Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remember to Eat for Luck on New Year's Day!  (Read 380 times)

Laurie

Remember to Eat for Luck on New Year's Day!
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:59 am »

Happy New Year! from WTN! 

I wanted to remind everyone to eat those "special" foods for luck and money for the coming year :)  I especially want to eat the greens, which is supposed to be for money.....because I need some ;)

Here in the south, our NY's lucky meal is greens, pork, black-eyed peas and cornbread.  At least that is what I was brought up eating.
I just finished cleaning and preparing my greens (Collards and Turnip) and they are on the stove slowly cooking until lunchtime which is later today, when our stepdaughter and grandson come over.

Today our menu is:

Pork Chops
Turnip and collard greens
Blackeyed peas
Rice
cornbread

We had this thread last year, and it was kind of neat to see what folks in other parts of the country considered their NY's day lucky foods.

Again, Happy New Year to all.  I hope the upcoming year brings happiness and health for you and your animals!

Laurie

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: Remember to Eat for Luck on New Year's Day!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:07:12 am »

Sauerkraut with pork, carrots and mashed potatoes, followed by custard pie.

oncidium

Re: Remember to Eat for Luck on New Year's Day! 🍗🍅🍎🍴
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:42:08 am »

Lunch:
Brown lentils, 1 wheat hard roll

Snack:  🍎Gala apple with almond butter (unsweetened, no salt, fresh made)

Supper:

Grilled chicken, huge mixed green lettuce salad (I am adding baby carrots, celery, tomatoes, 4 greek olives), a vinaigrette I make fresh (easy), maybe a sweet potato (need to bake it though).  May bake it as fries (sliced, tossed in olive oil, baked in oven).

I still have 5-6#'s more to make my goal weight of 135.  Those are gonna be some hard "el-bee's" to get off.  So few but so elusive to make go away.  And yes, I am exercising, and lifting hand weights.  BTW hand weights, and weights in general are the KEY to dropping el-bee's aka pounds, which I do at home.  Move more eat less!  I am concentrating for our meals to be a protein and vegge this year.  So, far so good.  We eat lots of frozen vegges this time of year.  🍅🍋🍗🍵🍴

O

Don't drink your calories. 

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 11:39:18 am »

Never any special meal, but I did buy a standing rib roast (prime rib) on sale for $6.99 a lb (the store does this once a year).  So we're having that with roasted potatoes and fresh green beans. 

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:17:38 pm »

Everything sounds wonderful....don't know about the kraut....the only time I eat it is on a reuben sandwich or hot dog!   I have never attempted a standing rib roast......think its too much for just me and hubby.  How many people does one feed?

Laurie

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:10:41 pm »

I was planning "traditional" again this year.  Realized this morning while I was getting dressed that I totally FORGOT to buy turnip/collard greens, so this year's "tradition" is just BEP's and a pan of cornbread made w/ double butter.  And for dessert this evening we're finishing off the last few pieces of our 3 lbs. of Mrs. Sees, ordered in early December.  Gonna order a big bag of roasted unsalted pistachios in their shells sometime this next week, which will replace holiday sweets for dessert.  Net gain during the entire season starting on Thanksgiving was a lb., maybe two, so I'm in good shape to get back on track for that last 10 lbs. I want to lose this year!  Yay, 2016!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 04:32:16 pm »

Laurie -- The standing rib roasts have the ribs in them (I think the standard prime rib roasts have had the bone removed).  The butcher told me to allow 2 ribs per person.  I bought 4 ribs, that way we can have a leftover dinner.  It's really no different than cooking an oven roast.  It does need to "sit" for a few minutes to let the juices go into the meat, so if I want a medium doneness at about 160, I take it out when the thermometer reads 150.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »

When you cook sauerkraut for a main dish,  you cook it for several hours.  It's still tangy,  but the flavor mellows out. I  cooked boneless pork ribs and carrots in it.  The carrots get sweet and the pork is SO tender!  Pile it on top of buttered mashed potatoes...mmmmmmmm!

caglover

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:38 am »

Laurie -- The standing rib roasts have the ribs in them (I think the standard prime rib roasts have had the bone removed).  The butcher told me to allow 2 ribs per person.  I bought 4 ribs, that way we can have a leftover dinner.  It's really no different than cooking an oven roast.  It does need to "sit" for a few minutes to let the juices go into the meat, so if I want a medium doneness at about 160, I take it out when the thermometer reads 150.

Mine came out at 130! (we had ours on Christmas)

I used a reverse-sear method...cooked at 250 until the temp reached the 130 ..took it out to rest, heated to oven to 500..once the oven reached temp (about 20 minutes..which is how long it needs to rest to redistribute the juices) then back into the oven to put the "crust" on it.

I used a coffee rub..salt, pepper, fine ground coffee, and a scrapped vanilla bean.

For New Years..the traditional (for us) Pork Roast and Sauerkraut
We did start with a new bowl of French Onion soup made from stock made with the bones from the standing rib

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:46 am »

caglover - sounds wonderful. I  looked up some pictures of standing rib toasts on the internet to see what they looked like, and now I have a better understanding....I thought they were this big round thing that stood on the ribs and would be too big for me and hubby.  I never knew you could buy it in smaller portions (ribs?).

Love, love love french onion soup and used to make it. It would be a meal for use with some good toasted bread covered with melted gruyere cheese.  Haven't made it since I've been dieting low carb cause the bread is my favorite part :-[

I'll save your instructions for the rib roast for my next special dinner.  Thanks.

laurie

Linda Y

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:24 am »

I did mine just a little different. Used the crockpot and piled in black eyed peas, lima beans,spinach and sausage. Had it with cornbread. It was yummy.

oncidium

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 08:44:01 am »

If sauerkraut is too strong, RINSE it before cooking or eating it.  It is the vinegar which makes it strong. 

I love the 'kraut!  mmm.  Mouth watering right now.  mmm.  With sausages, mmm.

For french onion soup, omit the bread or use a thin slice, omit cheese or use a tiny minute amount.

We love onions.  I sauté them until brown and will serve as a side dish or on top of something else.  mmmm

O

My mind.  It is a dangerous thing to let idle. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 01:43:55 pm »

There is no vinegar in sauerkraut. Just cabbage and salt.

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 10:14:11 pm »

I did my standing rib roast using a convection oven so didn't need to use a high heat to brown it.  The convection oven seals the meat faster and the juices stay in it.   I just put it in at 325 until it was about 140 or so, then took it out to stand for 10 minutes.  It was done to perfection -- red in the the middle and crusty outside.  We're having the leftovers tomorrow.  Gonna slap the remaining piece on the grill for a few seconds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up