Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello....My name is.................  (Read 4193 times)

Topaz

Re: Hello....My name is.................
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 06:57:54 am »

Crystal and I live in Southcentral Pa.  I have 3 best buds, my goofy Kentucky Mountain boy named Topaz (nickname Squirrel Monkey at the barn where I board because of his goofy personality) and my two dogs, Glory, a Jack Pit (Jack Russel and Pitbull) who is blind since birth and is 10 yrs old and Titan, my 5 year old velcro Pitbull.  There also is a husband but he's not into the horse thing.  I have loved horses every since I can remember but wasn't until my late thirties when I got my first TWH, Gossamer.  He was 12 when I lost him 4 1/2 years ago to colic and ruptured stomach.  I always said I'd grow old with him but it wasn't to be. Thankfully, the Good Lord blessed me with Topaz within a week of losing Gossamer.  He was a 6 year old that a lady had bought as a project but then hurt her back and she didn't want to chance being injured again so she put Topaz up for sale dirt cheap and he came home with me.  We trail ride as he's not fond of showing but loves to move out down the trail.  My dream is to train for a Competitive Trail Ride.  I know Topaz can do it, I'm not sure my body can do it, but maybe when I retire in 6 years, it will become a reality. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Crystal, Harrisburg, PA  Kentucky Mtn & OTTB

Cowgirl Up

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:23 pm »

Hello I go by Cowgirl Up, the pictures are great. I'm new at this how do you transfer your pictures to this forum?  I would like to put horse on my introduction. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciate . :)

fancysfoxtrotter

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 09:26:53 pm »

Hi, my name is Caroline.  I am 45 and live by Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.  Took lessons off and on as a teenager, then when I got my first job out of college I met a family who bred Arabians, and did some competitive trail riding, trail riding, starting horses, with them for the next 15 years or so.
My non-horsey husband is Trevor, and we have a 5 year old son, Colin, and 2 indoor cats.
I got into gaited because my knees were not happy about posting. there aren't a lot of gaited around here, but I bought Fancy, 2 1/2 years ago.  She is turning 7 this year.  It's been an up and down experience together, some days she's great, some days I think I'll have to sell her and get something a lot more low key.  She is an alpha mare, who is quite willing to stand still and not budge when I try to trail ride alone.  On the other hand, she is very talented ans versatile.  She loves jumping cross rails, has  done several informal dressage walk/ trot tests, moved cows, great at agility/obstacles, and of corse trail riding. 
We are a work in progress...when we are good, we are very good; and when we're bad, we're horrid!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:29:29 pm by fancysfoxtrotter »

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »

Hi, I am "Mona" from Morson, Ontario, Canada.  We are located about 35 minutes across the Canadian/American border from Baudette, Minnesota.  I have been married to my wonderful husband Chris, for what will be 33 years in August.  We have 2 adult children (a son and daughter) and 4 grandsons.  We also always have a couple or so dogs.  Currently, we have a spayed female Boxer (Abby) that will be 6 in April, and a neutered male Chinese Crested/Chihuahua cross (Monkey) that will be 5 in August.

I grew up a town girl, having VERY limited horse experience growing up.  I would occasionally get on a horse as a child when at my uncle's farm in Saskatchewan when we went out there for summer holidays, and I also rode once or twice on a school friend's horse when I was maybe 12 or so years of age. 

Fast forward to my adult life.  Ended up a country bumpkin after getting together with hubby. I bought my first riding horse and boarded her at a stable 80 miles away, and would go up riding once or twice a week.  "Venus" was a 7/8 Arab mare.  Hubby would rent/ride one from the stable when he came along with me.

I brought her home the following Spring after hubby got a small pen fenced in for her. She was our only horse at the time.  There was absolutely no fencing or farm buildings on our place when we came here.  Hubby literally pounded every fencepost in by hand...all wooden posts were used to begin with, but we've since been swapping them out for t-posts as need, as much easier to pound in!  LOL!  We went in search of another riding horse, and in that time, ended up on the backs of a couple of runaways.  These bad experiences pretty much soured us on riding horses.  I ended up buying my first Miniature Horses, selling the riding horses we had, and raised minis for the next 16 years.  It was a wonderful experience for me, because even though I was not riding, I learned so much about health, nutrition, horse keeping, feeding, and especially loved watching the herd hierarchy and interaction, and learning how to use their body language to my benefit. That was a wonderful tool to carry me through into my next venture with riding horses.

In the Spring of 2010, I was once again hit with the dream of riding.  In April or May that year, we got our first ones home. Only one of those original 2 is still here with us today.  She (Cheyenne) was purchased for my husband, but soon was taken over y me, and she has become my personal riding mare and my "security blanket" as I call her.   I sold all the minis by the end of 2010.

Even though I had no confidence in the saddle, I was VERY confident with handling horses on the ground, and that is no different between large or small horses.  A horse is a horse, of course, of course.  ;-)   

We went through several other horses in search for a suitable 2nd and even 3rd horse for us.  We found a beautiful pure white (not grey) gelding and he and my husband it it off and make a great pair together. 

