verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UGH....first colic in 8 years! **pictures added #4**  (Read 1256 times)

melissah

UGH....first colic in 8 years! **pictures added #4**
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »

What a day it was yesterday! When it rains it pours.

We are trying to get ready for tomorrow's big 25th anniversary party. First thing in the morning we find out our garage fridge has a runaway t-stat and almost everything is ready to explode. In fact, David pulls out a Rock Star, (he is an energy drink junkie) and it explodes. We shut it down.

I go out to do my morning feed and mucking. Reggie is lying down. I fill all the Porta-Grazer's and put them in the stalls. Reggie doesn't move. He is lying flat out and groaning. OMG HE'S COLICING. I haven't had a colicing horse in 8 years. I get him up and take him out to walk. I call the vet and the gal in the office says he can be out between 11:30-noon. I freak! I can't wait that long. I keep walking him and he keeps wanting to just fold up. He's not rolling or thrashing just sitting quietly. I try to get him up and he won't. I call the office again and tell her, 'I CAN'T GET HIM UP!" yes, I am still freaking out. She asks if he is trying to roll and I say no. She says it's okay if he is resting. She says you have to be rough and use the lead rope and spank his butt. That gets him up. She also tells me the vet decided to come to me first. That's at 8:30 am. So I walk him around and around. I always grab my muck boots and put them on without socks. I'm only out there for 30 minutes. But now I been walking for an hour and a half in circles. My heels are getting blisters. I am starting to feel woozy because it's getting hotter and I have not eaten or drank anything. Later I joke to David he was lucky not to have come home and found that I had passed out and Reggie did too on top of me.

Vet finally gets there and does the drug cocktail. Banamine, a tranquilizer and buscopan. He also mineral oils him. Rectal exam. He finds only a couple of manure balls and they are mucousy.  He says this means his insides are moving slow. He lays down most of the day with short periods of standing. By 3:30 he is still lying down a lot. I call the vet office and have the vet call me. I describe what's happening and vet says that's not good news. Reggie should be up and looking for food now. Take him to the hospital.

Keep in mind all of this is happening and Hannah has no clue. Yesterday she was giving her two week notice and already a stressed out mess. I am just going in and out all days saying, "Please don't die please don't die" I know many can relate to that feeling.

Hannah finally gets home and I tell her what's going on. She goes outside and see's Reggie. He gets up and she is looking him over. First thing she says is, "He looks really really drugged" and attempts to give him grass hay. He starts to eat like he is starving. I'm sure by now because he has not eaten all day. He looks drugged more than anything. But he is up and moving. We discuss the hospital and no one really feels it's necessary...yet.

My husband brings something up that sorta makes sense. I been using the same vet for 10 years. This one that came was the on-call ER vet. I only seen him once for a laceration that he said we could have taken care of at home ourselves. I tend to panic and call for everything. My normal vet always has to give Storm and Reggie pony doses. If given a tranquilizer for a 1000 lb horse, it's way WAY too much. He actually runs across this in the TWH world. He says most have done good on pony doses.  So Reggie was loaded like a junkie. We decide to wait it out. He is back to laying down.

We decide to run to Costco. He's eating and we get a gut feeling he will be okay. We get back and he is up and alert. He's pooped a few balls out. He's got that light back in his eyes. I don't sleep a wink thinking about him and I am up at 3:30 and he is up and looking at me with that, 'WHERE'S MY DARN FOOD WOMAN!" He is up and frisky. I feed him just a little hay to start. Give more banamine. I go out later and he has more poop. I study it and see this strange thing in it. So I grab it with my hands. It looks like a GIANT worm! We had just wormed him on Sunday. I put it in a ziplock, then another ziplock then in my meat pan with my turkey bacon. I want to study this with the family.

He has been up the rest of the day. I caught him lying down just a bit ago for about 10 minutes. He's back up. I gave him a little hay. I really want to see more poop. Poor Reggie...yesterday in his junkie condition I think he really did a number on his back legs. He has a long strip of hair gone like he scalped his leg. He had one then later another on the other leg. Maybe he caught himself with his  own hooves.

I can't say we are out of the woods 100% but all we can do is wait. Looks like he is getting better. But this colic hit him hard.

There was only a small amount of sand in his manure...and a worm. Poor horse. If only we knew what caused it.

