Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Goat companions  (Read 990 times)

kckc

Re: Goat companions
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »

ah geez... I knew I shouldn't have watched the video.///////// :o
NC

Sunnytrails

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »

This is great insight I was thinking large breed old does or wether.  I definitely do not want my truck to be a jungle gym or awake to the  pitter patter of hooves on the deck.  I did get some quotes on clearing honeysuckle and shrub growth and may explore beefing up one of the pastures to be goat ready in the spring.  If we were in southern states they have rent a herd too bad that is not the case in the midwest LOL

kckc

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 09:24:10 pm »

oh yeah, wish I'd thought of that business - renting goats.... you don't have that in the Midwest?  looks like a business venture to start !!
NC

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:06 am »

I think I saw the rent-a-goat business on Shark Tank once!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

meely3

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:44:55 pm »

Sheep are nicer than goats. They eat the same things as goats pretty much. They are dumber so they don't spend their days looking for ways to make you crazy, and they come in versions that have hair instead of wool so you don't need them to be shorn. Also they don't pee on themselves. But they both eat what they want to eat, not the stuff you want them to eat.

slicksrmh

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:52 pm »

We have 2 Pygmy goats at the barn. They're a lot of fun. They're cute and they're comical. However, they're smart and they're crafty. If there's a way to get out of a fence, they will.  We have them in their own space with a log cabin and things to play on and with. Nacho is castrated and does not smell like a billy goat would. He's a sweet silly goof ball. Salsa is more on the timid side. Although nacho does tell her what to do.
He knows when you're happy
He knows when you're comfortable
He knows when you're confident
And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

Walkin45

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 09:56:34 am »

Sheep are prone to maggots.

Kellie in OR

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 10:07:06 am »

You guys have been around some bad goats. First off BILLY goats pee on themselves, weathers and does do not. They (weathers and does) do not stink. They smell like a goat like how a dog smells like dog and a horse smells like horse. I have three goats and have had them three years. my horses still have all their mane and tails. MIne have never gotten out of my pasture and they stay in the briar patch with three strands of HOT wire. They have eaten about a 1000 pounds of briars in the last year, in places we can't mow. One of the goats does crawl under the corral panel to go steal horse feed, he's a bit of a PITA that way bit doesn't bother anything else. They are wonderful hiking companions, I even have pack saddle for them. They are really funny and greatly amuse me all the time.

meely3

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:01 pm »

Sheep are prone to maggots.

The hair sheep aren't. Although I like my sheep to be fluffy, they do take a little more care when they have wool.

RackinRocky

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:00 pm »

I was smart and did my research ahead of time. Got two weathers, dehorned and bottle fed. Perfect. No male goat STINK! And no horns to worry about injuring animals or people or get hung up in the fence. Goats are VERY stubborn. (There's a reason for the term "stubborn as a  goat!") They are also very picky, so forget it as far as having them clean up weeds. They need to be fed healthy food, just like horses. I don't care for the pygmies, but I love the Nubians. I would not get any more (one of mine lived for 10 years, the other died of pneumonia at 2 years). They can't eat anything out of the ordinary, as they are extremely sensitive, and develop problems with their digestive tracts, along with, sometimes, Tim's disease, which one of mine also got. That gets expensive! They need yearly vaccines too. A lot of work, and they are too delicate for me, but the Nubians are so sweet!

generallee

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »

just reading this post, really funny on people's perspectives on goats. I have goats on my farm over 15 years now, had up to 50 at one time. Most important is the right fencing, the best fence and we have had many types, raised sheep also, is Red brand goat fence, your posts need to be kept close, 10 ft., goats like to rub up against the fence line, keeps your fence tight. There is no reason for ANYONE to keep a buck for a pet!! NO NO NO!!! They get very aggressive during their rut, a buck is not a pet! Wether's make great compainions, they do NOT need grain, good hay and they are inexpensive. Many weeds are toxic to goats, so you have to know what you have in your fields. Goats need yearly vaccines, CD&T, rabies in some states, they need to be wormed, hooves trimmed, etc. they do need upkeep.I do not keep my goats with my horses, but I have in the past,just at turnout, goats like to browse, like weeds, brambles etc. they will not eat down grass like sheep. They are curious, but make great pets. I have had, LaMancha's ,Alpines, pygmys, pygora's , angora's and now I raise Toggenburgs. Goats have different personalities, like any animal, some are aloof, some are extremely friendly. Anyone who wants more info can email me.

kckc

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 05:57:03 pm »

pictures?  is toggenburg Scottish?
NC

gallatingal

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 06:59:09 am »

So Kellie they will stay in a hot wire??  We had goats years ago, but I am thinking they would be great brush eaters here. The earthship is covered in weeds.
Life is short, buy the pony!

Walkin45

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 07:54:03 am »

Earth ship is cool, and while it has taken me a while , I have incorporated some ideas into my home I'm building.

melissah

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 10:00:59 am »

No kidding about rubbing on the fence. My husband created a "goat keeper outer" for the horse stalls. Today is first run of the test. I keep peeking out to see if  any of them are in with the horses. So far so good. Goats are tricksters. They found an old horse fly mask and they were playing with it, running all around with it on one of their horns, flinging it then going again. They are so fun to watch.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up