Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Standlee alfalfa pellets  (Read 855 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Standlee alfalfa pellets
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:31:34 am »

Just an FYI.

I feed soaked alfalfa pellets to my horses to get them to eat their mineral mix.  They don't like the minerals, and without something wet to stick the minerals to, they will leave the drip minerals in the bottom of their pans.  I normally buy bulk alfalfa pellets from the local cattle feed store.  It is closer to me, the pellets are in 50 pound bags and they are cheaper.

However, a friend borrowed my pickup and paid me in alfalfa pellets.  She bought standlee pellets from the local farm and fleet.

The pellets are slightly larger, and very shiny.....and it takes forever to soak them.  I don't have forever in the winter.  The ingredients are the same in both bags, just dried alfalfa meal. 

Just thought I would do a public service announcement for anyone who needs to soak alfalfa pellets and does not have all day to do chores.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Standlee alfalfa pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:54:37 am »

yes, they can take forever and even when you think they are soaked there are still hard kernels in there.... I end up using very hot water (from the wallpaper steamer I have at the barn) because I don't always think to start soaking hours before I need to feed.  I'd imagine in the winters in your area it would be very tough to have them soaking that long.    Haven't found any other timothy or alfalfa pellets in my area other than standlee
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:07:42 am »

You might want to check with animal feed stores for livestock operations in your area.  Mine does not carry horses feed per se, but a lot of things that horse people need.  I buy 50 bags of Magnesium oxide, 50 pound bags of flax meal from Canada, and 50 pound bags of alfalfa pellets. 

At the farm and fleet, which sells all sorts of horse feed, you can only get the Standlee.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:34 pm »

The possible reason for dryer pellets from Standlee is they DRY DRY their pellets well, also probably compact theirs more.  So a dryer product more compact means more of the product.

Kinda like "steamed oats".  You pay more for the moisture content than the product.

I wish I could take those off your hands.  My little old lady loves her Standlee alfalfa pellets.  She eats them every day, dry. 

I have soaked hay pellets and I have found they have an odd weird smell.  Some horses will eat them, some don't. 

If I have to mix something which I just did the other day, I use shredded beet pulp.  I gave my rm her annual shots, and she seemed a quiet the next day.  So gave her a scoop of bute, 2 cups of beet pulp, added a lil bit o water to moisten, and served right away.  Oh, I tossed the wet stuff on top of her 1 cup Standlee orchard pellets she gets in the am/pm.  I just wanted to make sure the orange flavored powdered bute wouldn't fall to the bottom and she not eat it.  She can be super picky about flavors, and I am not sure she is a fan of orange.  Bute, yes, orange, ummm no or not sure. 

I find Standlee a very quality product.  In our area the whatever brand (iow not Standlee) are very pale greenish/brownish in color.  Standlee is very bright and dark green.

Corn oil tends to make things stick, you do not have to use much.  I used to use that for some supplements for one of my competition arabs that they didn't really care for it.  Accel.   He was just not a fan of alfalfa I figured out.  Main ingredient in Accel is alfalfa.  He wouldn't eat it with just beet pulp, wet or not.  Weird, he would eat most anything on the earth, but not always Accel.  I still like Accel but don't feed it to my RM due to the flax in it.  No flax for her.

O

“There is living proof that you can eat healthy and live an active, healthy lifestyle no matter where you live as long as you work hard and ignore the peer pressure to conform to everyone else’s unhealthy lifestyle”  Scooby1961 on Facebook

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »

No, not going to ever use beet pulp.

100% of all sugar beets processed in the USA are roundup ready.  Not sure how much roundup ends up in the beat pulp, but the sugar contains enough to kill honey bees....my brother killed all his hives feeding beet sugar water the year after all sugar beets went GMO.  He did not know until he had to figure out what killed his hives 100% within 2 days of feeding the sugar water.....something always done going into winter around here.

Does Roundup hurt horses?  Don't know, not finding out.

And yes, I will soon have to read alfalfa pellet labels to make sure it is NOT roundup ready as more and more alfalfa goes that direction.  But the current pellets I get are from Canada and labeled non-GMO.  They are used by organic cattle farmers in this area.  Not so sure on the Standlee, that is not addressed on the lables of the bags I currently have.

