Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanksgiving - Looking for some easy and good recipes for side dishes  (Read 319 times)

Laurie

Again I am hosting the family Thanksgiving dinner.  Everyone arrives from out of town, so I have to do all of the cooking.  I've got the turkey, dressing and ham covered, but am looking for some EASY and good side dishes, so please post your favorite recipes or those you always make :)

I would love a good recipe for Mac and Cheese (for the kids)
I'm looking for a really good sweet potato casserole

or....just tell me what your menu is for the day.....that will give me some ideas!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:10:25 am by Laurie »

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: Thanksgiving - Looking for some easy and good recipes for side dishes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:41:34 am »

Roasted winter vegetables.

Sweet potatoes
Winter squash
Onions
Granny Smith apples
Can add a few other similar winter veggies

Peel the sweet potatoes and the winter squash, I use butternut.  Chop everything into cubes about 3/4 inch.  Brush with olive oil, and season.  I use something called Tsardust, a Russian spice blend.  But pumpkin spice blend works too.  Salt lightly.
Spread one layer deep in a cake pan.  Roast at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Take out, and stir everything.  Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes, so all the veggies are cooked through.  The edges of some may be slightly carmelized.
Serve.  Delicious.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:11 am »

Thanks Kysa!  That will also please my vegan relatives ;)

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:02 am »

It is my vegetarian daughter I started making that for.  However, she has now determined she will eat organic chicken, so that is what we are having.

My Menu, and I would share any other recipe needed.

Roasted Organic chicken.....3 for the number of guests I will have
Mashed purple potatoes....fun for little grandkids!
Gluten free gravy
Roasted winter veggies
Gluten free cornbread stuffing
Tomato and cucumber salad...amazing from the last tomatoes and cucumbers in my sons greenhouses
Fresh cranberry orange relish
Wheat rolls...made by my mother for the folks that can eat them
Raspberry jam, homemade for the above
green bean casserole....also with wheat in it.  Made by a guest for the other guests that can eat it.
Pumpkin pie squares....gluten free
real whipped cream

we should all gain at least 10 pounds!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:44:13 am by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:39:11 am »

I am all about SIMPLE for side dishes.  Just the two of us, so we don't need a lot of food for one meal.  My favorite side for both Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham is plain ol' baked sweet potatoes/yams.  I scrub them really well, then wrap in aluminum foil, then all in a shallow pan to catch any sugary drips that may escape the aluminum foil. Depending on how big they are & what temp I'm cooking the turkey, I put them in the oven with the turkey for anywhere from 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours.  We eat w/ ridiculous portions of real butter.  These are soooo good, and one year I thought that I'd try a sweet potato pie from the leftover baked sweet potatoes.  I was shocked that even w/ the addition of extra sweetening (corn syrup? or molasses--can't remember) the sweet potato pie actually wasn't nearly as good as just plain baked w/ lots o' butter. 
I usually put together a plate of raw veggies w/ ranch dip or hummus to snack on while everything is cooking.  And most years I make my Grandma's recipe cranberry/orange relish, which I found out some years ago is pretty much identical to the recipe on the back of the Ocean Spray cranberry bag.  But Grandma's recipe is "special" because I have the recipe card that she wrote in her own hand and mailed to me in the late 60's, just after I started college.  Brings back SUCH wonderful memories!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:09 am »

Val, I have a 'special" recipe like that that I have been searching for that was from an aunt of mine that passed away several years ago. She was a wonderful cook and baker, and always arrived at my mother's or grandmother's house with a car full of baked wonders and casseroles.  This was a casserole made with yellow (crookneck) squash, onions, cheddar cheese with a topping.....I told her how much I liked it and she wrote down the recipe for me.  Unfortunately, I put it in a "safe" place that I can't locate.  I'm going through my cookbooks today and hopefully I will find that special card :)

I have several memories of dishes from my childhood that my mother made, but I waited too late to ask for the recipe.  She's still here (91), but she hasn't cooked for years, and does not remember making some of the items I remember or much less where the recipes are.  She had a chocolate merange pie that was outstanding....the bottom was like fudge it was so rich, and she has no idea where the recipe is!   I've dreamed about that pie for years :(

So gather your recipes while they still remember!

ponymare

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »

Y'all are making me hungry! I'm in for anything sweet potato!

kckc

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:42:28 pm »

if you look on the crockpot thread there was a link attached with some amazing things to do in a crockpot... there's lasagna, baked bread... brownies.. all in a crock pot which might make your sides easier as well as providing the actual serving bowl?  I found an incredible sweet potatoe recipe that is sort of finger food?   haven't tried them yet but...
3 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds) 
1½ cups evaporated milk, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons of butter, cut into pats, plus more for greasing
¼ cup toasted and chopped pecans (or almonds)
*Ingredients totaled to $6.08. Prices based on http://www.peapod.com location in Milwaukee. WI.
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices, using a mandolin or sharp knife. In a bowl, whisk together evaporated milk with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with ½ cup milk mixture. Layer half of the potatoes into the greased skillet and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Layer the rest of the potatoes over the cheese. Pour the remaining 1 cup of evaporated milk over the potatoes and top with the rest of the cheese.
Dot the top of the gratin with the pats of butter and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Uncover the gratin and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender and cheese is golden brown. Cool the gratin on a wire rack for 5 minutes and sprinkle with pecans before serving.

