Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ISO crockpot recipes  (Read 925 times)

kckc

ISO crockpot recipes
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:34 am »

Ok, going to a crockpot pot luck thanksgiving and need some tried/true and e.a.s.y  crockpot recipes.    Would love if one was dessert recipe?  Anyone?  Thanks !! KC
oh, the acorn squash recipe just added sounds incredible
NC

oncidium

Re: ISO crockpot recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:14:36 pm »

Now - you know - you can cook whatever in the oven or stove top, and then place in the crock pot and nobody will be any the wiser.  😏

BBQ meatballs.  There is a reciepe I use from The Southern Living Cookbook.  We call them bbq beef balls.  Yum.  And, no, a bottled jar is not what is used.  These are sautéed, and then the sauce is made and dumped on them, and then bake them or crock pot them.  BBQ beef balls usually go over well at a big holiday party.  Everybody loves beef balls.  They are easy to recognize, and diehard fans will love the fresh made balls.  They can tell the difference!

Does it have to be a hot dish? 

A very from scratch banana pudding also goes well.  I use Bananas 99 or Banana Liqueur just for flavoring, like 1-2 T only.  I tend to cut up bananas on the diagonal and in ½ pieces.  I pick just the right ripeness of banana.  When they ripen just perfect put in fridge so they stay that way.

Or Lemon Curd pie, with a gramham cracker crust whipped cream on top.  You can do those as mini's, also as mini's you can do baby cheesecakes with cherry or a VERY good strawberry jam.

Or how about crepes with choco in them.  Or crepes, and banana foster.  Or crepes and orange and then flambé them!

I guess one has to know, how gourmet do ya wanna go?

How about an eggnog of sorts?  One can be child friendly, the other is add your own whiskey to the nog, I take it a la carte in a big canning jar adults add what they want.  I have a combonation of alcohol which I got from Martha Stewart, yeah whatever, I like her, and it is the PERFECT combo for the whisky for egg nog.  I use a cooked recipe for my "nog" which is pretty basic and very good.

🍲🍴🍷🍪🍤🍝🍜🍗🍇🌽🍵

O

Strong minds discuss ideas,
Average minds discuss events,
Weak minds discuss people.

Everyone thinks I’m psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the closet.

Either my cooking has improved, or my family’s immune systems have strengthened.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »

Hey girl... thanks for the ideas !    but seriously... simple... simple... simple...  :-)   I want the beef balls recipe... and the crepes !   I would love to take a hot toddy but I hate egg nog... guess I could make it for others  :-)  Send it on, send it on...  :-)  Thanks.
NC

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:22:26 pm »

Not everything I cook I like to eat.  BUT, I cook it anyways.

Not beef balls, BBQ beef balls.  There.is. a difference. 

The egg nog is my grandmothers, and since she was a member of the WTCU this is "custard" nevertheless very good.  It has eggs, milk, vanilla, dash of salt.  NOTHING ELSE.  I make this for my horse shoer and his family by the gallon around the holidays.  The dog stock loves it too, we do too. 

You could do a Peach Pudding Bake.  This is EASY.  It is a cobbler of sorts.  You can use fresh cherries, or fresh apricots, or fresh peaches.  YUM.  Best with a quality vanilla bean ice cream, which is EASY to do, and you could your own icecream.

You could MAKE your own icecream and serve it with a fresh choco sauce, and or fresh butterscotch/caramel sauce.  mmm.mmm.mmm.  Heck TAKE the ice cream churner with you.  That will get everybody's attention, oh.yeah.baby.  Nothing like fresh choco sauce.  Nor the butter or caramel sauce either.  And they are easy to make.  Easy!  And you will know what ingredients you used. 

For the adventuresome, which is EVERYBODY who comes to my house, I bake garlic, put in butter, parm cheese, salt, pepper if you want a bit, and finely chopped fresh parsley, and serve it with a toasted bread, or a fresh baked bread (can be Rhodes dough, thawed and braided, raised, and baked).  YUM!  I bake more garlic.  I use a toaster oven OUTSIDE on the back porch.   I have baked it so when I was riding in the pasture, and down the road I could smell (yum) 15A or ½ mile away.  ha ha.  This concoction, is soft, and it is a spread, you can roll log wise in a log in plastic wrap and chill, but it is best soft, and you just pull off a piece of bread and slather with the garlic mix stuff in your mouth.  Easy.  Ha ha I use vinyl gloves when squishing out the garlic into the bowl to mix it up.  I have other sinful ideas I done with Rhodes dough.  You know the frozen loaf stuff.  I have mastered orange rolls.  I varied it by adding some choco to it.  YUM!  I like to make these up the night before put in the fridge, and come morning let them rise a bit and come to room temp, bake until they smell awesome.  Easy.  You will never eat a fake orange roll again.  Yum!  You could make those and bake there or take baked.  Guarantee, those will disappear.  Oh, I always put a sign on my food.  So the eater knows what it is.  I want to take home an empty dish.  And usually do.  Although when I was in Seattle living I made the BEST peach pudding bake EVER, and it was very juicy with syrup due to the peaches, and NOBODY would eat it because they "thought" it was nasty.  I forced people to taste, and it magically disappeared.  Wow, driving there with that thing was a night mare.  We laugh about it to this day.  Maybe cobbler is a southern thang?  Dang it is awesome with fresh cherries.  It is fruity on the bottom and kinda cakey on top.  NO SPICES.  The recipe calls for oleo.  How old is that?

