Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello....My name is.................  (Read 4136 times)

Snowfire

Re: Hello....My name is.................
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »

Connie from Downsville, La.  My husband and I trail ride and I hope to try showing one or two of our horses in the small Cotton Country shows this coming year. We have been married 32 years, have three children, our seventh grandchild is due in March.  I work as surgery tech at Animal Hospital of West Monroe, been there seventeen years and as you could probably quess we have a few animals. There are six dogs, one cat and five horses. Shorty, a quarter horse mix, who we have had over twenty years, he's around thirty or so. Rose, a TWH, age sixteen, she's my husbands ride. Her daughter, Tessa, age eight, used to be my ride, long story. Her replacement Apache, a SSH, age 13 and our little mini rescue, Lil Bit, age 11.  Thanks for adding me to your group. I've been reading here for years, have learned so much and really enjoy it.

Kalli

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »

I'm Deb.  "Kalli" was my sheltie for 17 years.  I started using her name because when I'd try to register on different sites, the user name "Deb" was usually already taken. 

I grew up in a large family in the suburbs of NJ.  There was no money or a place to keep a horse but my sis and I were horse crazy from the age of 9 or 10 when I read Marguerite Henry's books.  At 17, Dad's job transferred us to rural PA and my sis and I took lessons and loved it - still didn't have the money to actually own a horse.  Went to college, got married, had kids and worked...and the years went by.  When my youngest left for college I decided it was time to do something for me so I asked around about taking riding lessons.  I was extremely lucky to end up with an instructor who truly took me under her wing.   That was 8 years ago and if not for her, I'd have given up on riding due to the challenges involved, especially for an older beginner!

I now have my own SSH, Snuffles.  My friend's husband started calling him Snuffleupagus and it got shortened.  Snuffles is a comical and extremely nosy gelding.  You wouldn't want him for a neighbor because he'd have a pair of binoculars trained on your every move.   ;)   He always wants to know everything everyone is doing on the farm.  He's boarded at my friend's place.  We trail ride, mostly in the warmer months.

A few years ago I found an ancestral link to my horse addiction:  my great grandfather owned a "horseshoeing" shop in Brooklyn, NY and together with his brother, also had a horse and buggy business.   For fun, on Sundays,  they'd race their horses/buggies up and down Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn.   ;D

-Kalli

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:58:45 pm by KysaSD »

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 09:09:15 am »

I'm not ready to post in this thread yet, but just want to suggest that this thread ought to be "pinned"!  A great place for new folks to introduce themselves and get acquainted, since we don't seem to have that discussion area in this new venue!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pasolady

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:25 pm »

Hi, just joined and my name is Phyllis.  I live in TN, about an hour north of Nashville.  Hubby and I own seven acres and had a new barn built just this summer to house the four horses we have.  We have three TWH, two are b/w spotted and half brothers, the other is solid black and the other is my little Paso Fino I bought come two years ago in March.  My husband went gaited long before I did, for many years we owned and rode QH, had a leopard app and a couple of Arabians.  In those years we also owned many a grade horse as well.  We both started out with TWH, then I bought my first Paso Fino and fell totally in love with the breed and my husband a year later bought an American Saddlebred mare.  We owned both up into their twenties and had them put down for different reasons, both are buried here on our place. 

Besides our four horses we also have 17, yes that is 17, cats, some indoor and some outdoor.  All but three who were born here were thrown out on us, seems we are the place to go if no one wants their cat anymore.  All have been spayed or neutered, doing our best to keep the cat population down.  We also have a dog, part Australian cow dog and part Australian shepherd.

I have to say I have lurked her for a long time and finally decided to join.

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

Hi all,
I am Raylin from Kimbolton, Ohio, I am a 1978 model.  Along with me I married my High School sweerheart, Joe in 1998, we have 2 boys Randall & Carter.

I was best known for my pet steer that I had for 17 1/2.  I lost him in Nov 2012.

