Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Waterers  (Read 746 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Automatic Waterers
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »

Dreaming a little here....anyone have one?  Did you install yourself?  Would you buy the same one again?

We boarded at a barn a couple years ago (for several years) that had them, and I thought they were the coolest thing.  The one in the boys' pasture seemed to work flawlessly for the 4 or so years I boarded there.  Pretty sure theirs was a Nelson. 
Karen

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
Re: Automatic Waterers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »

The neighbor with the donkeys has one & he likes his, it's a Nelson one. I have been on the fence on them, I have stories where the horses would not drink from them, also can't monitor how much they drink.

But I think they would be nice to have some days when the darn hose is frozen cause it didn't get drained completely.

Raylin

G84me

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:37:48 pm »

Karen,
We've never bought one because we board.  Two years ago we boarded @ a place that had them in the paddocks.  They were always so dirty and scummy - we never even once saw our horses drink from them. (guess you have to clean them out once in a while)duh  We hung water buckets inside the paddock on the fences  -  horses got two buckets for each one.  Lugging the buckets was a chore, but the waterers were supposed to be done by the caretakers, but never were.....another reason we left there.  Now we have the 100 gallon tanks outside with the heaters. 
Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »

If you have the ways and means, Yes!  I do believe the Nelson's have water monitors in them.  Lots of people I know with horses have the Ritchie with the ball. 
If you get the Nelosn put on like a 4 ft concrete pipe.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:37:46 pm »

Karen,
My winter place for horses has always been determined by water.  And this year, I moved two home and that means I am carting water.  I plan on having all the horses here next winter but that is 100% dependent on having an automatic heated waterer.  I have 5 down the road a mile at a different piece of property we own.  and it has a waterer like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Brower-MK32E-Insulated-Electric-Livestock/dp/B008DO2XAA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_1
And yes, I installed it myself, but the water pipes and electricity were already there.  I just replaced the previous one that quit working.

So, I plan to do some fencing, put in two portable runins, and dig in a water line.  I will put in another Brower waterer just as pictured.  And then I will keep all my horses on the property behind my house.

Today, I carried water to Molly and Savanna.  They have a 150 gallon stock tank with a heater.  I put three 40 gallon barrels in the skidsteer bucket and filled with 30-32 gallons of water each.  I drove very slowly and carefully to the water tank.  I raised the bucket  so all i had to do was tip the barrels flat and all the water went into the tank.  It wasn't perfect, but I got most of the water in the tank, and that will keep those two for a week.  Not liking the cold weather at all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:13:06 pm by KysaSD »
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »

I found some 50 gallon barrels with screw on lids and I plan on putting a nozzle/faucet in the bottom to be able to fill up and then carry to water some new trees I've planted and/or the wild dogs' water.   The sloshing around of the water and it rocking the barrels is a pain.   At the barn I have to replace the below ground hydrant which really is quite wonderful because it drains back into the ground so there's no freezing or anything.   I hope to run additional water lines and put in another hydrant.   so darned handy.
NC

Winona

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »

Don't mean to steal the thread, but I have had similar questions. Life would be easier to not have to change buckets twice a day. But, I don't feel comfortable with a large water tank. Doesn't the water get yucky? I imagine stuff blowing into it, them dropping bits of hay into it, insects etc. also, when they use grazing muzzles they dunk them in water and bits of grass and weeds go into the water.

With the automatic waterers, would they freeze? We get below zero a lot.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »

Winona, I seriously doubt you get colder than I do.  We are headed to -10 tonight.  That is all too common in December and January. 
The automatic heated one that I linked to works very well.  The current one has been in place 5 or 6 years.  The previous one of same brand had lasted about 30 years.  I turn the heater on in the winter, but off as soon as we are past freezing in the spring.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Simple Gifts

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »

We don't get the horribly cold winters in VA.  We do get some cold.  I debated begging hubby for some automatic waterers, but there were some reasons I decided against it.  My horses slobber all kinds of mess into their water and it looked to me like automatic waterers are basically like a toilet where the tank workings and the bowl are all-in-one.  As Don Aslett says, I ran my mental washrag over that.  It didn't look easy to de-scum.  Hubby ended up digging a drain in the barn where I could dump water buckets right next to where they sit.  It is a deep hole filled with road gravel.  I still have to use a hose to rinse and refill, but the buckets are easy to clean and easy to replace if one breaks.  I got a hose that is just long enough for the task so it is easy to drain.

