Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13934 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2018, 01:22:13 pm »

Yesterday was puppy grading day!  I met my show handler at John's Mom's house (it was on her way to a show), and we went over puppies.  So here's our keeper (a boy)!

2018-06-28_03-10-21 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-06-28_03-11-00 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-06-28_03-11-10 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

His name will be Woodland's Time Traveler, call name Doctor (Doc).  It goes along with River's Doctor Who themed name.

The litter was SO consistent choosing was really hard.  If these puppies don't convince people to breed to Forrest, nothing will.

2 pups leave this weekend, 1 on July 11th, 1 on July 15th, and I still need to firm up when the last boy goes home. 

I also brought River home yesterday.  She has some kind of skin thing going on in a single spot in the middle of her back.   It started on Saturday, so we're off to the vet Monday evening to find out what the heck it is.  She can't decide if it hurts or itches though, so we're just avoiding it.  In the meantime, antibiotics and manuka honey.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #391 on: July 01, 2018, 05:44:50 am »

Forrest got a sporting group 2 yesterday!  Woot!!  I was looking at shadowboxes for his group 4 ribbon & picture yesterday....and now a group 2!!  Super thrilled!!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #392 on: July 01, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »

And a sporting group 4 today!  3 group placements in 3 weeks!  So excited! 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2018, 08:44:27 am »

Pictures from a GREAT dog show weekend:

Saturday's Group 2
2018-07-02_10-32-52 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Sunday's Group 4
2018-07-02_10-32-35 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

And back to being just a regular dog on Monday
2018-07-02_10-32-13 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

LOVE that he's able to have down days just running around, getting muddy and being a dog.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #394 on: July 04, 2018, 07:02:00 pm »

We took the plunge today:

2018-07-04_08-50-43 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

John worries about me hauling the horse trailer to dog shows, so when I started browsing RVs, he told me to buy one :-)

I picked this out.  It's a 2004 Fleetwood Jamboree 24' self contained Class C RV. 

Its old, and has 71k miles on it, but it runs well, everything works, has an onan generator built in, and everything works in it.  The rear tires were dry rotted, so I had the dealer order new tires.  If they come in and are installed by Saturday, I'll pick it up Saturday morning.  If not, delivery will have to wait until the tires are done. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2018, 10:02:25 am »

It was a VERY long day on Saturday picking the motorhome up.  They got the tires on Friday, but didn't put them on, so we did the walk through at 10 a.m. on the trailer and THEN they went to put the new tires on, which were the wrong ones, so they found replacements local, but it was 4 p.m. before I headed home.

So more pictures!

2018-07-09_11-08-20 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-07-09_11-09-25 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-07-09_11-08-52 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-07-09_11-09-08 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

And last but not least, I can fit at least 3 and maybe 4 crates in the cab over bed!

2018-07-09_11-14-03 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

I'm not a fan of dinettes....in my experience, 20 minutes sitting at a dinette makes your butt fall asleep, so my plan is to leave the dinette in a bed and make a daybed out of it, with lots of pillows and bolsters so it's comfy to hang out on and watch TV or read.  I'll find a place to stow away a snack tray that I can use for meals or as an end table.  I figure I'll use the dinette/daybed with the existing cushions initially.  If it's not comfortable I'll need to decide between a foam topper or a real twin mattress, which is a little more complicated.  I need 2" for that, which is doable but a little more complicated because the water pump is in one of the benches so I need to have easy access to winterize.

I ordered really pretty daybed bedding and a matching bedspread & pillows for the full bed in the back, also light colored and bright (but with a navy throw blanket for protection for icky days), and a tan slip cover for the chair in the corner.   It's all from Target so none was expensive, but should freshen the place up a bit.

