Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13399 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2018, 07:51:12 am »

Jen was due this coming Saturday, so I spent this past Saturday getting the sun room set up for Moo & her puppies and cleaning and sanitizing the spare room where Moo & company have been residing.  I had another breeder coming over on Sunday to visit and talk about her plans (she is considering a Moo puppy and breeding a girl she already has to Forrest).

Well, thank goodness I got Moo and babies all moved into their new digs, because Jenny went into labor on Sunday and delivered 6 babies on Monday!  In true NoJenny style she relaxed and appeared to be all done at 1:30 in the afternoon on Monday, so I went and showered and took a nap, having been up all night with her, and the little stinker delivered another baby!  At around 6 that evening I was checking in on her on the camera we have set up in the room, and thought I counted 6!  Sure enough, there was 6!  And the last one was still wet so she delivered it 3+ hours after #5!  Our final count is 4 girls and 2 boys.  They were HUGE puppies!  She had a 1 lb puppy!!  And she's not a big dog. 

This will definitely be her last litter.  We will keep pick of this litter, regardless of gender.  As of last night, the pups were either at their birth weight or a tiny bit over, so everyone is doing great!  After Jenny got so sick last time, we're totally neurotic about her, but so far so good.  We're off to the vet tomorrow for tails & dewclaws, and I'm going to ask him to give Jenny a thorough once over, maybe check her calcium and do a WBC count. 

So here are Jenny's babies!  Lots of color on these babies.  Can't wait to watch them grow!
2018-05-09_09-35-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Now Moo's babies have reached the 'OMG they're so cute' stage.

2018-05-09_09-36-27 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-05-09_09-37-09 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-05-09_09-37-23 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

The difference 2 weeks makes!

And the bad news...as I was standing in the sun room last night watching a bird attack itself in the tinted window, I noticed Trav standing funny.  I went out to check him and by the time I got to the gate, everyone was standing in stalls for dinner, so I fed, and while they ate, I shoveled a couple of wheel barrow of poo out of the paddock (I'm chipping away at the winter mess).  When he came out of his stall, he hobbled into the run in.  His fetlock is swollen and he's tip toe-ing around on his right rear.

So I dragged him out to our "quarantine area"....a corner of the front yard, and set him up with hay & water, and gave him a little grain withe a previcox in it.  If I had to guess, I'd say he's working on an abscess, but what do I know.  Today is my vet's day off, and I refuse to bother him for anything that isn't a dire emergency, so I contacted the farrier, who thinks it's an abscess and said he'd come take a look.  Hopefully that's it, he blows it soon, and is back to himself.  Prayers for Trav please!!

Never a dull moment.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #376 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:02 pm »

Poor Trav!

2018-05-09_06-58-46 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

My farrier said some gravel migrated up between the white line and laminae, and with every step it forced white line separation.  He had to cut through the hoof wall to clean it all out.  Luckily no puss, no infection, and he's already getting around a little better.  He's on the front lawn for the next couple days (at least) and will probably get rear shoes next week.

No one will ever say that Woodland Acres is a boring place.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #377 on: May 10, 2018, 05:50:52 am »

Trav was running the fence line for his breakfast this morning, so he's obviously feeling better!  YAY!!  He'll stay in the yard for another couple of days (it's easier to keep his foot clean there than in the paddock), but he's definitely on the mend.

Vet appointment at 10:15 this morning for tails & dewclaws. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2018, 05:57:26 pm »

What 18 looks like:

2018-05-10_07-38-26 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2018, 07:06:26 am »

Fun weekend despite the rain.  Trav is doing great.  Still on the front lawn (which is now a mud hole), but he's running around and being stupid, so he's feeling good.  Puppies are all doing great! Moo's are 3 weeks old, Jenny's a week old today.  Moo's pups started on puppy food (put through a blender with a bunch of water until it's almost soupy) this weekend, and by this morning they were definitely getting the hang of it.  I have 1 puppy going to a show home, which is exciting, and then one of Jenny's puppies is staying.

John said I was feeding the girls too much and making them too fat, so I backed off 1 meal a day for 2 days (they were getting 4 meals), and this morning he said Moo is starting to look thinner...she needs the 4th meal (sometimes I DO know what I'm doing). 

I got a message from Nola this morning that she has someone (a repeat customer) coming up from VA on Wednesday to see Bailey, so fingers crossed!  She also took him to a horse show this past weekend and one of the other trainers there thought he might be perfect for a couple of her clients, so we're finally seeing some "action" on him.  Hopefully he finds himself a great home...and soon.
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up