Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Star Pads  (Read 636 times)

mymeka

5 Star Pads
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:31 am »

Who has a 5 Star pad that can offer up a review - good, bad, or otherwise.  Pics............

What would be the best thickness for good ol' trail riding?

Lori

capecupcake

• Horses are my sanity
Re: 5 Star Pads
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:52 am »

I have one that I use and love. It is the one that was made for Crest Ridge. I am not sure of the thickness. You would think that it would be stiff and awkward, but it is not at all. I think that no saddle, unless custom fit, is a perfect fit. This pad helps make it a better fit and be comfortable for the horse. It also helps with sweat.

generallee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »

Also look at the Thin line pads, I have the Pro Tech Western, and I love it. I have had it for a year and it still looks brand new, I can feel my horse lift his back while I ride and he has never done this with any other pad. I also have a bad back and I like the theory about this pad, my back does not hurt even after hours in the saddle. There are pockets built into the pads so if you have to use shims, you can, just a very versatile pad. I have also used a Todd Sloane pad, equipedic endurance and a diamond wool endurance, that also has the pockets to shim, but don't need that with this horse.

Myaj

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:36 pm »

I don't have one, but the concept makes a lot of sense.  Being 100% full fiber wool, the horse's sweat steams the wool just like shaping a real felt cowboy hat, and forms it custom to your horse's shape.  It fills in all the dips and gives way for the bumps, and if your horse changes shape or muscle tone, the next time they work up a good sweat it will re-steam and shape to fit.

The main reason I don't have one anymore is they take a long time to dry.  And I get grossed out by the idea of putting a wet saddle blanket on my horse and riding them again later the same day or the next day.  They are too expensive to just have a bunch of them to use while you wait for the first to dry, too ;)  But using a liner can really help keep it clean and more dry too :)

HopeMissouri

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:09:07 pm »

My 200lb son was slipping sideways when he rode my SSH in my Imus western saddle.  Didn't even mention the slipping when I asked Debra to check the saddle fit.   She said fit was OK, but suggested using a wool pad instead of the TAcky Too non-slip (which was slipping!) pad we had.  Happened to already have a 5-Star CrestRidge pad so gave it a try.   Completely eliminated the slipping that my son experienced!  Debra is amazing!  I do have a the felt underpad made for the wool pad, but prefer to use the Dixie Midnight beneath to wick away the sweat. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up