Vet says it's just a tummy ache. If the powers that be ever got a recall it would be on the horses gastrointestinal tract! What a poor design!

It's amazing at how delicate these 1000 lb animals are.

Please send good thoughts and vibes to Reggie. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:17:48 pm by melissah »
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

Suzanna

Re: UGH....first colic in 8 years!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »

Sorry to hear you had a colic.  Poor Reggie.  Prayers for all especially Reggie.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

Oh, no.  We seem to experience a tummy ache w/ Skeet every once in awhile.  First time I panicked (because the last "colic" we'd dealt with ended up w/ losing my husband's treasured horse "Red", about 72 hours later.  During the first 3 colics w/ Skeet, I learned--he seems to get a gas bubble or something that he has trouble passing--if I get him moving up and down a little hill in the turn out, whatever it is passes.
And wow, about the drug O/D.  Our vet started Gunner @ half the dose she'd give to a similarly sized Q/H (for dental float last May), thinking that she'd prob'ly need to be ready to give him a little bit more.  Nope--turned out that Gunner is (to use our vet's polished phrase) "a cheap date".  1/2 dose was just perfect.  By the time she'd cleaned his sheath, finish his dental exam and float (LOTS of sharp edges) and gathered up all her tools and put them in her truck, he was pretty much back to normal.  Our vet told us that if we ever have Gunner seen by a different vet and needing sedation/pain relief, we MUST be sure to tell the "other" vet about his sensitivity.  That will never happen willingly on our parts!
As you say, their digestive systems are totally not well designed.  Sometimes colic "just happens" and there's almost nothing we can do to prevent it.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:58:55 pm »

Terrible amounts of stress when one of our big but delicate family members is sick.  I'm really interested in hearing what the worm is !!!  wonder if he had some big bunch of worms killed with the wormer that didn't get caught in the previous worming?  I'd be comparing the 2 wormers to see what additional they kill as well as identifying that worm.   Hugs to Reggie
NC

melissah

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 06:17:22 pm »

Oh, no.  We seem to experience a tummy ache w/ Skeet every once in awhile.  First time I panicked (because the last "colic" we'd dealt with ended up w/ losing my husband's treasured horse "Red", about 72 hours later.  During the first 3 colics w/ Skeet, I learned--he seems to get a gas bubble or something that he has trouble passing--if I get him moving up and down a little hill in the turn out, whatever it is passes.
And wow, about the drug O/D.  Our vet started Gunner @ half the dose she'd give to a similarly sized Q/H (for dental float last May), thinking that she'd prob'ly need to be ready to give him a little bit more.  Nope--turned out that Gunner is (to use our vet's polished phrase) "a cheap date".  1/2 dose was just perfect.  By the time she'd cleaned his sheath, finish his dental exam and float (LOTS of sharp edges) and gathered up all her tools and put them in her truck, he was pretty much back to normal.  Our vet told us that if we ever have Gunner seen by a different vet and needing sedation/pain relief, we MUST be sure to tell the "other" vet about his sensitivity.  That will never happen willingly on our parts!
As you say, their digestive systems are totally not well designed.  Sometimes colic "just happens" and there's almost nothing we can do to prevent it.

Haha that's what my vets calls them too. A "cheap date"

Now I know to mention the whole tranq thing. I rarely have another vet out. I always have appointments with the regular one. Yearly stuff!

Terrible amounts of stress when one of our big but delicate family members is sick.  I'm really interested in hearing what the worm is !!!  wonder if he had some big bunch of worms killed with the wormer that didn't get caught in the previous worming?  I'd be comparing the 2 wormers to see what additional they kill as well as identifying that worm.   Hugs to Reggie

I got a picture of the worm and most likely the culprit responsible for the colic!!!

His first poo this morning looked weird. No little balls of poop but a a big string. HA! I feel horrible. All that sod we removed from the front yard. We tried to clean up the sod string that is under it but some was still left here and there. I picked it up and it was a long poo connected to all the green mesh stuff. :-[ After that poo only balls are coming out. Hopefully there is no more in him.

But here is the worm. After some research it looks like a round worm.

Another thing....watch what ends up in your yards. I read one story where someone's horse found a bag of carrots and ate the bag too. Luckily the bag passed. Even a zip tie. Here is what came out of Reggie. We feel horrible and all 3 are stalled until we can get out there and pick any remaining plastic out of the turn out.

and poor Reggie's leg after he ripped hair off. Both his back legs have this on the inside. I am thinking he has a struggled getting down and clipped himself. Drugs!

Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: UGH....first colic in 8 years! **pictures added #4**
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:02 pm »

OMG--that is horrible==WAY worse than Skeeter's little gas bubbles!  Hopefully he's passed what was blocking him up, and there's nothing left inside to interfere w/ normal plumbing.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

NoRegrets

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 04:59:50 am »

How scary is that!  I sure hope Reggie is feeling better today.  Nasty looking cut too. 

I've been through 2 colics.  My first horse, after owning her just 3 months, went down with colic.  The vet came, tubed her and she was inundated with worms.  Just gross.

The second colic turned out to be from a lipoma and we lost him after about a week of care.

I just got a new horse the end of February.  I'd only had him a few days when I discovered a plastic bag in his poop pile.  I don't know if he came with it and then passed it, or if it was tightly hidden in his hay.  But that could have been a disaster.

Prayers for a full recovery and a happy anniversary party too.
Debbie

misstux

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »

Colic scares the crap out of me.  I lost my Morgan Dusty to inoperable colic.  Since then I am a basket case about colic.  My former horse Scout had a mild colic and I was crying when I talked to the vet who just happened to be there.  Strider had a mild colic a couple months ago and I got the vet right out.  Glad Reggie is ok.

wakemom

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »

Trying to pass all that at once is what led to the colic. And this is pretty timely for me cuz I'm freaking out removing this type of stuff from Gabby's stall right now. They put "fill dirt" in it, without my permission and it is full of this stuff ... clumps of sod with this mesh...I was freaking out. I know what it can do, I've seen it happen in a post on a group page. It took 3 of us over an hour just to remove what we could see and every day I pick out more. Seeing this now, I know I was not over reacting.
Cheryl~Gabby's Mom

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »

I agree with Cheryl.  Had the same result as a horse with an overburden of worms trying to expel them all at once.  I am so glad he's OK!  SCARY, no doubt!
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

2gaits

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 05:25:23 pm »

How is Reggie? I hope he has recovered.

Years ago we had attached heavy duty mesh sun shade material to the pens to keep the horses from rubbing their manes out between the fence bars. One of the horses ripped his up some. I don't remember the exact time frame but that horse ended up with a fatal bought of colic. To this day I wonder if it wasn't some mesh he ingested.

melissah

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:51 am »

Reggie is back 100%! Thank God!

With our anniversary party Saturday and Sunday family stuff we had no time to go out and clean all the mesh. David is planning on going out tomorrow morning before work on the tractor and then picking all of it up before we let them out again. Been so darn hectic.

Cheryl....awful about the fill dirt. We ordered fill dirt when we were landscaping and they asked if we wanted clean or dirty dirt. I can't belive they would have chose "dirty" maybe cuz it was cheaper but David was told it can have anything in it.

We definitely dodged a bullet this time.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

So glad to hear all is well with Reggie!!
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

RackinRocky

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »

Like I mentioned on Facebook, it is indeed a roundworm, albeit a strange looking one. I've seen millions of roundworms over the years!  We used to get pot bellied puppies in on an everyday basis that were infested with rounds. And it's very possible for them to die because they can't all be passed at once. I even lost a puppy out of a litter of my own to rounds.  Usually they are seen in foals and young horses, not adults. So that is somewhat unusual. You see people being hyper vigilant about what is in their horses' pens, etc. I have never been like that. If something is obvious, I will remove it, but I don't go looking for stuff. Yet, after owning horses for 27 years, I've never had a colic or a founder. This is just to illustrate that you shouldn't beat yourself up over it--it can happen to anyone. You can't get every little thing that could be a potential danger for your horse. It would be impossible. Glad Reggie is doing well now!

melissah

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:35 pm »

Thanks Mona and Randi!

David and Hannah are out there right now with the tractor getting the last of the sod that's left over. There is green mesh everywhere so we plan to walk the turn out today and get the rest. We'll go over it with a fine tooth comb. After seeing that huge piece of mesh we aren't taking any chances.

The work thing was weird. We do a lot of group riding an trailering out so maybe he sniffed at something. We try to discourage sniffing wild poop.

Hopefully everything is back on track as we leave Friday with them for  a weekend camping trip.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up