Equine critters, are Get Down Brown, a TWH 1990 stud, Get Down's Lovely Lady, a TWH 2000 mare, A Lovely Surprise, a TWH 2007 mare, Ginger a 30+ grade mare, BlackJack 25+ mini/pony gelding.  On loan to us is Raspberry, that Randall uses for 4-H I also have a mare that lives in TN with an old boss that is friend

Other critters is a blue heeler, Lucifer, outside cats Twister, & Jibber Jabber, inside cats Blackie, Scrawny, & Annabel

Joe is a licensed surface mine blaster for Ohio & West Virginia. He has recently joined our counties Search & Rescue group.

Randall our oldest rides some & does ballet.  Carter is what you call my wild child he is all boy & reminds us of that daily.

I am a stay at home Mom which I do sell Avon on the side not really a large $$ maker but it is something to keep me a little busy.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in March of 2012, it has been a battle but at the moment I think I am living. 

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 01:42:11 pm »

I am Karen, and my hubby, John (SHNOOL) is also a member of this board.

I'm 47 yrs old and have a 21 yr old son, John is 42 and has a 10 yr old daughter, who lives with us part-time.  We just bought a house on 32 acres in  Pocono, PA in October, 2012, put some fencing up, brought a run in shed in, and brought the horses home a year (and 9 days) ago.  The property is wooded, but we're taking trees down here and there, and hope to clear 4-5 acres over the next couple years.

I bought my first horse 8 years ago, having never taken a riding lesson.  Our dog sport requires horses, so a horse I got  :).  John bought his first horse 5 1/2 yrs ago, after we dated for 6 months, and he rode a few very sour wrangler horses.

John's daughter, Mariel, is really starting to enjoy riding, and Quinn, John's horse, is the perfect babysitter, so we've leased a 3rd horse from Raylin (Shiner...an 11 yr old TWH mare).  Shiner is with a trainer now and barring any unforeseen problems, will become a permanent addition to our herd soon.

Karen

MyBoyG

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

I'm Kate and hail from central Connecticut. I have been horse crazy since my first pony ride at 3.  I started trail riding at 8, took hunter/jumper lessons in my 20's and dreamed of someday owning my own horse.

I'm 59 years young and married to my best friend and soul mate, Zeke.  We found each other later in life, and have been together for 19 years, and married for 14.  We share a love for horses and horseback riding and spent the first 10 years taking ranch vacations to Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and New York, and any other vacations we would always find places to ride.  We planned on waiting until we retired to buy horses of our own, but after 911 the realization that life is truly short hit me, and I started the search for my first horse.  His name is General, lovingly called G.  He's 16 this year, hard to imagine that I've owned him 10.5 years already.  It's been quite the journey, lots of bumps early in our relationship, but I wouldn't trade any of the bad for all that his challenging self has taught me.  Although trail riding is my first love, we've taken dressage lessons on and off over the years.  Hard to do without an indoor arena with our winter weather, so the past couple of winters he's had it pretty easy.  G is boarded, as we don't have a place, but we do have a 5 acre parcel of land in Wartrace Tennessee waiting on us to semi retire to.  Once there, we can fulfill hubby's dream of owning his own horse  :) Oh, and I can't forget our other two kids, Ozzy and Murry.  They are standard poodles, 5 and 3. 

Horsemanship, the wonderful never ending journey of learning!   Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.  Autograph your work with excellence.

tmdeck

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 06:06:32 pm »

My name is Tammy and I am 42 years old. Yikes!!! When did that happen? I live in Michigan. I started riding when I was 2 1/2 years old. My grandpa bought my sister and I a Shetland pony. Best thing to learn how to ride on-they will teach you every dirty trick in the book. I now have my first gaited horse, Gypsy, a MFT. She is my perfect horse but is by no means perfect. She will do almost anything I ask of her though. I am single but am currently dating my farrier (how perfect is that?). He has a beautiful Morgan gelding named Captain and now we own a yearling Rocky Mountain filly named Bailey. We recently took a trip to Wyoming with the  horses so he could hunt Mule deer. What a blast that was! We had to hike in 12 miles with the horses carrying the gear. I could so live there. And my wonderful horse once again proved that she is a very willing and smart and brave animal. She didn't flip out and kill me in that harsh terrain.  I truly love my horse.

