Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Rats bedding down in the hay bales!!  (Read 802 times)

ponymare

Help! Rats bedding down in the hay bales!!
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:09:34 am »

Never had this problem before!  We store our round bales on pallets inside corral panels.  David bought a nice new tarp to cover the hay and started noticing that holes were being chewed in the tarp!!  Afraid to use poison even though they are inside the panels. I got David to buy some traps and he caught one first thing.  EEEWWW.  Those dang coyotes aren't doing their jobs at all! I've seen mice before but never rats. Any ideas of how to get rid of them??  I wonder why, after 15 years, we are having a problem! We have some kittehs that go through our pasture regularly, but they aren't helping us out either! I suggested moving the corral panels to another part of the pasture, but he said they will just move.

He said the tarp can't even be patched now. Wonder if something in the tarp was like an aphrodisiac to the rats. :-\
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:12:51 am by ponymare »

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Help! Rats bedding down in the hay bales!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:56 am »

Good barn cats will keep the rat population down too.  We do feed our barn cats, but not as much as they could eat, and we feed them in the barn.  We occasionally see rats, but not very often.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:10:23 pm »

I've had rats (not mice) move into my barn a couple of times.. no idea why - maybe someone tore down a building or someone suggested they came from the creek !?   Anyway, I didn't have a cat then but my dog caught one.  I did use poison for a bit because they were digging tunnels - underground dens?  I put out bowls of water far from the barn - supposedly some of the poison makes them want water and I wanted them to die away from the barn.  I stopped using the poison when I read that sometimes it isn't ingested and then kills the next thing that eats the rat - UGH..

Rodents need to chew all the time because of how fast their teeth grow so the tarp might have just been the closest thing.  I'd move the hay.  They might actually be nesting under it as well as traveling through it.   I use a mixture of peppermint oil (essential oil) and another (will have to find the name) that supposedly is unattractive to rodents.   I did gain a cat which may also be helpful.  Some cats may not go up against a full grown rat  ..
Do you know someone with a terrier breed?  If you could move the hay, borrow a jack russel you might be set.  My sheltie will go after one if she sees it but a terrier, well they won't stop.  I have a minpin that would love love love to be on mice/rat patrol in the barn but she also is a runner so that's a no go.
NC

generallee

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:12:12 pm »

we had rats on the farm recently and had to call a exterminator and he told us that rats have a "sleeping place" and there are a few rats that are always searching for "food" sources, they eat in certain places then go to where they sleep, a different place. we put out bait boxes, that was a while ago, and it worked,but we have to keep adding to the bait boxes, only put it where my dogs and cats can't get to it. I used to work at a feed store and a old timer swore by this and we tried it and it worked. get a pie plate tin or aluminum one and fill it with any brand of coca cola, the rats will drink it and the carbination from the soda, gross as it sounds, drops them dead. We had a chicken farmer try it and he said the next day he was picking up dead rats by the bucket full. harder to do now where it will freeze over night.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

Well darn. I hate rats. The only idea I have are to get a load of Nite Guards and surround your hay. I use them at both entrances to my barn on 5 gal. buckets turned upside down. Barn is open pretty much 24/7/365. No rats, no fox, no skunks, no possums in the barn. http://www.niteguard.com

Love the idea of poisoning them with cola. I'm not fond of roof rats. We have a few wood rats here, and they aren't large or plentiful, very shy. Swedish roof rats make eye contact. Creepy.

oncidium

Tis the season.  🎄 🎉 🎆

Give them some comfort and joy. 🎁 🎁 🎁

You have provided them already with comfort, now some joy.  🎉  RAT FOOD.  Tom Cat green bait might I suggest (walmart or TSC).  Get a big oh black bait box and load it up.  I should check my box today. 

I hate to find rat jerky in the hay when I am pulling it down.  BUT, rat jerky is better than one popping out alive, or living and communing in my hay and barn or house.  Then at that point it is like a soap opera, with all the noisey drama, child fights, adult fights, adults having unprotected $ex, in groups I suspect. Yes I have heard the drama above my bedroom in the attic.  Grrr.  But once again, if it comes to that, provide some snacks.  If you build it, they will come.

I have had traps literally walk away never to be found.  Not to say a fox didn't come in and take the snapped rat in the trap and all away.  Kinda like take out food in the drive through.  But then again, maybe said rat took my big trap and walked away.  ?

Once you make them a "habitat for humanity" (hay, barn etc) they will move in.  We all detest rats.  ICK!  🐀 🐁 🐭 🐹

O

ponymare

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 12:02:41 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions and wish us luck! We've only gotten three so far, but we may try some of these ideas and see what works!

kckc

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:35:36 pm »

just saw this online with a beautiful picture of an owl wrapped in a blanket.... 

I died today.
 I was found by a kind, sweet woman who does wildlife rescue.
 I was so sick, I could barely open my eyes.
 She took me inside, cradling me in her warm arms, and made me warm and comfortable.
 I opened my eyes and looked at her and thanked her for making my last few minutes as comfortable as possible.
 But i was too sick to keep fighting anymore.
 I had eaten a mouse that was poisoned, and it made me very sick.
 I closed my yellow eyes for the last time and went somewhere else.
 Please, all I ask is never use poison to kill the mice.
 Poison kills owls, like me.
 All I wanted was a mouse for dinner.
 I died today....

Please SHARE this for poison awareness.
 Stop the use of poison for rats or mice. Live traps are the best to use. Catch and release.
 Please.
 Save a precious life today, because all life is precious.
 It only takes one share to spread the word.
NC

ponymare

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 12:17:30 am »

Wish those Coyotes that do so much howling would do their jobs lol!  May have to take the price of that tarp out of their paychecks! :o

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 05:37:54 pm »

No rats here, thank goodness.   But a year or so ago, we were overrun with Chipmunks in my barn....my daughter found some rescued semi-feral cats.....within 2 weeks there were no Chipmunks in my barn.  Those two cats have been working overtime ever since.    They will catch and kill anything that moves, anywhere on the property.   :)    Oh, and they are not young cats, about 7-8 years old, and have dry cat food in the barn 24/7.
MJ

ponymare

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:31 am »

We don't have cats but there is a calico that hangs out in our pasture frequently.  Maybe she's just a mouser and doesn't tackle the bigger guys. Ugh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up