verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: And this is why I love CRS! Deformed horse or chiro needed? ADDED BEFORE/AFTER  (Read 1081 times)

melissah

Got a weird one for you.

We have been in contact with CRS for Storm, my husband's TWH. I measured him, sent in those measurements with pictures etc. The weird thing is Sarah said she wanted a couple more pictures. She asked if David would slide to his left a lot and have to adjust himself or if he got sore hips sometimes, knee's etc. I was surprised and said yes! Turns out she thinks his rib cage is bigger on his right side then left (the horse). That's why David would always slide left. Before we go any further she said to have a chiropractor come out and check him. She has seen this before and usually a design flaw of the animal. Kind of like one foot being bigger or a lopsided breast (you know girls.) She said to take a kitchen towel and fold it to the size of an envelope and stick it between the pad and saddle bars and see if it makes a difference. Have not done this yet as we have not ridden in a while. So a makeshift shim. So she may have to make a custom pad with shims too. I have a chiro coming out tomorrow late afternoon to check him. Other than that strange anomaly he still gaits like a dream....just is lopsided. Interesting.  So before we go further with his CRS....we will try a chiro first.

And that most laughable thing about this...we tease the heck out of David and his "deformed" horse. Whenever anyone see's Storm gait, his coloring and his now new "in-your-pocket" personality they gush on and on about him. Even the farrier said he had the best feet he's worked on in a long time and Hope the trainer said he was her fastest horse she ever had in training as far as a rack! My MFT's joke was she was a "TWH Reject" as coined by a certain someone.  ;D I guess the breeding between the breeds. So now Hannah and I have fun with Storm and his "defect" lol

Anyone ever have a horse like this or seen someone else's?

Here are a couple of pictures.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:17:53 pm by melissah »
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

OldnOrnery

Maybe both! Lots of possibilities. Is it the angle or does it look like it starts up at the withers? I can't see forward because of the mane.

Storm is a treasure, lopsided or not.

Maybe someone rode him in a bad-fitting saddle.  Atrophy of the back muscles is pretty common from saddle fit problems.

You know how often people who aren't teenagers any more get lopsided? I mean some people ride really crooked, one shoulder dropped, leaning off to one side. Your trainer can check that out for you. Menfolk often sit back on their pockets and sometimes curve their lower spine as they tuck under. It's really hard to sit with your weight even in that posture. Try it. Your seat bones aren't in place to be a guide.

I'd definitely have the chiro come and look at Storm, too.

Lopsided often means an injury. It could be a healed injury, but an injury can leave you or your horse uneven. Sometimes it's uneven muscling because of atrophy on one side. Sometimes there's nerve damage from an injury. It's not the end, just the kind of thing you want to understand.

kckc

remember I kept saying David looked like he was riding one leg longer than the other?  maybe he was leaning more one way than the other?   be interested to see what the chiro says
NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch

OnO, I thought the same thing, that he looked as though the spine was curved sort of from the top left across to the right, then down to bottom left again, BUT, I think it's just an illusion.  I covered (with my fingers) the left shoulder blade, and it looks straight, so I think it is just that sun shining on the shoulder blade that is making it looked curved up there.  Try it, and you may see the difference too.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

melissah

UPDATE!

Had the chiropractor out yesterday to check Storm. I really didn't get a lot of answers from him (like you would from a vet) but he did "re-align" him. He had a sore spot on his right side neck that he said was built up with lactic acid. He used a lot of high tech stuff and he use this contraption that sent magnetic pulses in...and some other stuff. It's all greek to me. He explained  in layman's terms what he was doing using the analogy of tearing a house down completely and rebuilding. Starting with some gadget that he used to "poke" at Storm....from neck..down to side to butt...then another gadget...then a magnetic pulse do-hickey.  Basically he explained that he "re-wired" Storm. BUT as far as I see it a chiropractor is an overpriced masseuse. No weight on his back for 3 days....I will also take pictures like those above today and over the next few days then resend to sarah at CRS. He is expecting an 80% improvement in just working with him yesterday. If he doesn't improve call a vet. The hard thing is the only improvement we will be looking for is a change in his right side. This horse is not in pain, is spunky as can be, gaits like a dream and is not off in any way, shape or form so pictures from the top are the only way of telling as well as husband not slipping to one side.

