Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: November visit to Big South Fork  (Read 450 times)

ponymare

November visit to Big South Fork
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:24:53 pm »

We weren't able to go up and visit our place in TN to see the pretty fall foliage but we still enjoyed the week! We went on a couple of trails around Bandy Creek and along the O&W Rail by White Oak Creek.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:11:03 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Re: November visit to Big South Fork
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:36:23 pm »

Well I'm having all sorts of trouble attaching pictures. And now it attaches it twice when I decide the files must be too big. Oh well. I've tried from phone and iPad and now the tab. But I guess I can just attach each one separately even though I don't think the files are too big as it says.

ponymare

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:41:42 pm »

A few more pics of river

ponymare

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:43:58 pm »

Sunny ears!

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:19:17 pm »

Great pictures!  At least you got to,spend some time there this fall!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:13 am »

Nice - enjoyed the pictures
NC

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 01:49:03 pm »

I recognize that area.  We were just there this fall.   Nice riding.  The only tough part was going back up the hill after we left the river area.  It was big rocks and slippery for tired horses.  But it sure is a pretty area.

Jeanne

ponymare

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 01:09:21 pm »

That's true Jeanne!  This time we went to the Mill Creek Trailhead and the ride down to the O&W wasn't nearly as long and steep so the climb back up wasn't nearly as bad as from Coyle Branch area.  Don't ask me how we got there though.  We went with some local folks.  I think we might have gone close to Honey Creek Campground? We turned off before there to White Oak development property.  They also said you can access the O&W from Zenith and that you drive down the hill there. We only rode from Mill Creek TO Zenith and back and didn't cross to Zenith so I'm not really sure what it looked like.  But I definitely remember the huge hill we had to climb back in the spring and was for a better, faster way to the O&W.  It was a bit muddy, so we found a few hidden rocks in the mud that weren't fun, but it wasn't too bad.  We had them booted, but about 15 minutes from the hill (and trailers), Gabe started bobbing and David found that the wet, muddy neoprene was rubbing the back of his foot.  David chose just to take the boots off since we were so close and they made it up the rocky hill okay. No lasting damage.  I'm sure it was just the excess of mud and dampness.  We rode about 2 1/2 hours on that trail and it was flat with a little gaiting off and on, so they stayed pretty fresh. That O&W is one long trail!

And yes, Carol, I was glad we got to go back, even if not to leaf peep!

I think I finally got the one of me and our guide (and neighbor) small enough to post!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:10:22 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

Here's another that shows some of the sandstone on the trail (part of the trail we call Bandy Creek Loop).

ponymare

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »

Jeanne, here is where we rode from... alll of those points are along the O&W and White Oak Creek so you can see it's not too far to the Creek from the parking area.

JMR - Scout and Cisco

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 07:07:24 am »

I recognize that sign, but can't remember where I saw it there.  We have been in so many parts of that area, that it takes me a bit to get my barrings when I am there and not go the wrong direction.  The GPS is a big hero.  I love that area, but not sure I would want to live there in retirement or not.  Just becasue it is such a very busy area.  I guess if a farm came up for sale that was well worth moving there, we would consider it.  Really haven't started shopping yet, just window shopping.  We still have at least 4 years before we can seriously look.   But I would certainly consider that as our retirement area.  It would have to be a farm with enough land for our 4 horses to have pasture.

Jeanne

ponymare

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:57:28 pm »

Pasture land is hard to find there. Most of the lots are wooded.  One reason we picked land that was mostly open. It has woods along the back and a cool rock bluff. We only have 2 horses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up