verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Waterers revisited....  (Read 778 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Automatic Waterers revisited....
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:53:16 am »

We're finally going to take the plunge and get one. 

Boarded with Nelsons (24" high) and those seemed to work pretty well.  Trav & Quinn wouldn't have any issues with them, Encore and Scout will figure out anything we buy.

Looked at Bar Bar A, installation is a bit easier than the Nelson, and the only non-electric option I believe, although electric doesn't bother me.  We have submersible heaters in the troughs all winter now.

Also looked at Ritchie.  Installation would be WAY easier than the other 2 since they don't require a drain field several feet below the frost line (which is 3' where we are), they only require your supply line be a foot below.  The one we're looking at (the Eco Fount 1), is 20" high and can water up to 30 horses.   It has water in the reservoir all the time, so no learning curve.

Kinda liked the idea of metal, but then metal dents, plastic absorbs.  Not sure that height matters.  We don't have anyone that poops in their water bowls when we trial, and no one has ever gone in a trough.  Quinn is gross when in a stall....but this won't be in a stall.

Once that's done, our NEXT project is feed chutes for the boys.  Tying to trees is not real practical.  John's going to be busy!
Karen

kckc

Re: Automatic Waterers revisited....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:15:27 am »

I'm still loving mine (no electric, no heater) - put in last year - it is the dpwaterer from Colorado.   no freezing and I went with it instead of the bar A because it seemed easier and didn't require extra work to put in a little deeper.  Still keep some 55 gallon barrels of water on hand all winter just in case power/well is off for any length of time.   
Poor John  :-)
NC

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:26:18 am »

I'll have to ask the neighbor what he has for his donkeys. I have cleaned it out & it is easy to do & I don't think there is electric to it.

Raylin

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »

Nelson. Costs more but worth it.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:03:00 pm »

You are going to have to carefully consider how cold it gets in winter. 
Not every year, but I have to be prepared for weather that is 20 to 30 below at times.  The fountain types do not work in my climate even though the companies advertise they do.  I have a few friends that put them in, and have since ripped them out and replaced with the electric heated type.
I had a Ritchie automatic heated watered for 18 years.  It was insulated metal.  It still works great, but the barn with it installed is now rented to a pig farmer.  So I am moving my horses home behind my house.  I bought a new Ritchie waterer, same basic design as the old one, but now they are insulated plastic.  We just installed it this summer, so I don't have a lot to say about the new ones.  We installed it ourselves, so it cannot be too hard.  I have it on a small cement pad and set between two paddocks.  I keep my horses separated into two groups, and both groups can drink from this one waterer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:24:35 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 06:45:30 pm »

kysa - so the hydrant ones don't work in your area?  I was thinking the ones from Colorado would work most places..  Interesting
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »

No, the water can freeze in the bowl in just a minute when it is 20 below zero.  Sometimes the heated ones freeze, or partially freeze.  I had to thaw out my heated waterer twice last winter, and the heaters was working, just could not keep up with the cold wind.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:01 pm »

hmmm... mine drains out about as fast as it comes in but I havent' dealt with your winters...  I figured if it stood up to CO winters I'd definitely be ok here in NC  :-)
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:24:43 pm »

It should be fine in NC.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:13:07 am »

UNLESS you get an arctic blast!  Our tanks almost never freeze, until the year that COLD dipped way down into southern NM and brought 22 below zero, plus a raging snowstorm.  We never went above freezing for over a week, lost running water inside our m/h, and couldn't get our broken lines fixed for almost two weeks, because the right size parts were sold out all over the entire state.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:43:42 am »

I searched some old threads and saw that Kysa had the Ritchie ones, and ordered a Ritchie yesterday.  We got the Eco Fount 1 since all of our horses are turned out together.  It doesn't get as cold here as it does where Kysa lives, but we figured better safe than sorry...and no learning curve for the young horses with this one. 

It should arrive on Monday...then let the mayhem begin!
Karen

gallatingal

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

We just put in a Nelson this year and I LOVE it and the horses LOVE it! Of course I haven't been through a winter yet, it does have a heater. My husband installed it and it was a bit of a bugger to dig the hole etc.
I have not had to scrub the tub at LEAST once a week.  They took right to it. The decision was easy for me because the neighbors sold it to me slightly used. It was too tall for their miniature donkeys (although I really don't think it was).
Life is short, buy the pony!

cruisinlight

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 07:38:10 am »

I boarded my horse at a place that had Ritchie waterers. I love them. There is always clean water, the water doesn't freeze in the winter, and it stays fresh and cool in the summer. Well worth the initial expense of buying and installing them. This is the one thing I would insist on if I had my own place.

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 08:29:55 am »

It arrived yesterday!  And of course it's supposed to rain for the next WEEK!  :-(

Oh well, we have to pick up some other supplies....water supply line, shut offs, hammer drill & mason bit, etc., so this will give us time to gather what we need.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 09:47:59 am »

Well, John dug 5' deep close to the house, but once he got 8' or so from the house and then ran into a bedrock "shelf" exactly 3' down.  He's dug several feet wide and about 6' long and no change.  Our frost line is 3', so we need to get to 4' deep. 

Our solution is going to be to build up the yard the water line runs under (unless someone has another suggestion).  Here's a picture of the site.  The waterer will be installed just to the right of the rope fence on the right side of the picture. 

We have a neighbor with HUGE equipment, but John thinks this is actually a BIG rock shelf rather than a big rock, and unlike much of the rock on the property, it's not shale.  It's HARD.

Ideas?
Karen
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up