Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Bridge Canyon at Hodges, AL, October 17 and 18th, 2015  (Read 293 times)

ponymare

Rock Bridge Canyon at Hodges, AL, October 17 and 18th, 2015
« on: October 20, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »

David and I finally made our first trip with horses in the trailer!  Yep, we're getting the new car smell out of it now alright, haha!  Gabe wasn't too sure about the new digs - had to get the pointer stick and tap, tap, tap, to get him to load.  But after his last eye infection in his only remaining eye and another trip to State, I can understand his distrust.  It didn't take too much urging, though, before he bounded up and into his new "home."  It's the same general configuration as our old trailer, only with padded dividers, so hopefully, it wasn't much of an adjustment. Sunny hopped in like "what's the fuss?"  They promptly christened it with poo, but thankfully, spared us from pee.  Fairly certain that won't last. This trip is only a little over an hour for us, so didn't really test their restraint too much. OF COURSE, we loitered outside of the trailer for awhile to encourage pottying outside, but they were just snickering quietly and planning their takedown. Or takeover... or whatever. Plop, plop. :-\

Saturday was a GORGEOUS day, although quite windy.  Started out in low forties and probably got up to high sixties or maybe even seventy.  David had worked the night shift Thursday night and then came home and went straight to loading the trailer so I let him sleep in a bit while I fed.  He said he now understands why our friend with a nice bed sleeps later than everyone else we ride with lol!  It's much easier to roll out of a cold cot than a toasty mattress. ;D

Since we got a little later start, the shuttles to the canyon were all filled and David really didn't want to have to rush to catch a ride, so we decided to ride from camp.  There's nothing wrong with riding from camp, but it's just along some gravel roads for a couple of miles maybe (I'm just guessing), when you could be riding through the woods immediately.  And we hadn't ridden our boys in ...ahem, a while. So it would have been better to either be camped in the canyon (which has 4 camp sites and probably stays booked well in advance) or to have taken the shuttle.  In the past, we actually allowed the shuttle driver to use our trailer and drop it back at our campsite and this worked out well.  Well, David actually drove it to one of the drop off points and they drove it back.  So, we've established that's what we should have done, but didn't.  When we got to the main trails we then had to decide how far we wanted to go, since the boys hadn't been ridden in awhile.  David thought if we moseyed we could make it to Sand Canyon, which is amazing, so we decided to try it.  It's a pretty rigorous trail, but going the loop in one direction is easier because it has a steeper hill that's better to go down and then a  more gradual one to climb up on the way out.  Made it there fine.  Gabe was leaving Sunny in the dust for most of the trip into Sand Canyon, and we stopped to let them rest pretty frequently.  We stopped to rest in Sand Canyon, as there is a great big rock for me to climb up on to get back on Sunny (I always have to plan my stops with an eye to re-boarding!). Decided it was time to go back and took the short cut orange trail on the way back. Finally had to put Sunny in the lead because Gabe started being pokey.   I'm really proud of Sunny for stepping up to the plate because that isn't his comfort zone (or mine).  Gabe did step up his pace when another group of riders rushed down to the trail from the road, but his energy didn't last long.  He was so tired that he napped in his stall while we cooked our dinner over the campfire.  He was reclining and his nose was resting on the ground and David said he does that in the pasture all the time and that he even hears him snoring when he comes up to the pasture at night!  David talked about saddling up for a short ride around the camp Sunday but we decided to drive up to Mystic Falls instead and let the horses rest.  After that we just got them out and hand grazed them a bit for a treat. We met a group of riders that were from David's hometown and showed them the falls and Rock Bridge and enjoyed visiting with them.  So it was a great little first adventure in the Lakota with the boys.  I have some more pictures on my real camera but haven't had a chance to download them yet, so here are a few taken with my phone.  Hope you enjoy them as much we enjoyed our weekend.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:40:53 pm by ponymare »

ponymare

Re: Rock Bridge Canyon at Hodges, AL, October 17 and 19th, 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:30:53 pm »

A few more pictures of Rock Bridge Canyon...and the boys at camp.

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: Rock Bridge Canyon at Hodges, AL, October 17 and 18th, 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:19 pm »

Looks like a beautiful place to camp and ride. Glad you were able to go. Nice boots on the horses, BTW!

ponymare

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 02:12:34 pm »

Thanks Cyd!  They did great in them, but I'm wondering if they contributed to Gabe's tiredness a little?  They are a bit heavier than just picking up a hoof I would think,and there's some pretty deep sand in that canyon.  David was surprised that there was nothing inside the gaiter when he checked along the ride.  No little pebbles or sand.  Sunny's had a tiny bit of sand in the very bottom of the boot, but not much at all.  I worried a bit about the wet neoprene rubbing, after several creek crossings but didn't seem too bad and it ended up being about a 4 hour ride.  We  had only tested them up to about 2 hours. These are the Easyboot Trails because they sounded like they would be a little more forgiving between trims (or just rasping).

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:29:55 pm by ponymare »

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:28:09 pm »

I guess I'm the only person that hasn't been.  Glad you got to enjoy some beautiful weather.   

ponymare

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »

Awesome riding in the canyon and the camp is clean and well run.  They have muck buckets for each stall and come around each morning to pick up what you've cleaned out of the stalls.   They also furnish manure forks and have nice, long hoses. At the back of the campsites there is a huge round pen. I'm not sure what it's for. David and I walked all the way to the back campsites to look around.  We've only stayed in the main campground one other time (we met Debbie Kirkwood and her Missouri crew there).  The other times we have camped, we have stayed in the Canyon campsites.  A little more remote, but the bathhouse is nice and clean and the stalls up there are nice as well,  Instant access to the trails from there. But we only decided on Tuesday so we were lucky to get a great spot for Friday and Saturday near the bathhouse.  Lot 7 and 8 are nice, because although they are well lighted, they aren't as close to the security lights and you can see the stars better! ;D  They have someone that patrols through there and one night I think even city police came through so I liked that extra feeling of security.  Jeanne takes reservations and runs the office and she is great.  Mike runs it and he is awesome. They are all great folks. 

kckc

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:29 pm »

great pictures - looks like a nice place to ride
NC

ponymare

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:55:21 pm »

Definitely a beautiful ride in any direction!

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:18:31 pm »

Beautiful pictures. So glad you guys are getting to enjoy your trailer
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

ponymare

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:14 pm »

Thanks Claudia! We are trying to enjoy it some before winter! Headed to a park in Arkansas October 30 and 31 and then back to Jamestown in November!

riding the sun

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »

Nice pictures.  Haven't ridden there but would like to after seeing your pics!  Glad you enjoyed yourselves and the trailer!

judy
My favorite trail is the next one

ponymare

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 09:07:53 am »

We really did Judy. Hoping to get in a few more trips before the weather gets ugly. We had a ride planned at Village Creek in AR but the rain closed the trails. Will make try to ride there in early December. Headed to BSF in November for one last look at our property before winter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up