verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: *  (Read 2434 times)

gallatingal

Re: Clogged Tail Hair Shafts or ???
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »

Maybe in the spring when the weather clears, you can load her up and take her to a vet to get some x-rays. I have seen tendons take months to heal, so if it is something like that she may be better come spring.
Life is short, buy the pony!

Ozhorse

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 06:34:11 pm »

Mona, I lost track of the other thread.  Did you ever work out where you think her lameness is?  Do you have a theory yourself of what is wrong with her? I am curious because I watched all the videos of her.

My QH gelding was off in a front foot for 6 months, then lame for another 6, and had expensive diagnositc tests which were not conclusive of anything but at least pinned down the area where the pain was (navicular area of one foot she thought possibly damaged tiny tendons) then had special shoeing, then pretty much another year off in a paddock  alone (partly due to other circumstances).  But now with me shoeing him every 4 weeks with Cytek shoes, is sound and standing up to fairly hard work on rocky ground.  Just saying that sometimes they do get better.

I completely get it about selling her because you need to get on with riding and she gets in the way of another horse. Ultimately all we ever really have is time.  While ever she is sitting in the paddock you are not off having lifes memorable riding experiences.

Perhaps while you are waiting for her to sell you could take your own best guess as what is wrong and if there is a treatment you think might help do that in the meantime.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:02:41 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Ozhorse

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 12:06:57 am »

Thanks for the explanation Mona.  It is interesting for me to hear the follow up.  You have really been very thorough.  I really think you have made a sound decision in not doing anything that will cost more money.  All the money you do not spend on her can go toward another horse.

Distance is a big cost factor.  My shoeing situation and yours are very similar.  The one local farrier wants at least $250 per trip - I only have one horse that needs shoes, but he needs them every 4 weeks - 6 or 7 week shoeings may have been contributing to his problems before - and no way can I afford that when I do have the option of doing them myself.  I dont like doing them myself, but I do like have a sound horse to ride.

I would not get a horse chiropractor or massage person either.  I am not convinced they are effective, or effective enough for the money.  Five hours drive is way too far to get a professional to come.  The same goes for the vets, they probably could not do more than recommend rest either.  The vet was going to X-ray without looking at the horse first !!!!  Not someone to bother with in future.  He probably would not have diagnosed anthing at all so you had your money saved there.

It looks like you are in the same situation that people were in the old old days, that they had to rely on themselves.  At least these days we have the net.  Good luck with her.

meely3

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 05:30:21 am »

I wouldn't waste the money on a chiro or massage myself. Whatever is wrong with her looks like something serious to me, not a minor muscle soreness or a something small in her hooves.   She might be trying to heal up and every time you try to make her run, she reinjures herself. You could try giving her a solid 2 months without asking her for anything, then take another 4 weeks slowly asking for a little more work at the gait or trot before you ask her to run.  She's a nice enough mare that hopefully someone will want her as a broodmare if she doesn't come sound. But what a shame. I always thought I had the worst luck with horses, but I really think you might have me beat.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:14 am »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:02:54 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

gallatingal

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »

I just see it from a different viewpoint. If the mare can be sound enough to be  rideable for the kind of riding you do, it is probably cheaper to get her evaluated to find that out rather than getting another horse bought and transported, and maybe end up with the same thing.. too green, too forward, not sound.   You could run through several thousand more dollars doing that.
I lived on Orcas Island for 11 years out in the middle of Puget Sound, but we did have vets, although they were "all animal" vets and not just Large animal, and farriers there including myself, so it is hard for me to imagine someplace so remote that that is not the case. I know that you and OZhorse appear to live in just that kind of place, so it is my imagination that is lacking.
Life is short, buy the pony!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up