verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sliding exterior barn door for run in-shelter  (Read 433 times)

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
sliding exterior barn door for run in-shelter
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

Any advice for building a home-made sliding door to block the wind & snow for a run-in stall? We are just going to install one door on the north side this year. I have a two-stall run-in shelter attached to the barn on the west side. The entrances face north & south. I have a water tank in the space between the stalls where I had a swinging door(now removed). My barn is exterior clad with brown metal pole barn material with tongue-and-groove wood on the bottom half. Our winds come from the west(solid wall on that side of the barn). This is mid-Michigan so we can get lots of snow & wind chills 20-30 below zero sometimes.
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

KysaSD

• Administrator
Re: sliding exterior barn door for run in-shelter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »

I need a photo and or diagram for me to understand all of this.  But I will try to take a photo of the sliding door I have on my horse motel barn that faces north.  Advantage of slider, you don't have to shovel the snowdrift for it to swing out, just maybe a very little bit of snow where the door slides.  Disadvantage, you have to have something that keeps the door flat in the wind, but I do.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Liberty1

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:53:06 pm »

We have sliding doors to the outside from each stall.  The doors with rubber matting that extend an inch or two beyond the bottom of the door seem to have less heaving and dirt accumulation in the winter and spring. 

abbypeaches

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

So far we have the track assembly attached over the doorway that the door will hang from. Projects for my barn get done VERY slowly when my non-horsey husband is involved....
Marilyn and

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:14:35 am »

My sliding doors are finished.  I will take some photos when it is light out. 
You do need good hooks inside and out so the doors can get blown off in high winds, or even just blown out in rgular winds.
I will take photos.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

abbypeaches

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:33:11 am »

It figures that the wrong color of siding(white) was delivered to the local lumber store where my husband placed the order. Had to reorder the brown color to match the rest of the barn. At least we have the right materials to work with now. Just need  to assemble it(after the MSU/Indiana football game,of course). Husband priorities... At least the weather is still good to get this done.
Marilyn and

abbypeaches

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:30 pm »

And the next delay is...the metal side pieces are on back order. Colder weather is coming(I'm in mid-MI). I'd hoped that we could have had this project done by now.
Marilyn and

kckc

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:52:42 pm »

oh wow, can they be installed in the bitter cold?
NC

abbypeaches

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 06:01:30 pm »

Good news! All of the pieces needed finally became available and got assembled! We hung the door on the roller bar Sunday afternoon with the help of the high school neighbor guy. Now all I need to do is install a section of treated wood to extend the bottom of the stall out to where the door will be,attach exterior latches and handle and it will be done!  We are having very unseasonably warm weather this week so I still have time to get the hardware on the door.

Now my 27 year old MFT will have a better place to stay out of the wind & snow this winter. I'll sleep better at night knowing this.
Marilyn and

kckc

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »

Yay Yay Yay for you and your mare !
NC

abbypeaches

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »

I moved Bud( the 27 yo gelding) into the stall with the new sliding door. We have 4" of snow so far(more on the way) and of course the snow is coming from the northeast. The door is doing a great job of keeping it out. Once Bud dries out from his excursion into the arena when it was snowing, I'll blanket him. It's supposed to get down into the 20s here in mid-Michigan. Earlier this week it was in the 50s.  Brrrrrr. Winter weather has arrived!

Marilyn in Mason
Marilyn and
Pages: [1]   Go Up