Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arena fencing  (Read 595 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Arena fencing
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:19 pm »

Assuming I ever get an arena built....I will need fencing around it.  There are a TON of choices out there, and cost will be a factor.  But tell me what you have used, ridden in, liked and disliked for an arena perimeter fence.  I have been leaning toward something like no climb fencing with a top solid board.  But I am willing to consider anything.  And I am willing to think outside the box.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

Re: Arena fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »

arena... bigger than a round pen?   for riding only not turn out? 
I really like the rubber (recycled) rolls/strips - I'm not sure how easy they are to install but if working a new or young horses seems like it would be more forgiving than wood.  but if used for turnout might need a hot top wire or horses would lean over it?  I've seen some that wasn't outrageous price but I'm sure the needed accessories could be pricey.   
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:02:40 pm »

The main purpose of said arena will be to teach my grandkids to ride.  I might let horse hotel customers let a horse have a few minutes of turnout, but this would be supervised, with the owner/transporter watching.  I really cannot imagine using it for any longer times of turnout.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Cassidy

• S.W. Michigan
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »

My arena is approximately 100x200.  I have 4 strands of rope similar to  electricbraid.  I bought it off eBay 4 rolls for $159. with free shipping.   It isn't electified but can be.  The big expense is the wood posts but with this type of fencing the posts don't have to be as close.   Insulators I think we got at tsc. I love my arena and it looks nice too.
Chris, S.W. Michigan

OldnOrnery

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:44 pm »

I'm old school. Tall and solid, 6 foot tall fence railing, too tall for almost all horses to think about challenging.

But to teach tiny kids to ride, maybe not as big as 100 x 200. I learned to sit in a saddle in a round pen. I learned more by being ponied out on the ranch.

The thing is, once you have it, I'd bet you'll find other uses for it. If you're going to grade the area and go to the expense of sinking posts, I'd probably make a large enough arena for the kids to do something in it. Maybe you'll get a live one that loves horses. By the time we were 8 or 9, we enjoyed having a place to make a trail course or to hop over speed bump sized jumps or to set up barrels. The "arena" kept us out of the way of ranch operations. Our ranch horses were so broke that a fence was largely irrelevant, but I've never again encountered horse as well-trained and reliably safe. Therefore, tall and solid. I used 6 x 6 posts, 2 x 6 railings in my round pen.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:59:38 pm »

If you're going to use the arena for turnout of outside horses, err on the side of "more is more".  I've seen horses get wild & crazy in turnout when they've been on a trailer all day.  Better to have an arena that is stout & high enough for that, then will definitely be safe enough for grandkids! 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:05:02 pm »

if you don't want to use panels which you could move or make the arena bigger or smaller -- you'd need to consider how big is too much and how small.     If I ever got enough money to buy panels again I'd go with the safer ones - the one I have has the gap between the joints so I never leave a horse in it or outside of it. 
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:26:10 pm »

Would love panels, but that is out of my budget.  Arena is 60 by 120. 

My initial thought was square wooden posts, 5 foot high no climb fencing, and a solid wooden rail on top. 

kckc

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:54:48 pm »

the price of wood here has skyrocketed, hope your area is cheaper 
NC

My2Morgans

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »

size=12pt][/size]As I type this, I am having the first load of stone delivered for my limestone riding ring. (So excited.. with all the rain we get, love the fact that it can pour like the dickens and the water drains very quickly.)  I went with round 6x6 posts and 3 rail 2x12 treated board fence. I will coat it with a good stain, and the hotwire will run along the outside because it will be inserted into part of one of the pastures. 120x75.  The only reason I went with board and not hot wire or something that looks like hotwire is my horses know and respect it.. they really wont want to be next to it doing any sort of rail work. :)
ps.. how exciting for you!!!
Sheri
Sheri,  NE Ohio. 1 Morgan (RIP Gambler and GI), 1 RMH, 1 OTTB and 1 spoiled rotten Shetland pony!

tma

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »

For whatever it's worth, my arena is 5' tall, 4 rail portable pipe panels;  24' panels on the straight sides, and 12' panels to round the ends.  Love having little to no maintenance the past 28 years since we put it up, after decades of wood fencing (the rails were 2"x 6" x 12' ) with constant repairs, replacements, painting, splinters etc.  Probably a bit higher on initial cost on the pipe, but as I recall, not THAT much different from doing it in wood at that time.

kckc

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 08:24:54 am »

portable pipe?  how does it connect?  picture please  :-)
NC

Walkin45

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »

I imagine the cost of pipe now is astronomical.  I have always fancied it though.  It is plentiful out west where used pipeline equipment is plentiful and cheaper.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »

Well, I have't gotten any ideas that seem better than my own original.  Yeah, I would love pipe panels, but that would really break the bank.  I think wooden posts, with a 2x12 along the bottom.  I need to keep the arena dirt/sand mix contained.  Then 5 feet of no climb woven wire.  2x6 rail on top all the way around, and perhaps a 2x4 rail in the middle.
Whenever this is finished, I will post photos.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »

Sounds like a great mix of affordable, safe and functional!  Love the idea of the 2x12 along the bottom!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1]   Go Up