Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Line Disease-What do you all do?  (Read 440 times)

ahmenti

White Line Disease-What do you all do?
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:14 am »

I have a filly that has the beginnings of white line disease.  Farrier said it's not too bad yet, just a few places on two feet.  What has everyone had success with to treat it?  I have never had a horse with this.

Kim

melissah

Re: White Line Disease-What do you all do?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:08:33 am »

Farrier uses Vicks Vapor rub....see here and scroll down to TROPICAL TREATMENTS.

http://www.americanfarriers.com/articles/6128-preventing-and-treating-white-line-disease

Amante had it and it really stopped the progression of it and closed the gap.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

meely3

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:48:29 am »

I had a horse that had it very badly. The farrier used a dremel to open it up and I used iodine on it and rose anti fungal powder in the stall.

ahmenti

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »

Thanks.  Vicks soaked in cotton balls sounds easy.  May have to duct tape it on as this is a yearling that has the beginnings of it.

Kim

wakemom

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

White lightening and white vinegar. Directions for use are on the side of the WL bottle. Costly product but it clears it up fast. Had it one winter right before Gabby was shod. By the next trim it was gone and the separation was trimmed away never to return.
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

MyBoyG

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:33:03 pm »

I've only had to deal with this once so far (May 2014).  Idiot farrier told me to pick out the gunk with a toothpick and flush with peroxide.  I'm glad I did some research, as peroxide actually kills live tissue.  I picked up CleanTrax and after two soakings the white line cleared up completely and its never come back.  t's not cheap, but it kills the fungus in 1 - 2 treatments.  G had it pretty bad, so it was recommended to soak twice, but in most cases it kills with one treatment.  I mixed it in a milk jug and poured it into the hoof soak boots.  30 minutes soak, then wrap the hooves in plastic bags and duct tape to seal in the fumes - let stand another 30 minutes.  Keep a filled hay bag in front of your horse and the time will fly by.  You can then dump the contents of the hoof boots on the wash stall floor or mat where your horse stands the most...an extra layer of fungus protection.

This is the cheapest I found it:

http://www.centaurforge.com/CleanTrax-Hoof-Cleaner-25g/productinfo/10701/

With products like CleanTrax there is no reason to ever allow a farrier to resection the hoof with a dremel tool.  This stuff works up inside the hoof wall to kill the fungus.  The same farrier that recommended peroxide resection the front hoof of another horse at the barn and it took several months for the hoof to grow back.  Needless to say the farrier was fired.  We now have an incredible barefoot trimmer and G's hooves have never been better.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:38:56 pm by MyBoyG »

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

Kellie in OR

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:01:15 am »

White Lightening or Clean Traxx, Follow directions and soak.

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:15 pm »

I fouvht that stuff a long time on.Deuce. I didn't know about all these topicals mentioned...wizh I had. At any rate finally got.rid of it with good barefoot trims. But I'm zure the topicals had I known would have expedited.

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

Feeding corn & muddy footing exacerbates the condition. So don't forget to consider what the cause could have been. This condition happens frequently in IR horses,too.
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

ahmenti

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:11:18 pm »

We don't feed corn so I know that's not it.  Also it's not been very muddy around here but occasions of mud.  She had a quite large pasture so don't think that would be it.  Bought some stuff that was recommended and have been applying it to her hoofs so next trimming we will see if it's helped. 

Kim
Pages: [1]   Go Up