Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermoregulation in Horses  (Read 1044 times)

MyBoyG

Re: Thermoregulation in Horses
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »

Thermoregulation in action.  I didn't have a camera when we went to feed Saturday night, but found G standing in the corner of his paddock coated with a crust of snow from head to tail.  The base of his ears were warm and you could see how the under layer of hair was dry where it was wet but not crusted.  This morning it was sleeting.  When I got to the barn this is what I found.....(I think he.s loving the cold). He was happy to see me with breakfast!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:50:07 pm by MyBoyG »

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

FancyPants

Re: Thermoregulation in Horses
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 05:14:33 pm »

Sometimes it boggles my mind...but if you let them be horses, they certainly seem to be happy enough.  I put a round bale out for them during this cold snap we're having and everybody seems to be handling it well.  The only one shivering is me!  Go figure...  no blankets, run-in shelter, beet pulp with extra salt/vit-min pellets/roughage cubes and free-choice hay.  Apparently it doesn't get any better...lolol  They're all fat and sassy and livin' the life - aka no riding because I'M A WUSS!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up