container and pour all of that all over the alfalfa pellets. I sprinkle the mineral mix on top so it sticks to the beet pulp before I mix everything all together. The alfalfa pellets usually moisten up in about 15 min. or so. I do this on a table in my garage then carry it out to the barn. In the snowy weather, I'll put the big feed pan on a sled & pull it out to the barn.
  To encourage palatability of the mineral mix, I'll also add some psyllium pellets which are anise-flavored. Both horses love those!
Marilyn and
 Bud, 31yo reg. MFT gelding & Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 2 yo MFT  mare.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »

Until I use up these pellets, I am caring a bucket of pellets to the house, soaking with hot water, then taking that out to the barn for the days feeding.  I usually leave the bucket of dry pellets in the garage overnight.  But it is annoying, and takes more planning on my part.  I cannot just wait until he baby takes a nap then quick run to the barn.  I have to get the pellets soaked at least 15 minutes before I leave the house.  I am certain they are good quality alfalfa, but I will stick with the pellets from Canada at are non GMO, cheaper, and moisten in cold water.

Once I get a simple routine going for my chores, I like to stick with it.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up