Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoof Snowballs  (Read 701 times)

LuvMyBoys

Re: Hoof Snowballs
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:07 am »

My sister's mare has very tall and tight little feet. She can't go without shoes, even one day can cause her much pain as her feet break off. She gets these "Pony Balls" as I call them when talking to Bambi. Hers get super high she has learned to cope with them. I use a claw hammer to get then out, literally hammering then out then using the claw to finish off rim pads help her but do not eliminate them. Pam does nothing to help for longer than 30 or so minutes.

I have to be very diligent on keeping her feet cleaned out. I don't want the "Roany Pony" having sore knees. She is 28 and has dealt with this all her life.

No real advice except keep after them.

craftcorral

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:12 pm »

Hoof snowballs are sooooo frustrating.  Luckily, they seem to clear on their own most of the time because of the slight hill going into my paddock.  It is pretty rare that I have to get the hammer after them.  I have yet to find anything that lasts effectively for more than an hour or so. :-\

kckc

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:22 pm »

hoof boots?  or duct tape (stay off the coronet band)...?
NC

ahmenti

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:39 am »

Usually I notice them on my one horse that I have to keep shoed all year.  But this year, I noticed them on one of my geldings that had his shoes removed.  That was a first!  I guess he had just enough moisture on the bottom of his hooves to get the ice froze under there.  We usually try to knock the hoof balls out from under them but like someone said, they usually come out on their own.

Kim

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »

They normally come out on their own when the temps are warmer, but in the weather we've been having, where it's been -20 to -40 for weeks on end, the colder the weather, the harder it packs in there and makes it more like ice balls, and makes it near impossible to even pick it out!
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up