Ok, as you can tell husband is in Tucson this week, and I am home alone with the dog stock and the wild stock. 

The crepes are a juilia childs recipe.  The batter is made and has to sit in the fridge for a while.  You can do all kinds of things with a crepe.  Dessert or savory.  They are basically very thin pancakes.  Having dog stock on hand when starting to cook them is a good thing.  Takes a few for the pan to be just right, then it goes fast!  You could do a lemon curd, fold over inside, and chill.  Or, roll like a jelly roll.  These are delicate creatures.  But, very good. 

You have plenty of time to make, taste, and practice what you will be serving.  For an event, you want a tried and true recipe.  I don't know the venue or diners, but you will.  Choose wisely grasshopper. 

O   

What I lack in good decisions, I make up for with inappropriate behavior.

Don’t let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen.

If you don’t start somewhere, you’re gonna go nowhere.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:27:25 pm »

hmmmm... so no recipes?  perhaps you are volunteering to send  food to take with me?  :-)
NC

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:08 am »

Yes!

pm sent

If you want another let me know.

O

If you don't start somewhere you're gonna to go nowhere.

Pasolady

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:28:40 am »

Check out this site called a year of slow cooking recipes for your crock pot.

http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

kckc

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:38 am »

thanks to both ! 
NC

GloriousJourney

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:01 am »

All sounds yummy. I am sitting home sick after coming home from Equine Affaire, and NOW I am drooling over all this talk of great food. Garlic at YARDS away. YUM. And...no vampires will be visiting, either.
Lesley in Jupiter

Linda Y

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 06:39:49 am »

One of my favorites...chicken and dumplings

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup veggie or chicken broth
skinless, boneless chicken tenderloins...a pound more or less
1 roll refrigerator biscuits...like Grands
salt, pepper, or whatever other spices you like.

Crockpot on high (350). put in all ingredients except biscuits. cook for  41/2  hours. Open the biscuits, tear them  to pieces and add to the pot. Cook for another half hour.

Linda Y

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 06:42:14 am »

I would LOVE to have that recipe of the eggnog!!!

kckc

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:37 am »

thanks Linda Y that would be a great idea these folks would enjoy !
NC

oncidium

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 07:35:28 am »

Ya want the CUSTARD? - remember my grandmother was a member if not the president of WTCU.  I think she was president.  So not eggnog, but CUSTARD.  My grandmother was born in 1890. 

Or do you want the whiskey combo that goes with it?  mmmm  Speaking from the gourmet I am, yes, this is the best combo of alcohol.  Martha I am sure didn't come up with it, but one of her minions - like everything else with her - so it is really good.  Seriously I keep it in a sealed canning jar, at room temp.  Martha has a recipe for egg nog, but it is not cooked, mine is.  Raw egg and cooked egg in this has a different taste and texture.  I prefer the custard.  And so do others.  🍸🍹  I don't really like the store stuff.  It tastes greasy, and it coats the mouth in an odd way.  Also, I like nutmeg but not in the amount they use.  Also, no booze in store bought.  The custard also goes in coffee if you choose. 

Or both?

Glory, my garlic isn't "yards" away, it is acres away, and miles away that the scent drifts!  Garlic is so easy to bake.  When it comes out of the oven it is the consistency of peanut butter.  So good.  I also use big fat cloves when I make mashed potatoes.  It flavors the water, and you can squish it in the taters, OR remove and do like I did, squish it out and add parm cheese and butter, mix, and slather on baked potatoes, or bread or meat or breadsticks??  I also like to cook it on the grill.  The optimum thing for me is to cook it outside.  Some don't mind the smell but I prefer it outside to cook.  Smells awesome outside cooking.  I do in a toaster oven.  Jarred garlic - fake imo - is nasty and they used vinegar in it.  ICK.  Way too strong tasting.  And my husband and I can taste it a mile away.  It stays on your palette.  Fresh garlic, doesn't.

O

Baby, it's either laugh or cry and crying takes too much energy. If you can't find humor in the shit life heaps on you, you really will grow miserable.

“Running on only two hours sleep.  I’m either way too happy . . . Or violently homicidal.”

“Either my cooking has improved, or my family’s immune systems have strengthened.”

GloriousJourney

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:33 am »

I wish I lived next door...
Lesley in Jupiter

kckc

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 08:14:03 am »

Onci.... Puhlleeasseee.... you know this group!  The whiskey recipe for sure.... I want that with the custard recipe...   :-)
NC
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up