Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: *  (Read 2433 times)

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:50:13 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:56:46 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

kckc

Re: Clogged Tail Hair Shafts or ???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:50:55 pm »

that is beyond weird !   I'd send that to a good vet somewhere with those pictures!   I googled and only thing that sounded close was this snippet..

**Its not a worm. Its a scaly growth of skin cells that dies off faster and may have connections with ear plaque. It has not been determined weather the growth like peices that come off the tail bone is related to the warty like growth in horse's ears known as Ear Plaque. Its a scaley like growth in ears that can be rather unsightly and is caused (carried) mostly by black flies and those stupid little midges by the papilloma virus.

However, I have seen these and they do just pull off rather easy and some have a bit of blood from it and some dont. THe pony (Puddles) I cared for on the little farm I worked at had this kind of stuff on the tip of his tail bone and it was thick and crusty like. I would wash the tail and then pic out some of the heavier gunk but it always came back. I have noticed that Coal Tar seems to help keep it from getting icky and I say that the coal tar removes the oils, scales (dead skin) and make its hard for the stuff to collect in the hair after its formed. There is not a whole lot you can do about it except just keep the area clean. Coal Tar can be found in stuff usualy used for psoriasis and seborea dermatitis. Nutragena T-Gel, even the generic stuff works and if you can get coal tar extract itself (hard to find) you dilute it like you would for ppl use and use it.

Again, it has not be confirmed that it has any links to the Papilloma virus causing ear plaque. I dont even think any research has actually been done on the stuff. Just speculation.

I think (and this is just my theory only) that it has more to do with severe seborea dermatitis. But most of the time the skin cells that die off rapidly in the area doesnt have a blood supply like you stated that it did when you pulled it off. Warty growths can and do until they are dead. I often wonder if there is a link some how, some way between papilloma virus and type of seborea. but thats my ponderings on that. **
NC

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:59:46 pm »

found another place that said mentioned a pushed out hair follicle.  since horses have oil sort of coming from the follicle maybe that's adding to the cradlecrap but the protruding things could just be hair follicles that are being pushed out. 

NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 05:56:08 pm »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:57:02 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:22 pm »

Wow--I've never seen anything like that on a horse (or any other critter for that matter).  Will be interesting to see more followup from you on how/if this changes over time.  I know that your temps won't allow frequent washing of that area, but as often as possible, and watchful waiting?
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 07:57:56 pm »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:57:13 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare

OldnOrnery

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:19 pm »

I have NO idea what that is. Did you wash it off and take a look with a magnifying glass or loupe? Parasites immediately come to mind. Bots? I've never seen them on the tail, only on the back of the front legs

I'm having trouble thinking that's a hair follicle. You've probably done color testing that required you to pull tail hairs. I have. The follicles are small round and  proportionate to the thickness of the hair shaft.

Any chance they are splinters from rubbing her dock? I know my mares get astounding quantities of gunk between their teats and that's supposed to be a major cause of tail rubbing (along with parasites).

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 10:10:15 pm »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:57:33 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:31:48 am »

Interesting,

When I was reading this, I kept thinking of stud tail that tom cats can get, http://www.purrinlot.com/cat-stud-tail.htm

hope you can figure out what is going on.

Raylin

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:32:03 am »

Wow, that is really gnarly looking.  What kind of salve are you using to keep the problem areas soft?  Curious because I've realized that this looks similar to (but way MORE) than a sorta waxy buildup that Skeeter shows at the base of his  mane==not whole length of it, only on about 1/4 of the length of it. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:15:18 am »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:57:55 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare

kckc

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 09:09:05 am »

I was reading about manes/tails after you started this thread and read that their tail hairs have a lubricating sebum excreted from oil glands at the base of the hair follicles.   That sort of looks like overactive excretion maybe or crowded oil glands.   One of my mares gets a lot of wax between her teats while the other doesn't.  I wonder if it's the same oil type production?   I wonder if you could just change her food to get some changes started?   

http://www.moniteausaddleclub.com/horses_tail.htm
NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 09:58:21 am »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:58:13 pm by Mona »
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare

kckc

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 10:05:12 am »

could she be lacking something?  some mineral?     I wonder if a product like banixx would do anything?  or maybe plain vinegar?    it would seem she needs nothing that would block the pores or follicles so nothing oily or anything.   ?
NC

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 10:20:03 am »

Wow, Mona, that is scary looking crud. I have been googling, but not coming up with anything. I would say get a vet out, but I know that's not an easy option for you. I did wonder if you might be feeding extra flax and I see you are. Flax is generally a good thing, but I wondered if it might be making this particular horse's coat too oily.

I have no expertise or experience to offer, but if this were my horse, I would avoid any kind of oily salves on that. You don't want anything pore or follicle clogging, I don't think. The first thing I would try is No Thrush powder. If no improvement in a couple weeks, I think I would switch to tea tree oil (melaleuca).

Also keep in mind, this could be an infection, possibly even MRSA, that you don't want to contract yourself, so wear disposable gloves and keep your hands scrubbed.

You might also want to worm her with ivermectin.

Do keep us updated and good luck getting this resolved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up