Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new moving slow feeder  (Read 345 times)

kckc

new moving slow feeder
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:30:57 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/FreeRangeStabling/videos/1676061119303093/?theater     I would want the potential hoof trap at the top of the barrels fixed... but very interesting
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: new moving slow feeder
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:45:12 am »

Can I say I'm not impressed? First you have to cement in this structure, add the flimsy looking arms, then cover it with a plastic tarp that's not going to last through the first storm. Before I went to this expense and trouble, I would sink 2-3 posts, add rings about 6' off the ground (cuz I can't reach much higher) and hang some simple, easily filled, easily replaceable hay nets.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:02 pm »

Yeah, I don't know where my comments went when I put this up... I wasn't  tickled about the foot trap at the top of the barrels and dragging the barrels out every day.    the tarp on top does nothing really so it would just be a fly away sometime.. it doesn't come out far enough to provide a dry place to eat, not long enough to keep rain off the track they are walking and would be limited shade I think.   Lot of work it seems to me.   
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:06:49 pm »

KC, that's odd...I do remember reading your comments. I wonder where they went?

Oh...I'll bet you made the comments on the FB page, not here on GHS.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »

that's possible but...wow... I was so sure...   :-)
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:02:33 am »

The first thing that came to my mind was that this was a permanent solution. It would not take long, on a wet day, for ruts to be established around the perimeter. That would become a muddy mess in a short time here. But, maybe in areas with less rain and different soil it could work.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up