Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Abscess question  (Read 770 times)

jazzy

Abscess question
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:12 am »

I notice an abscess starting on the coronet band a week ago. Fairer came, told us to soak it in epson salt and wrap with a poultice pad. We were able to soak it that night, but she wouldn't let us wrap it. Friday and Saturday the pus drained out and she was walking fine. Sunday there was a little pocket of pus again. We have only been able to soak it once more. She kicks out every time we try to soak it or wrap it. I am not strong enough to hold her and my husband hurt his right hand and can't hold her. She will let me hose it off to keep it clean and I was able to get a drawing salve on it. The pocket is still there, not draining. Any suggestions?

Walkin45

Re: Abscess question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:11:39 am »

Put a twitch on her

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:20:15 am »

Or tie her leg up while you work on her.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:29 am »

You must soak in warm warm water, and Epsom salts.  I agree put a twitch on her and use it.  Hosing is not going to make it drain.
It has to be soaked the salve used and wrapped and it should be done 2 times a day.

This coming from someone who had a horse with abcesses in THREE feet all at the same time.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

misstux

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:39 pm »

Do you put her foot in the bucket and then add the water slowly while she is eating out of a hay bag?

jazzy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »

We do put her foot in the bucket first before adding the water. Today she let us soak it for 15 minutes. I'm hoping that helps.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:31:42 am »

15 min twice a day should wok make sure the water is WARM.  Not tepid. Make sure you wrap the foot in a diaper and duct tape to protect the salve so it can work.

jazzy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:50 am »

How long does it usually take to drain?

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:36 am »

It depends.  Usually 4 or 5 days has been my experience.  They are not a fun thing to deal with that's for sure.

Pasolady

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 05:44:53 am »

Abcess is on the coronet band I don't wrap.  I do keep a good drawing salve on and wipe and keep it clean using warm water, everyday till it heals and is fully drained.   It is hard to wrap a horses coronary band and keep a bandage on, they seem to walk out of them, me anyway.

If you can get a good soaker boot that fits her it is much easier to soak like that.  My old Paso who was cushings and IR had an abcess come up on the bottom of his foot and using a soaker boot was much easier than a pan.  I could put the boot on, add the warm epsom salt water and while he was eating the foot could soak and not lose any of the solution.

oncidium

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:37:26 am »

Yes.  Twitch.  You do not want to get hurt or have the horse not allow the doctoring. 

If you do not have one, then a STRONG pinch of a human hand will work.  I tend to tell the pincher if there is an issue, pinch hard and hold until the behavior improves.  I usually do the doctoring, so I will say pinch, and the pincher pinches.  You can pinch the nose or the skin on the neck of the horse.  After a bit, the hand pincher will recognize bad behavior and pinch accordingly. 

I have held a foot up, but have had some act out anyway, and yes they can stand and do naughty things on 2 legs.  Twitch is best. 

Scratches are a pain to mess with, and they hurt.  My mare had scratches on her hind legs, and she was not happy about having them messed with.  Abscesses also hurt too. 

After they know about the hand pinch you can use it on other occasions, like maybe when the shoer is out and they are being overly wiggly for no reason.  A finger resting on the nose, mine will behave. 

Hope your horse gets better!

O

"Although our own solar system is believed to support no other life than on Earth, other stars in the galaxy may have hundreds of thousands of habitable worlds. Races on these worlds may have been able to utilize the tremendous amounts of power required to bridge the space between the stars..."  Clyde Tombaugh, January 1957

Power without control is worthless.
~ Acheron

kckc

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:37:46 pm »

I saw the neatest thing...not sure if it works... but a piece of duct tape hanging off the front nose... the horse was paying no attention to anything except the piece of duct tape...
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 04:57:53 am »

Soaker boot makes a lot of sense--sounds like it avoids a lot of stress for horse & owner. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pasolady

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 06:25:07 am »

Another forum board I read showed that duct tape on nose thing and some of the members decided to see if it worked.  Seemed to be a mix of results, some said it worked, others said it made no difference.

Soaker boot makes things soooooo much easier.   I done the buckets and pans for soaking and sometimes he would stand very still, but others he would pick that foot up, stomp it down and over would flop bucket or pan.  Boot didn't matter how much he picked that foot up and put it down, it stayed on and he got the soaking he needed.   :)

jazzy

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:43 am »

Just bought a smoking boot, will let you know how it works and I'm going to try the tape on the nose.  Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up