Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another reason for me to never feed bagged grain  (Read 305 times)

oncidium

Another reason for me to never feed bagged grain
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:06 pm »

If this has been posted here PLEASE delete this thread.  Wouldn't want to duplicate and cause any discourse.

Wonder what this feed additive was?  Black walnuts of some form? Does anybody know?  The info has to be out there since it is known diagnosis the horses will die.

So sad.  This is a high number to die. 

This is yet another reason I do not feed a bag of grain.  One never knows what the label says is what it is. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/16/florida-stable-prepares-to-lose-18-horses-that-ate-contaminated-feed-4-have/?intcmp=ob_homepage_US&intcmp=obnetwork

O

We can't change what we have done, but we can change what we do.

kckc

Re: Another reason for me to never feed bagged grain
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:08:54 pm »

I think this was previously brought up - if it's the same thing it's horse feed that is mixed in the same mixing bins that have not properly had some cattle chemical cleaned out of it.   the cattle chemical is, as I recall, fatal to horses.   really sad.
NC

oncidium

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »

Sorry - hadn't heard of this.  Still, very sad.  For the horses to be fed this, sounds more less of cleaning of the bins, and more of the chemicals were just added to the feed.  Still sad all the way around.  I have seen horses die of Tansy poisoning, very sad to see. 

Edited to add:

You are correct about cattle chemicals.  I did a search.

Here is a dec 15 article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-horses-dying-davie-20141215-story.html

"….in a statement Monday that testing from the Florida Department of Agriculture confirmed late last month that monensin and lasalocid — another additive to promote growth for other types of farm animals, but toxic to horses — were present in some of its horse feed."

"…..testing of the feed, conducted at the horse owners' request, came back positive for monensin, a powerful medication used in poultry and cattle feeds. Monensin is too strong for horses, and there is no antidote."

"On Sunday, Foxy's body was becoming bloated and her face was swelling, especially around her temples and jaws. The symptoms are a sign of heart or kidney failure, or possibly both. The veterinarian was called and Foxy was put down."

O

"It is the time you have lost for your rose that makes your rose so important."  The Little Prince

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:22:39 pm by Oncidium »

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:33:18 pm »

Such a sad situation for the horses and their owners.  :'(
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Pages: [1]   Go Up