Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ISO crockpot recipes  (Read 930 times)

oncidium

Re: ISO crockpot recipes
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 09:34:19 am »

This group as in . . . . yes or no on alcohol?

No I am not an alcoholic.  I like to eat and cook however, and I like to feed people and other creatures.  I like to please others more than myself. 

The more you cook at home the healthier it is.  Less expensive too.

Anything I have spoken about, I can give details.  Yes, I am all about the details.  Sigh, gift or curse.  You choose.

Wish I had good gaiting riding people next door. 

O

What I lack in good decisions, I make up for with inappropriate behavior.

oncidium

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

Ok, here is the whiskey mix.  I would not substitute, as in do your own thing, and get cheap, I have made some suggestions.  Will not taste very good.  You can do the math and figure out what size qty you want to mix up.  I usually double or triple it.  Like 1 c rum, ½ c cognac, ½ bourbon, you get the picture, or rather the math.  Depends on the container and the glass mason jars are perfect for this.  I use a piece of plastic then then seal then the screw lid.  Store room temp. 

½ Dark Rum Mount Gay, but you can sub a very quality dark rum

¼ Cognac Remy Martin Grand Cru VSOP, but you can sub Courvoisier VSOP

¼ Maker's Mark Bourbon, no subs.  Maybe Gentleman Jack.  Uh oh, taste test is in order on which two bourbons suite the best. 

Be responsible for your own actions and own-up to your own creation.  Enjoy. 

O

What I lack in good decisions, I make up for with inappropriate behavior.

GloriousJourney

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »

Me too. Although not a huge whiskey person, I do like a good dark rum, or Kahlua. LOVE good eggnog, hate the crap in the store...
Lesley in Jupiter

kckc

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »

Onci - where is the custard part of the recipe?
NC

oncidium

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 07:00:07 am »

Custard

1 gallon milk (150-155 degrees)
10 eggs - beaten well
pinch of salt
1 ½ c sugar - add to eggs and beat well.

Add egg and sugar mixture, 1 cup at a time to scalded milk gradually, until all milk has been added to the egg sugar mix.  Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until done.  Spoon comes clear, almost to 185 degrees.

Cool, stir in 3-4  T vanilla, or more to your taste.  Also it depends GREATLY on your quality of vanilla.

Ok, this is a 1963 recipe.  Here is the modern.  Put eggs and sugar in a blender or food processor and process until very smooth.  You can strain the egg mix if you want.  Add hot milk slowly.  You only have to temper the egg/sugar mix with the hot milk.  Then you can add milk faster or add the egg/sugar mix to the hot milk on the stove if it wouldn't all fit in your processor.  The point is the smoothness of the eggs.  In the end of making it, I do strain it. Use medium, or large eggs.  Many times I mix the eggs, sugar, and enough milk and place in the pan and then heat up from them being cold.  Works fine.  And it is a nice short cut.  But the correct way is to temper the eggs.  Also you can cut some of the sugar, I think I do ¾-1 cup sugar.  After it is cooked, and cooled a bit you can add more sugar.  ,

The original recipe calls for 12T vanilla.  My first batch was TERRIBLE, and I went through 2 bottles of vanilla $$$.  Then I did some thinking, and she more than  likely used vanilla with no alcohol, and it was imitation vanilla I am sure.  1-2 T of a very good vanilla is all ya need.  Remember this is a very old recipe they liked things really sweet back then.  When they were on farms there were always milk, eggs, and some sugar, and this is probably how this came to light.  I have made many a custards with the same ingredients.  Like Creme breulee.  Same thing, just cooked in the oven.

Store in the rinsed out plastic milk jug.  Drink it warm from the pan whatever won't fit in the jug, or store in another container.  May have to shake jug before serving. 

You can use any milk.  Whole, skim, or a mix.  I have used ½ n ½ and whole, and skim.  It will taste different if you use all skim.

Here is a quick variation I have noted on my card I must have done.  Use cooking method above.

1 qt ½ ½
½ c sugar
3 large eggs
2 T vanilla
dash of salt

Kahlua is really GREAT in this.  Also instant coffee.  Make sure it is brought to temp.

I have some cream so I am going to make some of this today.  Will cut it with skim milk, which is all the milk we have now.  Edited to add, my vanilla was I guess a bit cheap so added to the qt amount, about 3T of vanilla.  This is a taste and add more if needed type recipe. Please add more by all means if it needs it.

O, I am shy posting this.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:38:25 am by Oncidium »

GloriousJourney

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:13:52 am »

As soon as I am feeling better, I will be off to the store for the milk (don't typically drink it these days). Always have the rest of the ingredients in the house. Sounds positively yummy, can't wait!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe, you're wonderful!!
Lesley in Jupiter

kckc

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 07:30:10 am »

wonder if it would work with cashew milk... loving that stuff but I think the fat content is different than real milk.   Thanks for the receipt Onci !
NC

melissah

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 08:25:17 am »

I love cooking in my Dutch Oven....what's the difference between that and crock pot? My family HATES anything to do with crock pot cooking. Don't know why.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

oncidium

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 08:40:34 am »

There is NO difference.

Maybe it is the cooking technique or the ingredients?

Some stuff I cook on the stove, oven or crock pot.  Depends on my day and how much time I have.  I adjust the cooking time.  For the crockpot sometimes I put stuff I have already cooked, and frozen, into the crock pot to thaw and cook.  Works.

O

kckc

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 08:46:20 am »

I went to the address shown in an earlier post for crockpot recipes and darn.. brownies, bread, ..... I have copied several for use.  They are different than I ever thought of crockpot recipes so maybe your family has only had the usual type of crockpot food?
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 09:57:10 am »

MUKKED APPLE CIDER
cook time 2 1/2 to 3 hrs on high
2 qrts bottled apple cider or juice (not unfiltered)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 square (8 inches)  double thick cheese cloth
8 Allspice berries
4 cinnamon sticks broken in half
12 whole cloves
1 large orange
additional cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Combine apple cider and brown sugar in crock pot

2. rinse cheesecloth and squeeze out water.  Wrap allspice berries and cinnamon sticks in cloth and tie with cotton string or a strip of cheesecloth.

3. stick cloves randomly into orange, cut orange into quarters.  Place the spice bag and orange quarters into cidr.  cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.

4 once cooked turn to LOW to keep cider warm up to 3 more hrs.  Remove and discard spice bag and orange before serving.  serves about 10

Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 10:06:21 am »

GINGERBREAD
Cook Time 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hr on HIGH
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup light molasses
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1.2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
Whipped cream (optional)

1. Coat 4 1/2 quart crock Pot with butter or non stick spray.  Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl.  Add egg, molasses, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.  Stir in hot water and mix well.  Pour batter into crock pot.

2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hrs.  Done hen a toothpick comes out clean.  serve warn with whipped cream or ice cream

kckc

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »

THANKS !
NC

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 07:37:48 pm »

you are welcome.  and It should be MULLED Cider.  Sometimes my fingers don't work so good anymore

Walkin45

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 11:20:13 pm »

A little more mud and it could be mucked!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up