Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Storage Containers for Left-overs?  (Read 524 times)

NoBite

• Administrator
Storage Containers for Left-overs?
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:10 am »

I'm looking for recommendations for storage containers for leftovers. Needs to be freezer and refrigerator safe. Bonus if microwaveable. Needs to stack well in cabinet. Bonus for being economical to purchase. Currently using an odd assortment of Rubbermaid containers. What's better? Thanks.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

Re: Storage Containers for Left-overs?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:56:08 am »

Tupperware, or old yogurt containers.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:21:41 am »

I like the Rubbermaid (and similar store brand) containers that you buy in a multipack. They're inexpensive, lightweight and not expected to last forever. You give food to somebody and they don't need to return the container. They work well in the fridge, freezer and are microwaveable, but I never nuke in plastic. They're basically disposable, but I keep using them as long as they're serviceable. Whatever you use, you want it to be BPA-free. That rules out reusing cottage cheese and yogurt containers. 

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:47:02 am »

Several years ago, I let myself get "hooked" by that tv ad for storage containers that came w/ a spinning rack that held lids, plus 3 different sizes of containers.  Biggest holds 20 oz, down to 4 (?) oz.  At the time I felt really stupid after I placed my order, because I ordered an extra rack AND two complete extra sets of the containers & lids.  Fast forward to now, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made.  The containers themselves are square, and one size lids fit all containers, they store nicely in fridge or freezer.  I NEVER put them in the microwave--always transfer into a pan for re-heating or a micro-safe bowl.  So far, after close to 10 years, the only casualty in the set has been a couple of lids that broke @ corners.  I have a big drawer that holds my odds 'n' ends of plastic containers and lids, which I still use from time to time.  When I know I'm gonna take something to someone/somewhere that I don't expect to see the container again, I use the odds n ends OR I buy a package of cheap plastic storage containers.  I looked but can't find these online anywhere now.  But if you find a set like this, I totally recommend them.   
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:59:52 am »

Here they are:  http://www.amazon.com/Spin-Store-Swirl-Around-Containers/dp/B005MGJ0SK

THANKS, Val!! I am going to give this a close look! Your testimonial speaks well for their durability!

Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:56:07 am »

Those are pretty cool Val
I do what Cyd does-- use the Rubbermaid --

I do have a couple of glass bowls that used to have lids--- the lids gave way- but I still use the bowls to heat items in the microwave.

All the "organizational" stuff I've been reading -- especially for the trailer-- make sure and get square -- as it takes up less room---

see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 05:56:11 am »

Exactly, Claudia. Yes, square seems to be the deal. Now, if I could find glass containers and lids with a nifty lazy susan type holder, well that would be just perfect!

kckc

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:28:01 am »

you can make your own lazy susan but the way it's made (with marbles) you wouldn't want in your horse trailer.  the other option is to look at tool caddy lazy susans and find one that fits the storage containers you want.   
NC

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:05 am »

When I make chili and any kind of soups, I freeze leftovers in freezer bags.   Takes up less room and just set out to thaw like anything else.

see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:36:49 am »

you can make your own lazy susan but the way it's made (with marbles) you wouldn't want in your horse trailer.  the other option is to look at tool caddy lazy susans and find one that fits the storage containers you want.   

Now that's an idea I didn't think of! Thanks!!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:14 am »

When I make chili and any kind of soups, I freeze leftovers in freezer bags.   Takes up less room and just set out to thaw like anything else.

Yes. That is what I am doing now. Maybe my labeling method leaves something to be desired, but I seen lots of bags of stuff and just want a more organized approach. (It could be operator error, but what's the fun in discussing that?!)

kckc

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:55 am »

there is something to be said for "surprise" dinners... just don't label at all and eliminate having to make those choice decisions  :-)
NC

JenLS

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 01:12:40 pm »

I like glass.  I have Pyrex and Life Factory.  The pyrex ones are my favorite because they are cheap (walmart) and large enough to cook a small casserole in.  Then I can just pop the lid on and stick it in the fridge or freezer.  ETA: I use freezer bags when I make stock.  If you lay it flat in the freezer it freezes flat and then it stacks easily.  I just use a sharpie to write the type and date on it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:24:04 pm by JenLS »

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »

I keep a roll of plain ol' Scotch tape in the kitchen.  Apply about a 3" long piece to the lid, write date/what's in it using a Sharpie marker.  Then just pull the tape off before I wash the lids each time.  I used to just use Sharpie right on the lid, but that gets messy & confusing after awhile.
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up