Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: abscess  (Read 367 times)

2gaits

abscess
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:51:53 am »

My mare has developed an abscess. Went out yesterday to ride and she was lame. She kept holding her foot up to me like she was trying to tell me where it hurt and to fix it. My husband checked it today and it is high in the heel. Hopefully it works down and he can open it. First time I've ever had to deal with an abscess in all the years I've had horses.

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: abscess
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:10 pm »

You can help it along by soaking her foot in Epsom salts. One of my mares had an abscess this fall and I regret that I didn't soak it daily until it erupted. If it's high in her heel, don't be surprise if it blows out the top of the heel bulb.

kckc

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

I agree - soak warm as much as you can - provides comfort as well as getting it to come to a head.   I've had several that came up instead of down.  ick.  but the relief for the horse was evident.
NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:14 pm »

Awww, poor girl.  Hopefully it will work it's way out soon so she will get relief from it.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Kellie in OR

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:27:22 pm »

Make a poultice out of rolled oats (your breakfast cereal, not instant). Add hot water with Epsom salts to the oats, let seep until they won't burn, then pack them around the hoof, wrap in a diaper and duct tape. This is soothing and will draw it out.

G84me

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:54 pm »

Kellie,

Thanks for that recipe for a poultice.  Hope I NEVER need it, but this sounds like it would work great.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

2gaits

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:12 pm »

Thanks for the poultice recipe. Went and checked on her today and she seemed to be better and putting weight on it more. My husband is going to check her tomorrow.

Hatcherdm

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:36 am »

another well used poultice is making a mixture of sugar mixed with betadine solution, pack on hoof and wrap baby diaper. It will also draw the abscess.
Good luck
Diane from New Freedom, Pa
home to 4 icelandics and 1 TWH
Pages: [1]   Go Up