[attachment deleted by admin]

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 06:16:05 pm »

Hello, My name is Judi and I live in RI.  I am in my late 60s and have ridden and owned horses most of my life.
Over the years I have trained, ridden and shown many breeds, but always have come "home" to Standardbreds.

I own Performance Standardbreds of Coventry, RI and at the moment am owned by tow wonderful boys.
Slam Dunk Lobell aka Duncan who most of you know is a very successful Barrel Horse and Show horse.

He is 19 and I have just retired him as the injuries sustained over the years on the track are catching up with my wonderful bit guy.

Last June I went to the Bangor, ME area to get back a horse I had homed a few years ago.  I had checked on him from time to time and all was well, or so I was told.  NOT.  Anyway DAs Bad Boy came home in awful condition.  BUT, today, you can not tell he has ever missed a meal.  We call him Ace and he is going to be my show horse next year.
I am aiming for Barrels (of course I am) and Saddle seat classes and Roadster Under Saddle.  Should be a fun year.

I live in RI with my husband Mike and Miss Luci out German Pincher.
I am way to competitive for my years but I just love the ring and bringing this wonderful breed out so folks can see what a great breed they really are.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

KAB

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »

Hi,my name is Kathy and I live in sunny S.Florida.I'm sixty,been married to same fella since 1970,lived on the same property since 1970.Have two children, a son and a daughter.This year was blessed with my first grandchild,a grandson.
Retired from postal service with 35 years service.Yeah,I grew up there!Loved the job.It was on a rural route out in the country with horses everywhere.
Have 7 paso finos.Of which 3 are ridable.Half of them are in their 20's.One is 30.Needless to say they are family and they never leave.Have 6 outside cats which were dumped on us,one inside that we (actually our dog) picked.He took it out of it's box (we had babies to bottle feed--dumb moma got hit by car) and brought inside.Years ago tho.We have two dogs,a pound rescue(black lab/corgi mix.....looks like a lab but has real short legs....we call her our shallow water retriever and we inherited my inlaws little dog.We also babysit my son's dog, a JRT, when he works.Fireman and has 24 hr, shift so she's with us 3 days a week.
Have lost SIL,MIL and FIL all in the past 3 yrs.Cancer for the ladies and stroke for FIL.Lost 2 great horses and 2 great dogs in same time period.Husband has been fighting cancer for last 10 years and I can say right now he's doing wonderful.AND we have a grandson!You know when you are younger and things are going pretty good we always assume they always will.But then life happens.And new traditions are made.
So this is our first year without 3 of our very much missed family members but we have our tree up and a great Christmas day planned with the rest of our families.And there is always the hope of getting a ride in.We have our holiday dinners at my barn and we always have to lead the little kids around on the horses after dinner.Exercise....so no guilt about the sweets!
Kathy South Florida, Paso Fino lover

mymeka

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 07:44:39 am »

My name is Lori and I have from suburbs outside of Philadelphia, PA (Chester County).   I am 49 years old, and newly married (October) for the second time.  I feel I have met my sould mate, the love of my life, and feel truly blessed.  My husband and I own two Missouri Fox Trotters - Shaker (black and white), and Pewter (dappled gray), and love to pleasure trail ride, with friends.  We are lucky to have built a barn and have the horses in our backyard (always a dream).  We also own 3 indoor only cats (a domestic tabby, a blue lynx point Birman, and a seal point Himalayan.

We love to travel, and were just recently married in Bora Bora, at the St. Regis Resort.  A dream come true.

Lori

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:59:10 pm by KysaSD »

zab

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »

Well, I'm Zab. That's what people call me in reality so I figure it works here too ;)

I'm a 26 (wow, time flies) year old girl in Sweden. Studying to get my teachers licence in Art and History.
I've been lazy with the riding and horse stuff lately, but I have a wonderful, totally weird standardbred called Crow. Both my vet, my trainer and all my friends agree - he's simply not like any other horse with the ways he move and react. He's just weird. And they also agree - he fits me perfectly ;)

He really is a sweetheart, putting  up with everything I do to him. I could not have wished for a better four legged friend and I hope I'll get back up in the saddle and ride more soon enough.
We also have a draft horse, who's my dads companion. Very gentle and stable horse.