We are just light pleasure riders, and there are no trails around here, so we ride on the roads a lot and also on others property where we have gotten permission from the owners.

Last Spring we added a beautiful new mare, and lo and behold, come late July, I realized she came with a traveling companion tucked away inside of her!  She foaled a bay pinto filly on August 18, 2013!

And finally, this past November, a little grulla (minimal) pinto mini mare that I had sold came back to live with me.  "Angel" will be 18 in April.  She was born and raised here, stayed until she was 12, and then I sold her as a companion for another mini.  Her owner decided she no longer wanted them, so I got the mare back.

Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

crazy4equines

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:33 pm »

Great Topic. Well as my username suggest, I am crazy about horses and have been since I can remember. My real name is Lisa, I was born and raised in Southern Wi, And I have recently been living in Northern IL. I have 2 adult daughter's  a 22yr old and a 18 yr old, I am also a grandma to my 22 yr old child. I have been with my boyfriend Scott for 7 yrs and he has 2 children from a previous marriage, they are twins(boy and girl) and are 16 yrs old. I have been riding since I was 10 yrs old and I am 40 now. I was not able to buy my 1st horse until my early 20's and he was a grade mft named rambler. I have had many different horsesover the years and I have ridden every gaited breed there is. I guess technically I have 4 horses, even tho 2 are my 18 yr old daughter horses, I just pay for them, lol. My Mare is Belle, She is a reg. blue roan mft who is in foal to a reg. grulla fox trotter and is due march 28th of this year, and my other horse is a yearling reg.Tennessee walker colt that I plan on selling, Whiskey is his name and he is a bay roan. My daughter horse is a reg. Kmsh named Raven, she is a pure black mare and my daughters other horse is raven's colt, Cowboy who is also a reg. Kmsh who is chocolate in color. He is going to be leaving for his new home in KY  if the weather ever cooperates.

I also raise reg. Oberhasli dairy goats. I milk them and I make soap out of their milk and sell that at a local store. I also have 2 dogs, Zeke is over the hill and he is husky/german shepherd mix  and my other dog is a border collie/heeler/bichon mix named Rosie, I think she is 7 this year. I also have a pygmy goat named jay that prefers to live with the horses then the goats. We also have 2 cats, Tom a male tom cat that made the mistake of showing up because he later went in and got neutered and the other cat is Marley who is only a year old. Ok I think that pretty much sums everything up.

LaurieMI

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 08:14:10 am »

I'm back! My name is Laurie and I'm 52. It's been a few years. The first thing I'd like to say is THANK YOU to the members on this board that helped motivate me to stick with it.
At the time I first joined, (2007) I think, I had a TWH gelding that was getting the best of me. Through the advice I obtained here, we were able to work through our issues. Also with the help of a great trainer. I'm happy to say Boo Bear a.k.a. (I'm Dumas Rascal) is still with me. He'll be 15 this spring and he's better than ever. He is now ridden by my husband, Tom.
About 3 years ago I purchased another TWH gelding, Prism's Favorite Buckshot (Bucky). I had not looked at his papers prior to the purchase. My heart sank when I realized I had another "Pusher" bred horse on my hands. No offense to anyone, but they can be a handful! He'd had 60 days of training in Arizona as a coming 3 yr old and not ridden much after that. I took him straight to my trainer for a 30 day refresher. It was a big adjustment for him initially, leaving his mommy and all, but training went well and he learned to be a big boy. Bucky is now 7 and I love him to pieces! He's a no-nonsense, easy going fella. I could not be happier!
Both horses love to camp and trail ride. We started out a few years ago with a bumper pull and a tent. We upgraded to a gooseneck with dressing room for a couple years and have finally purchased a new LQ trailer. I'm ready for winter to be over!

Thanks for having me back,
Laurie

Overtherainbow

• Be The Leader
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:44 pm »

Hello
My name is Evelyn, from SW Michigan. I have always loved horses. I remember as a small child always wanting to go to a local park for the pony ride. I also as a kid would always want to go to any family member who had horses..lol

As a adult when the family would go on vacation my only goal was to go horseback riding. My husband always got the cranky horse, so he really didn't like it that much, but he would always go for me.

At the ripe old age of 52 I bought my first horse. She was a 10 year old twh/quarter. She was a horse that needed a leader and I just was to timid to be that for her. Of course the lady I bought her from said she was kid safe etc.... I had her for two years and realized that I was going to get hurt with her, so I sold her. But I will say that I am glad that I had that experience with her because it taught me a lot.

Last July I bought a blue papered MFT mare 10 years old. She is beginner safe and just a world of difference. Her size intimated me at first (first horse was 14.2) . I didn't want a horse bigger than Cierra, and Rain was 15.1. That was a lot bigger to me , and she was very stocky which that I liked cause I am a big girl. This horse is everything her previous owner said she was!

