verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay questions  (Read 1041 times)

generallee

Re: Hay questions
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 07:06:19 am »

wow KCKC did not know about the green coloring! Yikes, not sure if anyone uses that in my area, YET. I am going out to my fields and kissing the ground! Good Luck KCKC, its so stressful.

kckc

Re: Hay questions
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:49 pm »

bought a large bale of timothy for the horses to try - since there is some greenery they aren't overly excited but it's mixing into their hay pretty well.  asked the broker about any green coloring and he said no, the farms he uses does not color their hay.  He supposedly visits the farms where the hay comes from, guarantees the hay although I'm guessing there's no guarantee if they don't like it.

Found out some other information also - talked to a guy about some regular size square bales because they will stack them on pallets for me - found out they actually round bale the hay and then later they reprocess it into square bales.   Apparently it's common.  If your square bales are shorter pieces like 4 or 5 inches it's probably been chopped from a round bale then reprocessed into square bales.   he's expensive even though he's close.  he makes a hefty price on his square bales so he doesn't sell the round bales cheaper other than what he figures it costs him to process into squares.   uses a hay baron which processes the smaller bales and bundles them into a 21 bundle stack.   no bringing the small bales off the field or stacking issues.   
NC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up