verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A slow feeder for grain  (Read 233 times)

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
A slow feeder for grain
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:52:25 am »

I need to figure out something to keep Brown entertained during the day after he finishes his grain or slow him down. He only gets complete pellets now, no hay do to the fact he may only have one molar and his incisors.

Well the burger is getting bored & making sawdust out of the boards in his stall.

So I am looking for something durable to help him slow down so he can stay busy longer.

Raylin

kathypa

Re: A slow feeder for grain
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:57:43 am »

I have seen a slow down grain feeder in catalogues. Or use a bigger container and put river rocks in it.

kathypa

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:00:36 am »

Could you make him a popsickle? Make a slurry and freeze it?

kckc

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:39:12 am »

look at the hay stretcher - it's very crumbly pellet that is a replacement for hay --  there are several toys out there that the horse bangs around and it drops pellets or treats ...  If you put down a huge flat pan and spread out the pellets it won't delay him much ....   does he have a place where he can be outside in a paddock?  there he could pellets spread out all over the ground to find, a ball to play with etc
NC

cruisinlight

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:46 am »

I read a suggestion to hang a big turnip in the stall--instead of those commercial treat holders. I don't know how long that would keep a horse busy....

Kellie in OR

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

How about one of those plastic balls you can put pellets into and and they roll it around to release a nugget at a time. I just don't recall what they are called….  :-[

OldnOrnery

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:09:47 pm »

Nose-It. My mares couldn't be bothered with them. It's a mare personality thing. Don't know what a stallion would think about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up