Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go?  (Read 733 times)

JMR - Scout and Cisco

Where to go?
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:01 am »

Well, we have our spring vacation all planned for this year and now we need to come up with something for the fall of 2016.  We have been to most horse camps from NY to IL and IN.  South all the way to FL but don't really want to do anything along the eastern coast again.  We would probably perfer to not go any further south then TN.  But just can't decide where to go.  We have 3 weeks of vaction to splurge on but trying to keep costs down and not go too far south or west.   We have been to most of the campgrounds over the years and would like something "new" to us.  Where should we go is the question.  There will be 2-4 trailers of us.  Just never know who all is going to come from year to year. 

What does everyone like best in that big square of the US that maybe we have not been too.  Which is hard to find a place we have not been in that square, but maybe something that has new owners and lots of riding.  The most important thing is being able to get our huge trailer in places too.  That can be an issue on hils and turns.  But so far we have not had too many problems.  Only whiped out our holding tank twice now.  When that happens is the moment I want to knock some sense into Steve for not stopping when I say we are not going to make it!! 

So, we need easy access campgrounds for very large trailer access.  We prefer stalls too and hookups.  This is vacation.  We want easy set up and not worrying about the horses not being in a good secure stall.  We travel with 4, so 2 are always left behind.  Sometimes lately they have gotten their stupid brains in action and went through portable fence and I will not picket line unless we are there to watch and check on them.  Leaving 2 behind each day means a good stall that they won't try to get out of. 

Any new places you can suggest that we may not have been to or have not been there in a long time.  I have a couple of places in my mind as go backs but not enough for 3 weeks vacation.

Jeanne

kckc

Re: Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:09:39 am »

well, the 3 weeks of riding may have me a little stumped... I like the Mt Rogers area, most of those campgrounds will trailer your horse to other trail heads which is nice - the VA creeper is a nice gaiting trail off Mt Rogers and the mtn views up there are to die for.   Not far from there is the New River trail - but it is wide gaiting trail with hikers, bikes etc.  Not sure what else sprouts off from it.   I personally love Dupont forest in Hendersonville, NC but unless there are new campgrounds I only know of one that is on a trailhead and a couple of the other campgrounds are NOT large trailer friendly. http://www.shoalcreeknc.com/index.htmlÂ
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:55:54 am »

Big South Fork.
Life is short, buy the pony!

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:09:57 am »

We did go to Big South Fork last year, but we could go on a total different area of Big South Fork.  And Linda and Charlie broke down last year, so they never did get back there with us last year.  They broke down in IN on the way into camp. Had to have their truck towed to the dealership.  Picked up the truck the day before we planned to leave and drove it 10 miles from the camp and broke down again for the same problem.   So, they again got towed back to the campground and sent the truck back again to the dealership for the repair again.  Then picked it up in the middle of the 2nd week of vaction, started out, and again it was not shifting properly.  That time, they just kept driving and Not shiffting unless it was absolute necessary, shifting as little as possible to nurse it to PA. 

They then had the local mechanic repair the truck correctly and were reinbursed by the dealership in IN.

We have not been to Mt. Rogers in a long time too.  Not sure if Linda and Charlie went there with us before or not.  That is an option also.

Jeanne
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:12:07 am by JMR - Scout and Cisco »

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:50:23 am »

Ron and Judy really like Pinecrest in Mo  -  Salem MO

http://www.pinecrestcampground.com/
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:58:12 pm »

There's always East Fork in Jamestown, and several smaller ones in that area.  Another nice one is Catoosa Ridge just about 40 miles south of East Fork and just off I-40. Catoosa Ridge has a really nice lounge and kitchen that can be used by campers. Timber Ridge Horse Campground is also in Jamestown and they have their own trails and if you ride across the street you can get onto Big South Fork trails.    Land Between the Lakes is another option if you haven't been up there and then just south of KY into Westmoreland, TN is Long C Trails.  .  All have nice campgrounds and larger stalls. 

