verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pole light troubleshooting needed  (Read 239 times)

Little Freckles

pole light troubleshooting needed
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:58 am »

About 2 yrs ago, I put a dusk to dawn pole light on the barn.  This week, I have noticed it going off and on at night for no apparent reason.  All of a sudden, it will dim down, go out then come back on.  It has been too muddy to safely put up a ladder to look at it so I thought I would ask here to get an idea of what could be wrong so I know what to look for.  The pole light at my old house burned 24/7 and in the 20 yrs we lived there, we might have changed the bulb once so not sure if it is a sensor problem or a bulb problem on this "new" light fixture. Any help will be appreciated-no man in my life to delegate this to  :P so if I can, I'd rather fix it on my own before I call an electrician.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

kckc

Re: pole light troubleshooting needed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:20 am »

when you can get up there you might find dirt or a dead insect on the sensor.  If it is coming on & off that would make me think sensor.  If it's new perhaps contact the mfg and maybe they will send you a new one?
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:39:08 am »

Ours is doing the same thing. Sometimes replacing the sensor fixes it. Hubby already did and it's still going on and off at random. The next step is to replace the entire light. Things are no longer made to last.

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:39:33 am »

Try a new bulb FIRST.  Some of those lights do not do well in cooler weather.  also make sure it is a clean area up there, iow, no dust, bird or rat poo, or dead bodies.

If the bulb doesn't fix it, yup the whole fixture may need to be replace.

Cheaper to TRY the above than call an electrician.  You can do it yourself.  If I was there I would do it for free for ya. 

O

Don’t let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen.

If you don’t start somewhere, you’re gonna go nowhere.

A friend is someone who understands my past, believes in my future, and accepts me just the way I am.

Little Freckles

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »

as soon as the ground hardens up and I can safely get a ladder up, I planned to clean it really well and check to be sure things are as they should be.  I did get a new sensor today to try.  The 2 gentlemen at the farm store said it was either the sensor or the ballast.  If ballast, I was better off to replace the whole thing.  I stood outside for half an hour and just watched the light last night-the bulb dims down, but does not go completely out.  It then flares and gets bright again.  It seems to be random.  Thank you for your suggestions-and offers.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up