and I saw this recipe...sounds good
Crispy Delicata Rings
•   2 Delicata squash
•   salt
•   olive oil
•   1 lime
1.   Slice the ends off of the squash. Slice into 1/2" rings and remove the seeds with a spoon. Reserve the seeds for another use or roast them with some cayenne pepper, salt, and cumin and sprinkle over the finished dish.
2.   Lightly salt the squash and let sit for 30 minutes. Completely dry off with paper towels, removing the salt. Heat enough oil to coat a saute pan over medium high heat. Lightly salt the squash rings with fresh salt and add them to the pan. They should sizzle the moment they hit the pan. Don't crowd them or they'll steam more than they'll brown. Saute until lightly browned (about 2 minutes per side).
3.   Remove to a plate and grate lime peel over them and squeeze lime juice on them. I used the juice and zest from 1/2 lime for each Delicata.
4.   Top with the Currant, Fennel and Apple Relish and serve warm. Optional: top with spiced roasted squash seeds.
Currant, Fennel and Apple Relish
•   1/2cup dried currants
•   1/2 crisp apple, peeled, seeded, very small dice (I used Pink Lady)
•   1 fennel bulb, outer layer removed, very small dice
•   1cup apple cider
•   1tablespoon Calvados
1.   Combine all ingredients in a small pot and simmer over medium low heat until the cider is reduced by half. Strain and sprinkle over the Crispy Delicata Rings.
NC

caglover

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:39 am »

Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients
•   8 ounces elbow macaroni
•   3 tablespoons unsalted butter
•   3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•   1 tablespoon ground (powdered) mustard*
•   1 teaspoon smoked paprika**
•   1/2 cup onion, diced small
•   3 cups whole milk
•   1 large egg
•   12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
•   1 teaspoon kosher salt
•   1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
•   3 tablespoons butter
•   1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Instructions
1.   Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2.   Place dry pasta in a 4-quart pot and barely cover with cold water. Bring just to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, then test for doneness. You’re looking for al dente, that is the noodles should put up some resistance to the tooth but not so much that it gums up in your back teeth. Drain pasta in a colander but do not rinse.
3.   Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 3-quart saucier or saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until the mixture is pale blond, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, paprika and onion and cook another minute. Whisk in the milk and cook over medium-high heat, whisking often for 7 to 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
4.   Lightly beat the egg in a small bowl then drizzle in about half a cup of the milk mixture, whisking constantly. Then, whisk the egg mixture into to the milk mixture. (This common maneuver called “tempering” prevents curdling of the egg by slowly increasing their temperature. Skip this and you’ll be making scrambled eggs.) Stir in the cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Fold in the macaroni then move to a 4-quart casserole or soufflé dish.
5.   Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, then toss the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and distribute evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, cool for 5 minutes, then serve to a grateful world.

Here's one I made this year that went over big!

Leek Bread Pudding

Serves 12 (as a side)
•   2 cups 1/2-inch thick sliced leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and rinsed
•   4 tablespoons unsalted butter
•   12 cups 1-inch cubed crustless brioche or Pullman loaf
•   1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
•   1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
•   3 large eggs
•   3 cups whole milk
•   3 cups heavy cream
•   Kosher salt
•   Freshly ground black pepper
•   Freshly grated nutmeg
•   1 cup shredded Comte or Emmenthaler cheese
1.   Place a medium sauté pan over medium heat, drain excess water from leeks, and add to pan. Season with salt, and sauté until leeks begin to soften, about 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low. (They'll release liquid as they cook.) Stir in butter. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are very soft, about 30 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
2.   Heat oven to 350° F. While leeks are cooking, spread bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until dry and pale gold, about 20 minutes, turning pan about halfway through. Transfer to a large bowl, leaving the oven on.
3.   Add leeks, chives, and thyme to the bowl of bread; toss well. In another large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, then whisk in milk, cream, a generous pinch of salt, pepper to taste, and a pinch of nutmeg.
4.   Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheese in bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Spread 1/2 of bread mixture in pan, and sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese. Spread remaining bread mixture in pan, and sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese. Pour in enough milk mixture to cover bread, and gently press on bread so milk soaks in. Let rest 15 minutes.
5.   Add remaining milk mixture, letting some bread cubes protrude. Sprinkle with salt and remaining cheese. Bake until pudding is set and top is brown and bubbling, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 07:48:04 am »

TY for sharing that mac & cheese recipe--that sounds like exactly what I've been looking for.  I saw Leah Chase make baked mac & cheese on a cooking show many years ago--pre-Katrina--and have been hungry for something like it ever since.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Laurie

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:11 am »

Yes....thanks for the mac and cheese recipe :D I will save it and try to make it next family gathering. The kids always love it and I have never made it  -- other than the Kraft kind in the box. Now I hate to admit this.......but for Thanksgiving, I ended up buying some frozen mac and cheese at the grocery..they had a big selection of frozen side dishes (mac and cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, etc) ......well, I  popped that frozen mac and cheese into one of my pans, covered it with more cheese and baked it.. ;D

Since I am on a low carb diet and wasn't going to eat any I decided....what the heck?  Anyway, the kids ate it up and said it was good....no left overs anyway ;D

Next year, I will make your recipe and wow them.

Laurie

Pages: [1]   Go Up