Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of weed is this?  (Read 318 times)

MyBoyG

What kind of weed is this?
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »

Anyine know what thisis?  I'm not very good on weed types.  I found this in G's hay tonight,Mahican hay he was turning his nose up to.  I opened another bale and he went eight for it.  Wondering if this weed is the reason.  I'm thankful he's fussy, cause I know he won't eat anything bad for him.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: What kind of weed is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:14:21 pm »

My guess is dock, but I am having a hard time finding photos of it dried.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex
That is the best it can do, but the drawing at the top is the weed I think you have.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:16:32 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

MyBoyG

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »

Yep, I think that's it!  Thanks Kysa.  I don't see anything about it being toxic though.  It was a really large clump, so maybe he doesn't like the smell or bitterness? 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »

We  get this sometimes in our hay, especially in areas that get wet, then very dry.  This seems to be a weed that survives tough conditions.  I guess I didn't know that you were worried about toxicity.  I could have told you it was fine.  But I don't think most horses like to eat it.  Mine will pull it through the net, then dump it on the ground.  They don't eat it, but they don't turn their nose up at the rest of the hay it touches.  G must be extra picky.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Walkin45

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:03:52 pm »

Dock?

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:04:13 am »

If it was in my hay, it would be dock. It's a nuisance in the hay, but doesn't seem to taint it. The biggest problem is that it's thick and dense and tends to still have moisture when the hay itself is dry enough to bale. We've had hay ruined because it was full of moldy dock.

MyBoyG

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:48:28 pm »

Thanks Cyd, I didn't see or smell mold, but I'm wondering if it was enough for Mr. Fussy's nose.  I do love the fact that he won't eat bad hay, but on the other hand, that was how he ended up colicing in '08 when we went away for a few days.  He refused to eat the hay or very little of it, and ended up with an impaction.  I gave the barn owner a heads up that if he turns his nose up to it, grab another bale and try a new flake and see what he does.  If he continues to refuse what looks like good clean hay, call me.  When it comes to hay, G doesn't waste a scrap  :) The hay so far has been really good, and I didn't see but a couple of sun bleached bales when I went up into the loft.  Hopefully it was one bale.

Pages: [1]   Go Up