verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Trail obstacles  (Read 510 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Portable Trail obstacles
« on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »

I need some photos and/or links to directions for constructing some trail obstacles.  Need to be light weight and portable so I can move them around, or take them away.  Simple things for my grandkids and Molly to work on.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
Re: Portable Trail obstacles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:50:10 pm »

I'm frustrated! Years ago we created such an obstacle course, using mostly PVC pipes, tarps and we did build a wooden platform that we put over a pole and called a bridge. And, I at one time had a link to a website that showed how to construct these things. Of course, now I cannot find that link. And we have long ago disassembled the obstacles.

However, using PVC pipe, about 1-1/2" diameter is enough, don't glue anything and you'll be able to knock down and reassemble all the obstacles. The most popular one was made by creating two upright poles about 8' tall with bases so they will stay upright. Then use about a six foot piece to go across the top like a doorway. Drill holes in the top piece and hang a thin sheet of plastic (shower curtain works well). Then, cut strips in the plastic not all the way to the top. You'll end up with a doorway with strips of plastic in the middle that blow with the wind! Pretty good for first groundwork and then riding your horse through. Adjust the size to fit your horses.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

gallatingal

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:33 pm »

You can build a "keyhole" with two plastic barrels and a 2 x4.
We used two  4x4  with christmas tree stands and drilled holes in them to insert dowels. The pool noodles slip on the dowels.
A lead rope from the arena fence to one of the uprights used for the pool noodle obstacle made a rope gate.
a long piece of rope tied around a  piece of firewood makes a good drag.
a small kiddy pool with sand and gravel in the bottom and then add emtpy plastic bottles is good for getting your horse to step into that.
landscape timbers arranged to back through an L and sidepass obstacle
an old  tractor tire rammed full of dirt is a good step up
warning tape tied in strips over the gate into the arena  makes a cool cowboy curtanin
any old tarp to step on, drag from horse. rub on horse.
We have all these in my tiny 60 x100 arena right now and can still work circles around the outside etc.
If you would like pictures of any of this let me know.
Life is short, buy the pony!

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:54 pm »

Yes, Nelda, a picture is worth a thousand words!

My arena when finished will be 60 by 120.  I will have a few heavier more permanent obstacles outside the arena.  But I want some inside that they can work through in winter.  I am hoping to do grandkids riding lessons in the winter, and maybe some training with my own horses.  Savanna is going to learn to pick me up at the mounting block.  Just have never had a  chance to teach her this.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:13:56 pm »

enjoying this post !   I've seen people use pool noodles for jumps/obstacles/etc...   they should be on sale right now since the season is over  :-)
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:39:15 am »

We are heading out camping for tonight and will be back tomorrow. I will get some pictures when I get back.
I found a lot of good ideas on pinterest. Just did a search for horse obstacles. I have a DVD somewhere, I will search for it that uses PVC and buckets from the hardware store filled with sand for the base. Also a good place to look is on the ACHTA website. They have all the obstacles listed with videos. https://www.actha.us/obstacles
Life is short, buy the pony!

kckc

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 07:57:51 am »

camping !!!???  Have a great time !!
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 08:23:04 am »

Sigh, this has been YEARS in the works, and may still be another year.  My husband agreed to a small covered riding arena when we sold a piece of land.  Took 3 years for that contract to be completed.  Signed a contract for a 60x144 hoop building last June.  Finally have the building in place, but no ends.  And the guy took all his equipment away.  I have no idea when I will get ends.  The good news is I can use it as is for saddle fittings in the rain.  But I do wish for ends.  Maybe next year.......

My son's farmers market business means I spend all summer babysitting all 6 grandkids.  I cannot teach any horse skills to one child while I have 5 others in the background.  So, I would like to do this in the winter, and in South Dakota that really means something covered so you avoid a footing of ice.

Anyway, I need simple and lightweight trail obstacles.  I will have some heavier ones like real logs outside that the kids can use spring and fall.

Barb CO

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:05:27 pm »

Barb CO

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »

Myaj

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:36:53 pm »

PVC is your friend.  You can make all kinds of lightweight stuff out of it.  "Car washes" with pool noodles (just make it safe so no one can get caught/tangled).  I built little PVC "trees" with branches, and drilled holes in the end caps and stuffed fake plants in them for leaves, then tied the hands of stuffed animals together with a length of rope, and you have to move the animals from one tree to another.  Stuff like that...

kathypa

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 01:19:02 pm »

My friend is doing an Actha ride and taking her own stuff. I found her a free standing punching bag made by  Everlast. She found a maid vacuum cleaner cover. You could toss hoops at it..not sure what she's doing. If you want a tough obstacle, get a cd radio and a Spook Free DVD. I had to turn it off because my horses were afraid to come up and eat when I had it in the hay shed. They would get over it, but just way too many sounds all at once.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 06:19:47 am »

I have lots of links here, but would still welcome photographs. Any and all ideas are welcome.  The arena is completed.  Now I need to finish the footing.  A little more clay leveled out, then I think just one inch of sand.  Then it will be ready for little girls and ponies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up