If you want to try other campgrounds in TN, google www.PickTnProducts.org and request their Trail Guide. 

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:47 am »

We really don't want to go as far west as MO this year.  Maybe next year, but this year we are trying to cut miles.  But East Fork is an idea.  We did Big South Fork last year in a different area but Linda and Charlie broke down, so they didn't get to go.  Never been to Catoosa Ridge.  I will look at that one too.  Timber Ridge might be a good option too if they have their own trails too.  Yes we have been to Land Between the Lakes several times too.  I was looking at Long C Trails.  We had not been there I don't think.  At least I know if we did, that Linda and Charlie were not with us.

Good suggestions, we have lots of time, but I like to put something together early so we can make our reservations by the first part of summer.  We will see them in April for sure if not before that.  I am just trying to put ideas together.  We also message back and forth on ideas.  But keep the ideas coming.  We will have 3 weeks worth of vacation and they will have 2 weeks. 

Jeanne

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:47:06 am »

We stayed at East Fork for a week and loved it. We found the trails to be accurately marked, especially in regards to their difficulty. Let me know how you like the Alvin York Pass!!  😳  The campsites were fairly large and the folks very accommodating. I'd go back for sure.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Legs, MFT, 1999   Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:56 am »

Catoosa is nice, but only a couple days riding.  I'd like to try east fork, but they're $$.

Pasolady

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:55 am »

Long C isn't bad, some nice trails, pretty rocky also, so shoes or boots is recommended.  Also you have to open gates, some can be worked from horseback, but a few you really have to dismount to open.  Long C is a working farm with access to other farms so the reason for the gates.  There were more trails there when first opened, but due to some people not shutting gates and letting cows get loose, those were pretty much closed down.   Hanging Rock seems to be the most popular trail, with Cindy's Lookout being the next.  Trails are also a lot of up and down, some of those ups can get pretty rough, but doable on a good horse.  Really only a couple of good days riding there, you may be able to stretch it out to three days.  People who own Long C are nice and campground is well kept and clean.

rydincolor

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 09:14:07 am »

I will still suggest Acadia Carriage Trails in Maine.  Wonderful riding and beautiful coastline. 
Some people are like dark clouds--when they go away the sun comes out.

Truth is a lonely warrior.

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:49 am »

Don't get back in the back at East Fork like you did when we all meet there many years ago-- remember how unlevel it was?

I would suggest Campground A-- and try to get spot  20  - that's the one we used when we had the big trailer-- it's pretty level also and shady- and you can see the stalls from there.

Any of those right along there would be good--
Still one of my very favorite places to ride-- the overlooks are like none other--- they are pricey -- but we try and go every couple of years.

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:56 am »

Before you make a decision on East Fork, check their website calendar.  They do an awful lot of big organized rides.  You don't have to participate with the group rides and can ride on your own, but the campsites/stalls fill up faster and you have to not mind crowds.  Also, some of the organized rides have mandatory meals, and that can get expensive. 

I like Camp A, but B is also nice.  It's a little more out of the way and not as much traffic.  The other bath house is in this campground also.  The pavilion is in Campground A and can get noisy and busy.  They have expanded Campground B and if you have living quarters trailers there is a new section and a new barn.  Not as much vehicle traffic -- one of the trail heads starts right out of this campground.  I think it's a few dollars more expensive, but worth it for the peace and quiet if you don't want a longer walk to the bath house.

ClaudiaIN

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »

B is off the path, but last time we were there, not all the B sites had water?
I haven't been there since they have a new barn back there so probably it's changed.

I also didn't suggest B because I didn't know if they could "make" the loop easy with the size of trailer they have.

kckc

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:36 pm »

Hey Jeanne, just opened The trail rider magazine and they have multiple pages of "where to ride" organized by region and state, if you don't get this magazine I'd be glad to scan these for you
NC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up