I don't think there's much more to say about me... Who I am will be reflected in the posts I write. I do hope they'll be read with a kind eye - I will never intentionally insult someone or suggest they're wrong. I will try to read with  kind eyes as well.

I'll only provide old pictures.. because I have no new ones.

"Hold your head high but your nose in a friendly level". :)

Iceangel

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 02:29:34 pm »

Pam from Roberts Wi, way up north, 30 miles from St Paul Mn. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago but we had a second home on our grandpas 400 acre farm in northern Illinois.  Best of both worlds. I started riding when I was 7 and  am  57 yrs old now. I have 3 children, Rachel, James and Lukas, who are all grown up, well mostly. I started riding QH's and then found the world of gaited. I have some physical disaiblities that make the smooth ride more enjoyable for both me and my horse. I bought and sold a few gaited horses but always found a better suited home for them. 2 MFT, 1 TW, 1 SSH, 1 Paso Fino and finally my heart the Icelandics.  I was not looking for a new horse but a friend wanted to show me a house she put an offer on and that lady who was selling the house had an Icelandic for sale. The rest is history as they say.  I remember in my 30's meeting an Icelandic and thinking Oh,  I want someday, nope to expensive. At the MN Horse Expo I still get tears in my eyes when I see the Icelandics and I think how lucky I am to have found my mares. I feel truly blessed.  My Aunt Ro had passed away and left me some of her life insurance policy.  I thank her every day for such a gift, my Lukka. She changed my life. I trail ride and camp lots.  I have Lukka, 19 yr old Icelandic, and her daughter Luna 13 yr old Gypsy/Icelandic. I also have my sisters (she lives in TX) 22 yr old Icelandic mare, Joli who I consider mine too!  I can put anyone on any 3 of my girls and feel confident they will have a safe enjoyable ride. First picture is Luna, Gypsy/Icey, second is Joli(Icelandic) and third is Lukka (my heart).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:31:15 pm by Iceangel »

HoundsCroft

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »

My name is Susan, I live in Maryland. I'm in my 50's, and live on a small farm with my husband and college age kids. HoundsCroft is the name of our farm, we have 2 Irish Wolfhounds, 2 cats, and 6 horses. I have my 27 year old TWH mare, who I bred and trained. She is a versatility champ, and is retired because of a hip injury (not according to her though!). I have my son's old pony a 21 year old Icelandic cross. 2 TWH long yearlings, one buckskin we bred that we had to hand raise (mare rejected) and her palomino half sister we bought from the stallion owner. I also have a TWH mare I bought who was starved and lame. a year of good care and some work and she is now sound, healthy and looking for a forever home. I also picked up a SSH gelding from New Holland auction this summer, he is coming along very well and will soon be ready to be someone's perfect trail horse. I tend to buy horses no one wants, vet them, train them, then find them good homes. I call it 'recycling.' The fillies are my future trail/show/versatility mounts. Since I don't plan to ride the fillies until they are 4, I am always on the lookout for a TWH that my husband would like that I can ride now while the babies grow up then he can take over so we can ride the trails together.

I have shown, trained, taught lessons, run a boarding barn, was president of a TWH club, and been involved it pushing legislation for the benefit of horses and animals. Now I just ride my horses on the trails, do my bit of recycling, and keep up my memberships in TROT and OPRC.

We bought our farm because it is on the edge of a state park, and some of the best trails in MD. If anyone wants to ride the trails with me, come on down!

My old girl, Shadow

Riding the beach in Delaware in March!

Davidh

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:54 pm »

My name is David I have a beautiful wife and daughter who are also members of this board. I just started riding thanks to my wifes wonderful horse RDI Amante. RIP buddy... I'll never forget you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up