Both husband and I are skeptical as far as Chiro's go but David's the kind of guy that cares about his horse to put his doubts aside. He just wants to do what's right for Storm. I guess if my kid went missing I'd get a psychic if I thought it would help.

We didn't get a clear cut idea of "what is wrong" only that he had a little lactic acid in his neck and needed an alignment very bad. So we'll see now.

This is the Chiro I called who has a very good rep around here. He travels all over the country.

http://www.equinesportperformance.com/
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

G84me

Melissa,  I am pretty familiar with chiropractors; had a frozen shoulder (first went to chiro which helped but still had some motion imparment; fixed completely by months of massage therapy. 

Long before that shoulder problem, I fell down a flight of stairs - had a messed up back for months, until I discovered that our insurance covered chiro.  Started with 3X week, then 2X week, then 1X week; after four months I was down to 1X MONTH for six more months.  Have not had a problem since. 

I am a believer in both chiro and massage therapy, but for both, you need to have patience
After being adjusted, it should always be followed by rest, to give the muscles/tendons time to adjust to their new position/feeling.  Sometimes there can be soreness after adjusting also.  This just isn't like getting a shot or taking a pill - sorry.  It's a process.

Be patient and Storm will be straight and so will David!!

Best wishes,
Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

melissah

Okay....tell me. Am I seeing things or is there a difference? I made a before and after album. One of the before's is mislabeled but all the before are in the corral (you see the panels) The Chiro says we should see improvement just about right away.

What do you think?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/madele/library/Storms%20Chiro%20before%20after%20and%20progress?sort=3&page=1

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge

I DO see a difference.  I am in the "skeptical of chiro" group, but having known some instances in which chiro helped when mainstream docs had thrown up their hands, I'm no longer totally skeptical.  Definitely worth following....
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

melissah

I DO see a difference.  I am in the "skeptical of chiro" group, but having known some instances in which chiro helped when mainstream docs had thrown up their hands, I'm no longer totally skeptical.  Definitely worth following....

Thanks Val! I am amazed at the change. Now to talk David into seeing one too. They both need to be aligned to be a team.

OldnOrnery

I see a difference, too. It's really hard to stand up on a fence and at the same time get the horse square in front of you. I'm not a believer in hocus pocus and vague answers, but I know from personal experience that a world class massage therapist can find you tweaked and hurting and leave your relaxed and working. Whether by increased blood flow and improved circulation or otherwise, it know it can really work with certain horses. I have a mare who snapped her teeth at the chiropractor's head the first time she was adjusted. She's loved every session since.

melissah

Years ago I got a gift certificate from my boss my husband and I worked for (RIP my old boss-he was the Dad I never had) for a massage at a place we did work for. It was deep tissue massage. I went and I remember coming out of that place feeling so loose. The next day I hurt. Oh yeah, I hurt but never felt better. I am thinking that is what Storm is experiencing. I think Chiro and massage is very much the same. I am a believer. Maybe I should look into it myself. I always put Chiro up there with acupuncture.

misstux

I see a HUGE difference Melissa.  Chiropractic can be just the ticket.  My late Morgan fell while I was riding him and needed chiro to recover.  As down as I am on chiropractic because of what happened with Strider, sometimes it is the right thing.

melissah

I am still amazed myself! Now to get my husband to go see one. I think he is actually afraid to go...of being hurt. I think it's changed a lot in the last 20 years. But he actually wondered if some of his aches and pains would go away if he did. Baby steps. Years ago in my late 20's I went to a massage place. I had deep tissue done and I will never forget the feeling as I walked out into the crisp night air. I felt so good and loose. Flexible. I was sore as all heck the next day but I felt good.

Cashela

I was a huge skeptic in regards to chiro after seeing one myself, I felt like they broke my neck which hurt for days afterwards and I never went back.  However, I had one out for Cricket because she would dip her back when you touched her and a massage therapist suggested we have one out.  Best money I ever spent.  Her pelvis was out, immediately after the adjustment, no more dipping.  I cried like a baby.
Jenn-New Hampshire

wakemom

I believe in them, Gabby has been seen over the years as well. Don't be surprised if he ends up needing another visit, often times if the problem has been ongoing they will.
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up