Rain is a horse that is giving my confidence back. I am not afraid to correct her when riding, like when riding the bridel trail and she wants to head back to the barn. With Cierra I would of been afraid to make her continue, and she would of won because of her attitude. But with Rain I push thru that and not afraid to make her go. Oh, and it feels wonderful to ride a true gaited horse.

God Bless & Happy Trails
Evelyn

NMCowboy

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 07:57:40 am »

New to this board....Linda, age 53, in NH. Born and raised on a farm, have had at least one horse all my life. Current horses are a 28 yr old Morgan gelding who is still ridden several times a week on trails, and is still healthy, active, strong, and full of himself.  I also have a 28 yr old mini mare who is my alter-ego horse - she drives like a dream and I take her out whenever I need to just plain have a good laugh/fun, driving a mini is a ball!  Horse #3 is a beautiful 8 yr old MFT gelding who is turning out to be a great trail horse and has been to several shows with great success as well.  He is the reason I signed on to this board, being my first gaited horse we are still learning as well go!

kimtreelane

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:47 am »

Lynn here.  I am 63 years young and am a perpetual beginner rider..lol

I started riding when I was 50.  My daughter had ridden since the age of 6 and I was always the one to take her to the lessons and shows.  I was terrified of horses and they knew it. When she would ask me to hold any of her horses they would pin there ears back and some of them would even rear up. Thats how scared I was and they all sensed it.

So at the young age of 50 I decided I had better get over my fear of horses and start riding.  I started on the Icelandics, progressed to a large quarter horse and eventually ended up with 3 of my own adopted standardbreds. 

I didnt ride a lot in the past 13 years and hope to make up for it now.

My friend gifted me a beautiful Tennessee Walker because she was unable to ride due to health issues.

She is everything I have ever wanted in a horse and I am so very grateful for this wonderful gift.

I live in Ontario Canada north of Huntsville.  I have an amazing husband (of 34 years) and 2 beautiful daughters.   Also two huge dogs, a bouvier des flandres  and a newfoundlander along with my 3 standardbreds and my TWH. 

I am looking forward to learning lots from this group!

missmegan

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »

Hi. My name is Megan, I am 24 years old and live in central California. I am engaged and am getting married in March, I am forever thankful for my fiance and am really looking forward to getting to be his wife. I just got my first teaching job, I will be teaching 7th grade English (school starts this month-eek!). My fiance and I live on 2 1/2 acres and keep all of our animals at home. I have a 19 year old missouri fox trotter mare who I've had for about 5 years now. She is my "heart horse." We have two dogs, and my dog Piper is my best friend and companion, we compete in flyball and go to tournaments pretty regularly. Until recently I also had a three year old quarter horse filly who was to be my barrel horse. She was a dream, amazingly talented, but she was involved in a tragic accident that cost her her life (I posted about it in the front porch section). I was active on the old board a long time ago, but I am new to this new board and have been away for quite a long time.

My fiance and I

Tiffany, my fox trotter

Piper and I at flyball

Mystic. My quarter horse filly

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:45:56 pm by missmegan »

Alisha

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »

My name is Alisha.  Live in south central PA.  I was a member of the old board but have been away until my friend said I should re-join.

I have one horse and a pony. Neither are gaited. One QH mare and one mini or small pony depending who measures.  She's 39.5".  So an 1.5" too big for a mini.

I have had horses since 2000.  Like to trail ride but neither my mare or I are very good riders.  Shown a few times over the years but I'd rather just "play" with my mares. 

Finally bought our little "farm" in 2013.  Horses came home in Sept. of 2013 and it's very nice to be able to go out to the barn.  I can't quite see them out the kitchen window but that's okay.

With just a bit over 2 acres I'm limited on what horses I can have.  That could be a good thing.  We have 2 stalls with the ability to have a third stall if needed at some point...

Suzanna

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 12:54:11 pm »

Hi,  My name is Suzanna.  I found this site a couple years ago when doing a search on mane and tail products.  I  have 1 horse but he is non gaited so I hope I can still join this group.  I have found a lot of good general horse information on here. 
Suz

caglover

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 07:34:22 am »

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die....

Sorry..just couldn't resist!

Chris Glover..Central Ohio.  Started riding at age 50. 

Blessed with a great "first" horse..Retired Standardbred Pacer Silver Match

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 08:22:13 am »

Welcome, Chris!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

LadyAndMinerva

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »

Hello, my name is Leona.  I did a bit of an intro in my first post, but I'll add it here.  I'm from Michigan.  I'm married to Michael and have 3 young girls (2, 4, 6).  I've always had horses and ponies in my life. 

I just bought my first gaited horse last month.  She's a 10 year old grade TWH.  She's more of project than I was looking for after a 6 year hiatus while I had babies.  I think in the long run it will work out.

We've also got a 20 something grade pony for the girls to ride, and a 3 year old labradoodle.

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you.
Easing my way into easy gaits one day at a time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up