I use heated buckets that are the size of muck tubs in the winter.  So power is needed for the buckets, but I already had power at the barn.  I made marks in the buckets to show the water level so I can keep track of how much each horse drinks.  One is very alpha over the other, so they have to be separate at the barn to ensure they are getting the right amount of hay.  Because they are separate, I can also keep an eye on how much water each is drinking.
Laurie, Virginia, QH and TWH

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:10 am »

I have 4 Nelson waterers, 3 in the stalls and one just outside the barn. I've been pretty happy with them. No carrying water, no frozen water in the winter (even during a month of near-zero or below-zero temps) . I don't know if I'd do it again, simply because they're a 'witch' to install (augering a 7' hole is not a simple task). They're a little harder on the cleaning than I anticipated. I've also had some difficulties getting some of them adjusted so that they will fill with decent pressure but then also cut off completely when the bowl is full (rather than continually drip). I have heard the "can't see how much they're drinking" argument against auto waterers, but then I've also heard "if you don't know if your horse is drinking and if it's enough, you're not paying close enough attention". *shrug* The last time I looked, the Nelson water monitors tell you how long (in time) the water to the bowl has run, not how many gallons.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

Whoaboy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

I have the Baylen Country (sp?) cattle drinkers that Farm and Fleet sells. They were installed inside my barn using one drinker between 2 stalls. Each horse has access to one side of it in their stall. They are heated in the winter time so the water doesn't freeze and I never have to fill buckets as they of couse refill themselves. They are affordable and so far, they have lasted quite a few years. I clean them out once or twice a year by shutting off the water, bailing them out, cleaning them with some vingar and elbow grease, rinse and bail out again,  turn the water back on and its all good. I wish they were easier to clean but the horses drink fine from them.

Hatcherdm

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »

We just movedl to a new farm that has Nelson watered, and I love them. My only problem is
 My Icelandic colt Mr Ed likes to play with the outer ring and tries to pull it off. They are very easy to clean and see them all drinking from them. I monitor their hydration status by looking at the manure,
 And seems they are all doing well...also love that they automatically warm the water so don't have to worry about freezing.
Diane from New Freedom, Pa
home to 4 icelandics and 1 TWH

dawn_a

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:58 pm »

I've watched over a few barns with and without auto-waterers.  I've decided that when we have our own farm, the first thing I'm going to install are insulated Nelson waterers  ;).  They are really low maintanance, the horses drink just fine out of them, and they rarely get scummy.  They're easy to clean out when they do need to be cleaned.  They've also never had any problems with freezing, even in temps down to something like -25 to -30 F.  OH, and one of the horses at that farm is THE BIGGEST trouble maker I've ever known (he is aptly named Loki).  He's found a way to damage almost every fence, gate, feed bin and such on the farm.  But even he can't find a way to damage that thing!

I've toted water for 6 horses at one farm, and boarded at another "self care" barn where I had to maintain water buckets and one big waterer in the pasture.  I have to say that the ease of the Nelson waterers makes a DRAMATIC difference in work load.  I'm pretty picky about horses having access to fresh, clean water, and the Nelson waterers make it truly a no-brainer.  I'll happily pay the big bucks to have a few installed instead of lugging buckets, creating skating rinks from tossing water, breaking ice and worrying about the temp of the water all winter long LOL!

Dawn
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:01:10 pm by dawn_a »

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 06:01:11 pm »

Nelson waterers, are great by me I have used them for 12yrs. Out in pastures and in stall. With little to no problems . The more the horses use them the better they stay working. What I mean by this in the summer I don't keep anyone in stalls. So the waterers weren't getting use. I hand to blow the plastic line out from spiders getting in them. Also you can put a water gauge on them if need to know how much one horse is drinking. My horses love them. Lol

cruisinlight

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:25 am »

I boarded at a barn that had Ritchie automatic waterers in the pastures. They were wonderful. The water was always there, warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. Never froze, never went dry. Somebody checked them regularly, cleaned them out a little if necessary, but the 4 or 5 horses drinking out of them in each pasture were very happy.

If I had my own barn,  the one thing I would insist on investing in would be automatic waterers.  I don't know the other brands, so I don't know how to compare them. The Ritchie were great. Sturdy, well-designed, never had an issue that I know of.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up