The horses like the soaked alfalfa pellets so they chow down the mineral mix that they don't like.

No, not using corn oil.  I can keep water liquid in a heated bucket...not keeping oil liquid, and I am feeding flax so they get omega 3.  Corn oil is nearly 100% omega 6.

kckc

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:15 pm »

I had read a little into standlee products - this was online ....    As of December 1, 2013, Standlee will have a limited amount of GMO Alfalfa and Alfalfa Blended products in retail outlets. GMO Alfalfa could be found in cubes, pellets, chopped or bales.
 Standlee Premium Western Forage® recognizes and respects that consumers appreciate a variety of product choices. Therefore, Standlee provides non-GMO straight Timothy Grass and Orchard Grass options across formats. (IE: Orchard Grass Pellets, Timothy Grass Pellets & Bales)
 Visit our products overview page for a complete list of products.

hate that happened to the bees !   All of the hay I've bought has been treated with weedkiller - the only place I found that supposedly did not use weedkiller was out of state. 

speedi beet is non-gmo beet bulp
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:49 pm »

Well....another reason to not like them.  My Canadian alfalfa pellets are non GMO.

oncidium

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:05 am »

Why not just use plain water on their feed?  Just to moisten? 

BTW when I used corn oil, it was only like a tablespoon, or less, just enough to make it stick.  I have also used molasses, or sorgum, or honey.  Mostly I used water. 

I do live in an agricultural area and have for 20 years.  I know lots on the crop spraying.  I myself have been literally sprayed, and I got really sick for many months.  We do not consume soy - ever.  We have a bean field right across the street, and one behind us.  I am not a fan of round up at all.  But not sure how to avoid it due to the wind, and migration of it through a plant to the soil, to the water, and so on.

Our entire house and property (barn water included) is filtered.  We spend $$ to use a filter, so we are mindful of any water we use.  It is nasty if we do not. 

When we move forever away from this area in a few months, we will not be living in an ag area.  Looking for property NOW.

That spray can drift on the wind for miles, and miles.  When they drop chicken poop around here, it is awful.  The dust from the litter travels many miles.  ICK.  That is not only at the house, but when you drive through certain areas, or areas not even close to where they dropped it.  Wind.  It is a powerful thing.

O

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 06:24:07 am »

O, that is what I do, just put water on to moisten and make the minerals stick.  Works great with the alfalfa pellets from Canada, just does not work at all with the standlee pellets.

So, I am sure they are great pellets for some people, just don't work for me and my needs.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:39 am »

I use Standee alfalfa pellets and have no trouble soaking them. Hot water out of the tap, 15 minutes. I do this in the house before heading out to the barn.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

kckc

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:33 am »

yeah, hot water melts them very quickly  - cold water doesn't.    seems to me they fluff more with cold water ??
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the super-hard pellets are caused by a production problem at the mill. It's a known problem with pelleted feeds, too much of some clay binder or something. Betcha if you contact Standlee and complain, they'll send you a coupon for a free bag. I get timothy cubes that can be so hard they never soften. The only thing that works is hot water. I'm lucky to have a small water heater in my barn. Others take a big Thermos of hot water to the barn.

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 05:09:52 am »

Huh, I used alfalfa pellets, some Standlee, some Dumor (TSC), and they always turned to mush within about 5-10 minutes for me. I dumped them in the feed pan, put a scoop full of water in with them, finished my other feeding chores, and by the time I let the horse in and he got to them they were mush.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

kckc

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:31:40 am »

OHtrailg - the standlee pellets?  there are parts of the pellet that turn to mush but if you actually feel them there are usually a bunch that are still hard... I use the timothy alfalfa daily and even hot water needs some time to get some of those kernels.   Would love to know if you grab/feel yours and there aren't still hard ones in there.   
NC

Iceangel

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 11:03:54 am »

Maybe off topic but I feed the Standlee Alfalfa pellets and I feed them dry. I feed them for protein.  I am thinking there is a better choice though.  I couldn't get alfalfa hay this year so decided upon them instead. I use a grass balancer but it isn't high protein for me.  But what I really want to know, is if they could choke on these pellets?  I only give 3/4 cup so I don't think that is enough to choke on.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up