The drive home from the dealership (Camping World) was an adventure.  I pulled out of the parking lot and the camper door flew open!  I got out, closed the door, drove another 100 yards, and it flew open again.  Lesson in that is to deadbolt the door!  They left me with fumes in the tank, so I asked for directions to the nearest gas station.  John had told me 2nd light make a left and there was a WAWA right there.  Dealership said 2nd light make a RIGHT.  I figured they were right, so made the right, drove 3 miles and then had to turn around and do what John said (Yup, the guy at the dealership gave me wrong directions!).  Anyway, I managed to get fueled up, got a soda and got on the road.

Now I'm a little freaked after the camper door opened up on me twice.  I get on the road and every time I go over a bump it sounds like 2 cookie sheets are being slammed into each other!  Totally unnerving, and I couldn't figure out what it was!  By the time I got home I had it figured out.  The grate on top of the stove bounced and slammed going over every bump!  The little rubber grommets that snug and cushion the corners were long gone (they are ordered now). 

Long-term plan is to paint all the cabinetry, maybe a blue like the kennel cabinets on the bottom and cream on the top, which should make it all brighter and bigger looking.  I removed the screen door yesterday since I think that was also another big source of rattling.  With the dogs in the motorhome, I won't use the screen door....it's just not secure enough.  It DOES have the electric step sensor on it, so John said he'd drill the rivets out for me and we'd get it set up on the camper door before my first trip (a week from Friday).  I'm REALLY trying to not turn this into another project for John, but when I offered to buy a new sensor ($20) he said no. 

The only other weird thing was the original specifications found on fleetwood's website said it had a 55 gallon gas tank.  When I filled up it took 29 gallons.  They couldn't pump any more into it and the gauge read full.  Now looking at Ford's site, it appears to be a cutaway van, not a stripped chassis van, so it should have a 37 gallon tank, which makes way more sense.   

Anyway, I'm excited!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »

Another pup went home yesterday (she went to a "relative" of the GHS board!!  Johneny's sister!!), so we're down to 3. 

2018-07-12_02-52-46 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Our little boy, Doc, is on the right.  The middle girl leaves on Sunday, and the boy on the left is going home on the 26th (his family is on vacation).

So more "Tardis" pictures.  Some of the bedding arrived yesterday.  LOVE it!  I bought the matching daybed set for the dinette, which is supposed to arrive Monday.

2018-07-12_02-52-07 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Pillows are on order...they arrive Saturday.

The kitchen is getting outfitted.  Unfortunately the microwave is broken, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that.  I do use it when we travel with the horse trailer, sometimes cooking extra and packing leftovers, so I will miss it if we don't replace it.

2018-07-12_02-52-23 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

And I did get 3 nice sized crates to fit up over the cab.  We've figured out how we're going to secure them, and still give the dogs a place to step up before they go into their crates, hopefully we get that worked out this weekend, once the truck is out of the shop so we can get some supplies (that's another whole story).

The truck....the engine off sensor code and an airbag code were recurring (John can read/clear the codes).  We took it to the regular shop we use, but because it was several codes, they didn't want to touch it, so off to the dealer it goes (that was Thursday...a week ago).  They looked at it, wanted their diesel mechanic to look at it on Saturday, turned out it was a fuse causing the airbag problem, and 3 glow plugs were failing...okay, good deal!.  They do the inspection and rear brakes fail.   John said the pedal was getting squooshy, so ok...they need replacing. 

While we were at Camping World on Saturday they called probably 5 times with quote, then another, then another.  By the time we headed home, they were up to $2500 for the rear brakes & glow plugs....can you say STEALERSHIP???

Anyway, they PROMISED to have it done Tuesday.  We've yet to hear from them...and it's Thursday.   

So the other issue with the trailer.  It's supposed to have a full sized bed with the lower right corner cut off...so the bathroom door can open.  As it is now it's hard to get in and out of the bathroom.  I priced the custom mattress and they were $500+!!  I'm thinking that a $35 accordion door makes way more sense than a $500 mattress!  I need to measure and see if there's anything to screw into.  I'm sure we can make it work....and it makes way more $$ sense.

I bit the bullet and went to my GP today to have my hip looked at.  Not sure if it hurts because I'm compensating for my broken foot, but it hurts!  She sent me for x-rays and prescribed Meloxipan (or something like that).  I'll pick it up on the way home. 

She also sent me for bloodwork to make sure it's not lyme.  So far everything has come back normal.  Lyme probably won't be back until tomorrow.

The farrier was out today.  As I watched Encore head up the hill for hay last night, he looked like he might be a little off for a few steps, but then seemed okay (figured I was seeing things).  Nope, he had a pretty bad abscess that opened and was draining.  Poor guy.  Farrier said to put him on SMZs, which I have, and to soak in epsom salt if he'll let us.  We shall see.  I'm supposed to call him if he's not getting around better by this time tomorrow since he was worse after he drained it, not better.  Never a dull moment.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #397 on: July 13, 2018, 07:22:49 am »

Statistics are out... Forrest is the #14 Brittany in the country after being campaigned for 3 months!  YAY!!!!  At least 7 of the dogs ranked above him have been out being campaigned for at least 18 months longer than him, and many have been out multiple years (results are from 1/1/18 - 6/30/18, but the judges KNOW them).  I'm thrilled!  Those are the "all breed" statistics.  He's #25 in the breed stats.  I'm hoping the Top 20 at our Nationals is the top 20 from both lists.  An invite would be SO cool!  If he can finish the year in the top 20 in both lists, we may leave him out with Gina next year to see how he does out for an entire year.  Hopefully she gets his coat issues worked out (he has nice coat quality, just not a lot of coat...which is supposed to be preferable, but isn't).

Anyway, YAY Forrest!!!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #398 on: Today at 07:04:15 am »

And then there were 2!  Puppies, that is.  The last of the girls went home yesterday.  Bridger, the boy we're not keeping, is staying another 10 days while his family is on vacation.

I went sailing with John on Saturday, then Sunday morning we worked on The Tardis.  Power was an issue.  Everything worked while plugged in and on generator.  Nothing worked on battery.  John assumed the batteries needed replacing, but it turned out that the wire run between the batteries and the fuse box was bad.  Who'd have thought!   Poor guy was laying under the Tardis running wires yesterday, but everything works now!!  YAY!! 

So in addition to that, I took down the bathroom door.  The RV was designed to have a bed in the back with the right lower corner cut off, but that mattress had been replaced with a regular full sized mattress (which looks brand new), which made the bathroom VERY difficult to get in.  It's only a 20" door to start with, and then you could only open it a third of the way with the mattress in the way.

So I priced the mattresses with the corner cut off...$500!  YIKES!   Then it dawned on me....accordion door! And if it didn't work, it was $60 wasted, which I can live with.  But it worked!!  I found these reusable zip tie things at Home Depot that I originally purchased to tie the crates together, but had a couple left over.  So they've been repurposed to tie the accordion door open when in transit, kind of like the pocket door used on the bathroom in our horse trailer. 

2018-07-16_08-09-13 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-07-16_08-10-03 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

My other project this weekend was to install a hinged platform over the cab so the dogs have somewhere to step into their crates from.  It'll keep the sliding floor from sliding so the crates will be more secure, and it can be pushed up to step out of the front seats without banging your head. 

2018-07-16_08-11-26 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

I may also be able to hang a privacy curtain from it while I decide what I want to use going forward.  I ordered one of those reflective windshield things, but I couldn't find door window ones.  Anyway, our maiden voyage is Friday!  I think a girlfriend is coming with me (my best friend all through school moved 10 miles away recently).  I don't think she's ever been to a dog show, but her husband went back on 2nd shift so she's home alone lots.  We'll have fun!

OH!  Also got 97 bales of hay put up on Saturday morning.   Encore is moving better, thank goodness.  One more day of SMZs and he should be good to go.  Trav's rear feet have grown enough/healed so he's been cleared for riding too! 
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up